Reasons for banning individuals

How does one ignore moderation? :)
I'd rather we don't discuss this case further, and that Tim returns. I never wanted to remove him, he did that of his own free will - which is why he was able to post higher up this thread - and I'd prefer him to return.

I do try to stop flame wars. They may be amusing at first, but they really mess up threads and indeed whole forums if they continue.

David

@David Bailey

I happened to look in on the forum today, (which I still occasionally do) and I saw that you mentioned me so it's only right that I state this. Unfortunately, what you've written there is simply not correct but I can't be bothered trying to explain the facts of what occurred and why. In a nutshell, I personally find your 'moderation' to be arbitrary, inconsistent and overbearing.

You've got a good intellect, that has to be acknowledged but as a moderator there's something missing IMHO. As I mentioned to you months ago, you seem to want to 'rule the roost' in the manner of a school prefect, singling me out for special attention for reasons best known to yourself. Over forty years ago, I might have put up with that (for a while) but at my age, I don't need it, thank you. Then again, if you're genuinely doing your best then 'que sera' and of course someone has to do the job. So, no I won't be back but just to reiterate, no hard feelings from me, such is life.

My best regards to Alex and the other members ( Malf !... you've got till 2020 my friend)

I'm one of those who is going to be sorry to see you go. I loved your straight talk and your knowledge, and I enjoyed reading about your "weird" experiences as well. But I also understand your reasons for leaving. I told you before that I learned a lot from you (especially about certain NDE cases)! I'm glad that you are out there still posting!

Cheers, Tim!

As folks may have gathered by the strike-through of his name, james_robertson, the new member who started the thread, Do non-Christians ever walk the streets of Heaven in NDEs?, has been banned (not by me), for evangelising an exclusively Christian, perhaps fundamentalist, view of NDEs, whilst ignoring counter-arguments to his claims. It has been suggested that, because he confined himself to a single thread, and was civil, he might be unbanned after a few days.

I think one thing to remember, is that this is a place where some people arrive after having had an NDE, or other mystical experience - and maybe they have found it difficult or impossible to talk to others about what happened. They really do not want to find a fundamentalist preacher here.

Sometimes people are criminally coerced (say to refuse to testify in court) by being threatened with assault - a broken leg, or whatever. When you really come down to it, fundamentalist religion uses the same tactic, except that the threat is of everlasting torture!

David

Sure. though the term 'preacher' has a formal and informal usage. I think in Robertson's case it is the informal variety. Though the chasm between the positions of most (I won't say all) members here and his position may seem vast, unbridgeable, my impression is of someone looking for something.

I do think the act of seeking is in itself a respectable one. Though of course if one starts with a fixed idea of what one intends to find, then it does become somewhat diminished. Still, sometimes this is how discoveries are made - one looks for one thing and finds something else.

I think one thing to remember, is that this is a place where some people arrive after having had an NDE, or other mystical experience - and maybe they have found it difficult or impossible to talk to others about what happened. They really do not want to find a fundamentalist preacher here.

Sometimes people are criminally coerced (say to refuse to testify in court) by being threatened with assault - a broken leg, or whatever. When you really come down to it, fundamentalist religion uses the same tactic, except that the threat is of everlasting torture!

David
I didn't even bother with that thread because the title suggested a very narrow POV. The sad fact of the matter is, almost any place one can go to try and talk about spiritual/mystical experiences will expose an experiencer to someone trying to co-opt such experiences to justify their particular belief system. There are religions, cults, and new-age groups all waiting in the wings hoping to bring you into the fold and turn you into a spokesperson for whatever it is they are selling. I've yet to find an experiencer group where that didn't happen, and I've looked.

Last edited:
Sure. though the term 'preacher' has a formal and informal usage. I think in Robertson's case it is the informal variety. Though the chasm between the positions of most (I won't say all) members here and his position may seem vast, unbridgeable, my impression is of someone looking for something.

I do think the act of seeking is in itself a respectable one. Though of course if one starts with a fixed idea of what one intends to find, then it does become somewhat diminished. Still, sometimes this is how discoveries are made - one looks for one thing and finds something else.
Well if that is the case, all he needs to do, wait a bit, while thinking his approach, and then come back as someone else. In the meantime, he can also read as much as he likes from this forum, which is open to all.

David

Vortex supports pedophilia in the Jay Dyer thread and therefore I reported his post. I hope that he is banned permanently.

I really don't see why James Robertson was banned... it's not like he was going all over the forum preaching. He stayed within the topic he created. He wasn't disrespectful. He had a pretty rigid idea about NDEs that seemed to have been informed by his biased sampling of NDE reports from mainly Christian sources, and he hadn't been exposed to much criticism of his perspective before he came here. No big deal. We provide him with the necessary criticism and counter arguments. We can't expect someone to immediately change his or her mind about something deeply important.

I really don't see why James Robertson was banned... it's not like he was going all over the forum preaching. He stayed within the topic he created. He wasn't disrespectful. He had a pretty rigid idea about NDEs that seemed to have been informed by his biased sampling of NDE reports from mainly Christian sources, and he hadn't been exposed to much criticism of his perspective before he came here. No big deal. We provide him with the necessary criticism and counter arguments. We can't expect someone to immediately change his or her mind about something deeply important.

At least the OP gets to keep his thread... the potentially interesting one last week to which I contributed was deleted and the OP permanently banned in less than 24 hours IIRC.

The intention was good though :)
Yes. The authoritarian apologist, transphobic control freak didn't want someone with strong Christian viewpoints at his "dinner party." Great intentions.

Yes. The authoritarian apologist, transphobic control freak didn't want someone with strong Christian viewpoints at his "dinner party." Great intentions.

Thing is though that if you've already found your answers then you don't need to be in a place where people are looking for answers - especially if you're trying to tell them your answer MUST be there answer too. So there's that....

What do folks think about splitting the Fortean Times / Islamic extremism posts off into a new, separate thread? In particular, does anybody object?

What do folks think about splitting the Fortean Times / Islamic extremism posts off into a new, separate thread? In particular, does anybody object?

As a suggestion? Or did they do it already? I never got there anymore.

It's beside the point for me anyway. To me the Fortean attitude is the polar opposite of the 'Crusader' mentality they have there now. It's not just that there's no discussion or debate - that's to be expected lol - it's more that the Fortean view is to see things from all sides... some of them that you've even made up yourself - and not be wedded to any of them.

But then they are all alt-right morons over there now in the main. Draining of energy.

Back