Plants Can Sense Touch, Smell, and Even Hear Themselves Being Eaten

Discussion in 'Critical Discussions Among Proponents and Skeptics' started by Pollux, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Pollux

Pollux New

Plants Can Sense Touch, Smell, and Even Hear Themselves Being Eaten

Do Plants Respond to Pain?

http://preventdisease.com/news/15/0...Touch-Smell-Hear-Themselves-Being-Eaten.shtml

Stefano Mancuso - The roots of plant intelligence

Stefano Mancuso - In the mind of plants http://www.georgofili.world/detail.aspx?id=182

Ian Gordon, Laird, EthanT and 7 others like this.
  2. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger New

I just posted about this debate on the forums in another thread! Didn't know you posted this.

3. north

north Member

4. Imperial Philosopher

Imperial Philosopher New

Well, checkmate vegans, turns out plants have feelings too.

Honestly this isn't that surprising. While plants obviously don't react as quickly to stimuli as animals, they would need a mechanism of perceiving things so they could make whatever adjustments a plant can possibly make.

Doppelgänger likes this.
  5. Laird

Laird Member

It's more of a check than a checkmate, evaded by embracing fruitarianism, defining fruit by the botanical definition, and including seeds and nuts. It actually doesn't change one's (vegan) diet that much.

Roberta likes this.
  6. Roberta

Roberta Member

When you say 'checkmate' Vegans I hope you don't mean that Vegan now = bad. It still takes more plants from feeding the animals we eat then just eating them ourselves, and this doesn't mean that plants can suffer and have the experience of suffering to the same degree that animals can.

Cheers!

Roberta

7. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger New

I think he might have been joking with the "checkmate vegans" since he followed it up with, "Honestly..."

Count me in the camp of plants being able to experience. Doesn't mean I would shame vegans over it. I also wouldn't shame the cheetah. The problem is how we currently practice agriculture and factory farming, IMO, of course.

8. Grorganic

Grorganic New

What if plants aren’t autotrophs after all? What if plants were the first “farmers”? What if Darwin was right with his “Root-Brain” hypothesis? We are learning so much about plants that should be plastered all over the news as major discoveries but unless you are a plant geek (me) or a cannabis grower (all my neighbors), you’d probably never know…

9. E.Flowers

E.Flowers New

He was not being serious. But vegans, like any other advocacy group nowadays, are feeling the backlash of over-exposition to SJW policing and of people being told that what they do is "bad".

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Doppelgänger likes this.
  10. Roberta

Roberta Member

Yes I know, people are sensitive and don't like to think that their behaviour or views might be wrong. So it's easy to call people who call you out on this stuff 'SJW's' and act like you're the victim.

11. Roberta

Roberta Member

Well of course you wouldn't shame Vegans for it, as Vegan diet uses less plants then a standard one does.

12. E.Flowers

E.Flowers New

I think that the areas of interest for SJWs are well defined. And I don't think that veganism is necessarily one of them, but it is distinctly leftist, and will get swept in the wave nonetheless.

13. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger New

Yes, of course! I think we are on the same side here, though?

14. Roberta

Roberta Member

Probably!

Hug?

15. Roberta

Roberta Member

Nope, compassion for animals isn't just a 'leftist' or 'SJW' thing, unless you're saying only left wingers have those traits?

I am left wing but I've spoke to plenty of Vegans that are right wing, some are even neo nazis (alt-right).

16. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger New

For sure. Earth First! was started by those whom we would now consider as "right" who were concerned about conservation.

17. E.Flowers

E.Flowers New

How many of them are actually into activism?

18. David Bailey

David Bailey Administrator

I have come to realise that left vs right means almost nothing, it is just a form of lazy journalism, or the terms are simply used abusively.

If you have a pet cat, you meet the ultimate contradiction - a cat will only remain healthy with a meat diet, but that means other animals being killed to feed her. Hopefully the cat food will mostly be made out of the parts of other animals that humans don't like, but if you are vegetarian and have a cat (as many vegetarians do), you can't avoid the contradiction.

David

tim likes this.
  19. Laird

Laird Member

Not necessarily. There are vegan cat foods out there, and apparently many cats can/will eat them, although it is apparently also harder than feeding a dog a vegan diet.

Roberta likes this.
  20. Roberta

Roberta Member

How many of who? Vegans in general or?