Quotes Regarding the Mind and Body

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."

~Max Planck

False ego means accepting this body as oneself. When one understands that he is not his body and is spirit soul, that is real ego. Ego is there. False ego is condemned, but not real ego. In the Vedic literature it is said: aham brahmasmi. I am Brahman, I am spirit. This "I am," the sense of self, also exists in the liberated stage of self-realization. This sense of "I am" is ego, but when the sense of "I am" is applied to this false body, it is false ego. When the sense of self is applied to reality, that is real ego. There are some philosophers who say we should give up our ego, but we cannot give up our ego because ego means identity. We ought, of course, to give up the false identification with the body.

- Swami Prabhupada -

"We must suppose that some people have a way of dating their letters in indifference to the calendar, or making entries in their diaries
on the wrong page and never discovering the error; and that whole families have been struck by the collective hallucination that one of their members has made a particular remark, the substance of which has never entered that member's head; and that it is a recognised custom to write mournful letters about bereavements which have never occurred..."

~Myers, Gurney, Podmore
"Phantasms of the Living"

"Why is it so noble and respectable to find whence man came, and so suspicious and dishonorable to ask and ascertain whither he goes?"
~James Hyslop

"Western civilization, it seems to me, stands by two great heritages. One is the scientific spirit of adventure — the adventure into the unknown, an unknown which must be recognized as being unknown in order to be explored; the demand that the unanswerable mysteries of the universe remain unanswered; the attitude that all is uncertain; to summarize it — the humility of the intellect. The other great heritage is Christian ethics — the basis of action on love, the brotherhood of all men, the value of the individual — the humility of the spirit."
- Richard Feynman

- Death is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps, the end of the beginning of eternity.

- Winston Churchill (modified) ;)

The commonest fallacy is to suppose that since the state of doubt is accompanied by a feeling of uncertainty, knowledge arises when this feeling gives way to one of assurance.
---John Dewey

“In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.”

Sir Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal of England

"Western civilization, it seems to me, stands by two great heritages. One is the scientific spirit of adventure — the adventure into the unknown, an unknown which must be recognized as being unknown in order to be explored; the demand that the unanswerable mysteries of the universe remain unanswered; the attitude that all is uncertain; to summarize it — the humility of the intellect. The other great heritage is Christian ethics — the basis of action on love, the brotherhood of all men, the value of the individual — the humility of the spirit."
- Richard Feynman

Hard to believe he said that, but I don't doubt you. :)

The commonest fallacy is to suppose that since the state of doubt is accompanied by a feeling of uncertainty, knowledge arises when this feeling gives way to one of assurance.
---John Dewey
That's the first obvious fail in this thread. First of all - it depends. That assurance may or may not be a sign of knowledge. Second, there are many fallacies and "sometimes fallacies" much more common that that.

That's the first obvious fail in this thread. First of all - it depends. That assurance may or may not be a sign of knowledge. Second, there are many fallacies and "sometimes fallacies" much more common that that.
Of course knowledge might arise sometimes, but how do you know when? Some other method of testing the knowledge is needed.

I like this quote because of its relevance to Internet forums: It suggests that armchair psychoanalysis based on limited interactions with people is probably not worth much. And we all play armchair psychoanalyst at one time or another.

~~ Paul

Of course knowledge might arise sometimes, but how do you know when?l
Some of us know. Of course, many of those who don't will continue to believe that isn't so. That goes back to the belief that everyone's process of engaging actuality is similar. Hence the formation of materialism - something that covers the lowest common denominator. Either way, the quote is a fail.

Some of us know. Of course, many of those who don't will continue to believe that isn't so. That goes back to the belief that everyone's process of engaging actuality is similar. Hence the formation of materialism - something that covers the lowest common denominator. Either way, the quote is a fail.
Ah, I see. You have some magical power that enables you to tell when you've acquired true knowledge and when you haven't. And, of course, you verify each item of knowledge empirically so that you know you aren't filling up your head with nonsense.

~~ Paul

“Consciousness doesn’t dangle outside the physical world as some kind of extra, it’s there right at its heart.”
~David Chalmers

Back