Question about Sartori's NDE study

anon

In this thread (http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/why-we-need-skeptics-in-the-skeptiko-forum.332/page-16), fls writes:

"...I could see everybody panicking around me. The blonde lady therapist boss, she was panicking; she looked nervous because she was the one who got me out in the chair. She hid behind the curtains, but kept poking her head around to check on me. I could also see Penny, who was a nurse. She was drawing something out of my mouth, which looked to me like a long, pink lollipop, like a long, pink thing on a stick – I didn’t even know what that was..."

[...]

It is stated in the paper that those quotes come from the transcripts of the interviews. And one can find all of the quotes in the transcripts, except the bolded statements about the physiotherapist. As you are aware, those quotes do not appear in the transcripts.

I do not have access to the transcript, so would someone be able to explain for me the alleged discrepancies that the poster points out here, if it has been addressed by Dr. Sartori or others? If possible, would someone have the transcripts that I would be able to see? (the book is over $100 on Amazon). Thank you.

In this thread (http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/why-we-need-skeptics-in-the-skeptiko-forum.332/page-16), fls writes:

I do not have access to the transcript, so would someone be able to explain for me the alleged discrepancies that the poster points out here, if it has been addressed by Dr. Sartori or others? If possible, would someone have the transcripts that I would be able to see? (the book is over $100 on Amazon). Thank you.

IIRC, from Penny's huge study transcripts, Patient 10 in his first interview refers to an earlier interview he had with Penny that is not included in her study transcripts.

Penny also published a shorter paper with Fenwick, in which she refers to a statement made by Patient 10. That statement doesn't appear in any of the huge study transcripts. It's presumed that the statement is taken from an even earlier interview that patient 10 refers to in his first interview transcript .

As I recall this was all documented in that thread you linked to, but AP who was moderating Skeptiko at that time had a habit of removing large chunks of posts he didn't like, buggering up the discussion.

Penny's study *is* expensive, only I and fls had a copy at that time. Mine is currently buried somewhere in storage. Worth buying though, and if not, it should be available from some sort of reference library service?

Thanks for the response.

Do you know if Dr. Sartori plans to publish the unreleased transcript of the earlier interview? Has she mentioned something about that specific hit? I know that she has addressed one of fls's criticisms in her blog comments, but did not address the bit about the doctor poking in and out.

Thanks for the response.

Do you know if Dr. Sartori plans to publish the unreleased transcript of the earlier interview? Has she mentioned something about that specific hit? I know that she has addressed one of fls's criticisms in her blog comments, but did not address the bit about the doctor poking in and out.

IIRC, I understood from her, that the original documents from her study were boxed up in storage, this was shortly after she had found out she was going to become a mother. I think life just got in the way.

I don't have any doubts that the quote from patient 10, shown in the paper she published with Fenwick, is taken from her studies notes.

In the first published transcript, Patient 10 refers to an earlier interview. From memory he says something like... "I told Penny, and Penny wrote it down."
Suggesting that she did take down some initial notes, and that this is where the statement in question from patient 10 is recorded.

It would be nice for her to retrieve them, and publish them in full. But I don't think that's essential. The paper she published with Fenwick, which contains the pertinent quote from patient 10 seems perfectly adequate in itself. It would be nice to get the whole transcript, but Penny's mammoth study is pretty unusual anyway for containing so much raw data.

You could always write to her.

Back