Mod+ Previous Episodes of Skeptiko

Well, I'm sort of posting to myself, but for posterity, if nothing else. Since I started dabbling at these shows with my own questions, I consistently felt like I was clinging to slightly understood concepts or perhaps misunderstood foundational ideas. Starting about early 2012, I found myself listening to some of the shows several times to attempt to get a grasp of what was being said and discussed. About 9 months ago, I felt it was appropriate to "start at the beginning" and give myself a good chance of coming up to speed in my own time. (No, I'm not unemployed or independently wealthy with massive free time, but I do have many hours of travel time each month. Downloaded podcast can be a really great way to turn unproductive time into a worth while project like this).

Having listened to each and every episode in chronological order, I can now say I have a greater appreciation for a lot of the completely in depth and concept rich comments in the forum. I appreciate the ideas behind a lot of the observations, and indeed the shows themselves, in a more informed and full way now. Just today, I finished this "project" by listening to Podcast #256 from 14 October 214, featuring Dr. Degracia, "What is Science".

So there I have it. But why? Well - I happened upon Alex's "Skeptiko" a few years ago and was immediately taken in by the first three points below. The rest of the points are "where" I've personally arrived at since going through the 256 shows (minus the few missing orphan shows in cyberspace somewhere).

1) A responsible and intellectual approach to asking the questions about our critical "fit and purpose" within our Universe, as far as consciousness is concerned
2) Consistently bringing in a set of interesting, intelligent, credible and relevant guests onto the show
3) These guests have a diverse set of opinions, worldviews and belief systems (many shows I did not expect to enjoy became some of my favorite shows)
4) Dedication to asking some informed, probing questions of these guest positions, and not just publishing infomercials on a guest's latest book
5) Allowing worldview adaptability yet honestly trying to apply scientific principals to the lens our world is viewed with
6) Calling belief systems for what they are and yet allowing those belief systems to exist in the shared space we all occupy - be they Atheist, New Age, Religious or Scientism.
7) Skepticism is a process and not a position. Science is a process and not a position. Belief systems are a position. I don't feel owned by any of these right now and I feel more free to explore my own questions in light of my own observations and "probability waves". Yes, that's a little out there.
8) This show has brought a lot of material forward for my own observation that I would not have had the access to or the insight to seek before. Thank you!

Well, I'm sort of posting to myself, but for posterity, if nothing else. Since I started dabbling at these shows with my own questions, I consistently felt like I was clinging to slightly understood concepts or perhaps misunderstood foundational ideas. Starting about early 2012, I found myself listening to some of the shows several times to attempt to get a grasp of what was being said and discussed. About 9 months ago, I felt it was appropriate to "start at the beginning" and give myself a good chance of coming up to speed in my own time. (No, I'm not unemployed or independently wealthy with massive free time, but I do have many hours of travel time each month. Downloaded podcast can be a really great way to turn unproductive time into a worth while project like this).

Having listened to each and every episode in chronological order, I can now say I have a greater appreciation for a lot of the completely in depth and concept rich comments in the forum. I appreciate the ideas behind a lot of the observations, and indeed the shows themselves, in a more informed and full way now. Just today, I finished this "project" by listening to Podcast #256 from 14 October 214, featuring Dr. Degracia, "What is Science".

So there I have it. But why? Well - I happened upon Alex's "Skeptiko" a few years ago and was immediately taken in by the first three points below. The rest of the points are "where" I've personally arrived at since going through the 256 shows (minus the few missing orphan shows in cyberspace somewhere).

1) A responsible and intellectual approach to asking the questions about our critical "fit and purpose" within our Universe, as far as consciousness is concerned
2) Consistently bringing in a set of interesting, intelligent, credible and relevant guests onto the show
3) These guests have a diverse set of opinions, worldviews and belief systems (many shows I did not expect to enjoy became some of my favorite shows)
4) Dedication to asking some informed, probing questions of these guest positions, and not just publishing infomercials on a guest's latest book
5) Allowing worldview adaptability yet honestly trying to apply scientific principals to the lens our world is viewed with
6) Calling belief systems for what they are and yet allowing those belief systems to exist in the shared space we all occupy - be they Atheist, New Age, Religious or Scientism.
7) Skepticism is a process and not a position. Science is a process and not a position. Belief systems are a position. I don't feel owned by any of these right now and I feel more free to explore my own questions in light of my own observations and "probability waves". Yes, that's a little out there.
8) This show has brought a lot of material forward for my own observation that I would not have had the access to or the insight to seek before. Thank you!

Cool post, Dude. Skeptiko made huge difference for me as well. My other formative podcasts were Mysterious Universe, for a fun filled and fairly skeptical view of the paranormal. And Buddha at the Gas Pump for a deep dive on spiritual practice and issues.

Wow Skepter thx for the wonderful post. Sorry if you felt out in the cold there for awhile :)

So, gratifying to hear that you had this experience with the material. May sound funny, but I always felt a little weird (not a lot but a little) taking such an interest in these impossible to solve big picture kinda questions. I used to drive around listening to books on tape covering all sorts of stuff that none of my friends or family had much interest in. So, it's great to connect with folks who "get it."

Great post, Skepter. I particularly liked this point you made. IMO, it shows that you really get what scepticism actually is. In the end, I think it's having the personal honesty to admit to agnosticism whatever one's own leanings might be.

Back