Sean Carroll on the Higgs

Carroll argues that modern physics conclude that is impossible that there are unknown currently forces whose effects are visible to the human level, so that psychokinesis would be physically impossible. However, cases of poltergeists may be due to the electromagnetic force and cases of microscopic psychokinesis may be due to quantum entanglement, which is not a force in classical sense. So the Carroll theoretical objection to the possibility of psicoinesis is invalidated.

Interesting talk, told me lots of things I didn't know about QFT...

...but I do find it a little a little weird to hear him state so confidently that he knows all the building blocks from which the everyday external world is made up of. Then follow that with a slide about things he doesn't understand, which included the term 'consciousness'.

He also didn't include 'time' on that slide, and I also really don't think we have a very good explanation for what 'matter' is (even if he knows all the building blocks it's composed of).

Carroll argues that modern physics conclude that is impossible that there are unknown currently forces whose effects are visible to the human level, so that psychokinesis would be physically impossible. However, cases of poltergeists may be due to the electromagnetic force and cases of microscopic psychokinesis may be due to quantum entanglement, which is not a force in classical sense. So the Carroll theoretical objection to the possibility of psicoinesis is invalidated.
How would quantum entanglement play a role?

...but I do find it a little a little weird to hear him state so confidently that he knows all the building blocks from which the everyday external world is made up of. Then follow that with a slide about things he doesn't understand, which included the term 'consciousness'.
The point is that if there were an additional particle or force, we would have discovered it while smashing things up in an accelerator. So any such thing must be short-lived or require huge energy to create.

If there really is any such thing, then QFT is probably wrong. But anyone claiming that has a huge burden of proof.

~~ Paul

With 100% certainty? Almost. At 15 petabytes of data per year, the LHC is doing a hell of a lot of smashing. The results fit the Standard Model. Again, if there are unknown particles or forces, QFT is almost certainly wrong.

~~ Paul
That's what I don't understand. If the LHC is smashing lots of protons together and somewhere else on the planet there are ghosts terrorizing a family, how would that invalidate QFT?

The point is that if there were an additional particle or force, we would have discovered it while smashing things up in an accelerator. So any such thing must be short-lived or require huge energy to create.

If there really is any such thing, then QFT is probably wrong. But anyone claiming that has a huge burden of proof.

~~ Paul
People who get shoved, scratched or bitten by ghosts would not invalidate QFT. One would simply say that ghosts are an example of a quantum field that has a consciousness, feelings, motives and occasionally an inclination to attack somebody in their space. If anything, it would just mean that the standard model is incomplete.

That's what I don't understand. If the LHC is smashing lots of protons together and somewhere else on the planet there are ghosts terrorizing a family, how would that invalidate QFT?
It probably wouldn't. It would suggest that a ghost is a physical thing.

~~ Paul

People who get shoved, scratched or bitten by ghosts would not invalidate QFT. One would simply say that ghosts are an example of a quantum field that has a consciousness, feelings, motives and occasionally an inclination to attack somebody in their space. If anything, it would just mean that the standard model is incomplete.
However, it appears that the standard model is complete. We haven't found any new particles after gazillions of smashes. The experimental results fit the model. One would not say that a ghost is a new kind of quantum field. One would say that a ghost is a physical thing.

~~ Paul

However, it appears that the standard model is complete. We haven't found any new particles after gazillions of smashes. The experimental results fit the model. One would not say that a ghost is a new kind of quantum field. One would say that a ghost is a physical thing.

~~ Paul
Is a wave-function a physical thing? A wave function is, technically, just a solution to the Schrodinger equation. By it's behavior, it conforms to the geometry of the experiment and have available energy and momentum states available for photons to vibrate at. But is it physical?

I guess my biggest complaint about Sean Carroll is that he slipped a lie in with the success of the LHC. Here is the lie. He claims that if there were forces beyond the standard model, that the LHC would have detected them. Yet ghosts are known to scratch, bite, shove people down stairs, block light, emit light (appear visually) and occassional mess with people's heads. I just don't understand how slamming particles into each other is going to make a spirit or a ghost appear, yet they do appear. Anyway, the lie is that slamming protons into each other is going to reveal ghosts if they did exist. Given the quickness of how Carroll wanted to dismiss the topic is a big news flash to everyone that he is dodging reality.

Is a wave-function a physical thing? A wave function is, technically, just a solution to the Schrodinger equation. By it's behavior, it conforms to the geometry of the experiment and have available energy and momentum states available for photons to vibrate at. But is it physical?
Whether a wave function is a physical thing is currently a question of interpretation.

~~ Paul

I guess my biggest complaint about Sean Carroll is that he slipped a lie in with the success of the LHC. Here is the lie. He claims that if there were forces beyond the standard model, that the LHC would have detected them. Yet ghosts are known to scratch, bite, shove people down stairs, block light, emit light (appear visually) and occassional mess with people's heads. I just don't understand how slamming particles into each other is going to make a spirit or a ghost appear, yet they do appear. Anyway, the lie is that slamming protons into each other is going to reveal ghosts if they did exist. Given the quickness of how Carroll wanted to dismiss the topic is a big news flash to everyone that he is dodging reality.
This is like saying that the LHC is a lie because it didn't detect chickens. You're assuming that ghosts exist. Then you are assuming that they aren't just another boringly physical thing.

~~ Paul

If I'm recalling correctly I read an article at phys.org on an experiment where the wavefunction was measured. The article was either late 2013 or early 2014

Back