Richard Bach

Brian_the_bard

Lost Pilgrim
Jonathan Livingston Seagull free PDF
“Sully, I must go back,” he said at last. “Your students are doing well. They can help you bring the newcomers along.”
Sullivan sighed, but he did not argue. “I think I’ll miss you, Jonathan,” was all he said.
“Sully, for shame!” Jonathan said in reproach, “and don’t be foolish! What are we trying to practise every day? If our friendship depends on things like space and time, then when we finally overcome space and time, we’ve destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don’t you think that we might see each other once or twice?”
Sullivan Seagull laughed in spite of himself. “You crazy bird,” he said kindly. “If anybody can show someone on the ground how to see a thousand miles, it will be Jonathan Livingston Seagull.”

ILLUSIONS The adventures of a reluctant messiah
“I don’t know,” he said. “I don’t know where we’re headed.”
“What do you mean? You know the past and the future of all things. You know exactly where we’re going!”
He sighed. “Yeah. But I try not to think about it.”

For a while, as I was working on the cylinders, I got to thinking wow, all I have to do is stay with this guy and there will be no problems, nothing bad will happen and everything will turn out fine. But the way he said that: “I try not to think about it,” made me remember what had happened to the other Messiahs sent into this world. Common sense shouted at me to turn south after takeoff and get as far away from the man as I could get. But as I said, it gets lonely, flying this way alone, and I was glad to find him, just to have somebody to talk with who knew an aileron from a vertical stabilizer.

I should have turned south, but after takeoff I stayed with him and we flew north and east into that future that he tried not to think about.

The Bridge Across Forever

There was another question in the dark, one I had not asked Donald Shimoda, one he'd not answered.
Why should it be that the most advanced of people, whose teachings, twisted into religions, last for centuries, why should it be that they have always been alone? Why never do we see radiant wives or husbands or miraculous equals with whom they share their adventures and their love? They're surrounded by their disciples and their curious, these few we so admire, they're pressed by those who come to them for healing and light. But how often do we find their soulmates, glorious and powerful beloveds right close by? Sometimes? Once in a while?
I swallowed, throat suddenly dry.
Never.
The most advanced people, I thought, they're the ones most alone!

Last edited:

The Bridge Across Forever

There was another question in the dark, one I had not asked Donald Shimoda, one he'd not answered.
Why should it be that the most advanced of people, whose teachings, twisted into religions, last for centuries, why should it be that they have always been alone? Why never do we see radiant wives or husbands or miraculous equals with whom they share their adventures and their love? They're surrounded by their disciples and their curious, these few we so admire, they're pressed by those who come to them for healing and light. But how often do we find their soulmates, glorious and powerful beloveds right close by? Sometimes? Once in a while?
I swallowed, throat suddenly dry.
Never.
The most advanced people, I thought, they're the ones most alone!

I have enjoyed reading a number Richard Bach's books. However I disagree with the quote above, I would provide the following counter examples:
Padmasambhava
Krishna
Rumi
possibly St. Francis and St. Claire

Often religions get caught up in a monastic ideal, but other paths are fruitful.

I have enjoyed reading a number Richard Bach's books. However I disagree with the quote above, I would provide the following counter examples:
Padmasambhava
Krishna
Rumi
possibly St. Francis and St. Claire
We can discount Krishna because he is a deity but otherwise, you make a good point. As a Christian, I don't share Bach's philosophy in detail but I find his writing very liberating and full of interesting ways of looking at life. In fairness, Shimoda did say on many occasions that a messiah is free to choose his own future so I suppose those who remain alone find it most fruitful to do so. Both Jesus and the apostle Paul have said that it is better to remain single if you can handle it.

Back