Psychic Robots - Psi Could Infuse A.I. Claims Dean Radin

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Psiclops, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Psiclops

Psiclops Member

I'm not really sure whether 'infuse' is the right word but Dr Dean Radin certainly believes that if consciousness is primary it could 'inhabit' (not the correct word either!) a robotic brain and bring with it psychic abilities.
    I found this interview a bit of a mind blower and initially rebelled at this psi-bot idea but then wondered if, as some believe, everything is conscious at some level, then why not a robot?
    Dean plans to explore magic and shamanism in relation to parapsychology and modern science in his forthcoming book and this interview is stack full of topics I know members here will love to analyse and explore.
    Over to you....
    http://runesoup.libsyn.com/talking-psi-and-magic-dr-dean-radin?mc_cid=011ae852cf&mc_eid=a37d50831b

2. malf

malf Member

3. MaxUsernameLimit

MaxUsernameLimit Member

It's a very interesting proposal, it would be like giving life to a new species. I'm neither a believer, nor non-believer in this possibility.

It however reminds me a bit of the Crone - http://weekinweird.com/2016/07/02/t...s-visits-from-a-terrifying-paranormal-entity/

One of the psychics which reviewed the haunted item reported that:

So, if we're to believe what the psychic reports, it seems the Crone has some kind of rudimentary self-consciousness.

Psiclops likes this.
  4. Ah, I guess people can use that one to discuss spirituality and magick as practice but use this one to talk specifically about AI, robots, and Psi.

I think this really depends on what he means by AI, if he just means programs running on Turing Machines I doubt it. But if he means a recreation of relevant aspects of the brain, whatever those might be, then possibly yes. We're likely too early in the exploration of mental characteristics and quantum/field phenomenon to say anything one way or the other for the latter case.

There's already some research, IIRC, suggesting machines don't have mental capacity. It was an article in Edge Magazine, will try to dig it up...

5. Psiclops

Psiclops Member

Thanks (I think) Max. That was the scariest story I'd read for a long time but comforted myself that these Reddit folk make a lot of stuff up and this was yet another fake tale.
    But then it appears this museum and the folk who run it are real, other people are involved, so maybe the phenomena is real.
    I'm never quite convinced with this idea of an object being infused in some way by evil intention so it becomes somehow animated. Surely it's more likely that a spirit becomes emotionally attached to such an object and becomes distressed or angry if it is moved or interfered with.
    It's also possible that because of the nature of the Crone - definitely 'not nice' - then this alone cultivates fear emotion in living people which is maybe something a disturbed spirit might feed off.
    Not quite sure how this all fits in with Radin's concepts - but he never did specify whether the consciousness he thought might inhabit robots had to be good or evil!

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  6. MaxUsernameLimit

MaxUsernameLimit Member

I just wanted to give an example of (supposedly) a semi self-conscious entity, which didn't come to 'life' by the normal organic way (like, supposedly, the super-AI robots should be somehow 'infused' by human intention)

7. Brian_the_bard

Brian_the_bard Lost Pilgrim Member

I wonder if the concept "nature" in this context has any value. Surely real consciousness allows for actions and reactions to be chosen according to the individual situation. What exactly constitutes a good or evil "nature?" Maybe I am bringing up too philosophical an issue for this thread but it would make an interesting discussion elsewhere.

8. Radin mentioned the importance of patterns instantiating minds - there's an article in the Syntropy Journal discussing this question not w/ respect to robots but the convergence of biological life toward intellectual capacity. I think if one accepted the ideas within the paper one could see how particular machines, assuming they are "digging" deep enough to the Infinite, could have psychic capacity:

The logic-mathematics structures and the convergence of cognitive capacities towards the source of this information: the infinity.