Sleep paralysis

Have any of you had sleep paralysis? I get those a LOT. When I feel "stuck", I don't fight it. Usually I wait it out, but sometimes it takes too long so I try moving a little. Whenever I do that, I hear whining noises and feel like I'm falling. It creeps me out. *shudders*

Nope, I have never had that before. When I go to sleep I mostly just zonk out for the time being. Most nights I don't even dream so subjectively I'm just gone for 4-8 hours of nothingness.

Have any of you had sleep paralysis? I get those a LOT. When I feel "stuck", I don't fight it. Usually I wait it out, but sometimes it takes too long so I try moving a little. Whenever I do that, I hear whining noises and feel like I'm falling. It creeps me out. *shudders*

It happened to me occasionally. Quite frightening, felt like someone was sitting on my chest. Back then, I was a conservative Christian and I would silently cry out in the name of Jesus for the demon to leave me and it would cease. Later I discovered it was a fairly well known phenomena, and I can't remember the last time I experienced it. Many years, at least. I also don't relate to Christianity anymore so I don't know what I'd think now if I woke up into that state. Make of all that, what you will.

I don't recall it happening to me recently. It has taken various forms for me.

The very first time which I can remember was a benign experience where my room-mate walked into our shared room where I'd taken a daytime nap. I woke up, heard two or three people enter the room, and talk amongst themselves. As they saw I was asleep, they ignored me, But I was wide awake, and unable to move. After a short time I suddenly came back to life and joined in their conversation.

On other occasions, there have been other accompanying elements, including seemingly physical demons prodding my body. Another time there was a dark shadow which carried a negative intent. It can be a troubling experience, though it has always been of short duration - but while it is happening, it can seem an eternity.

It can be used to inducing OBEs
Sort of. In my experience, one can voluntarily enter a state which resembles sleep paralysis, as a stage prior to an OOBE. Since it is voluntary, it is easily broken. However as one goes deeper into the experience, then control of the physical body may be relinquished, and it takes some time to restore, as one returns to everyday functioning.

Hi

Sleep paralysis is something fairly common. It results from the mind waking up before the body. When you are in REM sleep almost all of your muscles are paralyzed. In sleep paralysis, your mind wakes up, but the muscles of the body are still paralyzed and you are feeling that. Further, everything you perceive is dream-like, which is to say, you are not perceiving through your senses. As Typoz quoted Raimo, it can be used to induce OBEs. I've written about it here:

http://www.dondeg.com/metaphysics/do_obe.pdf

Please see the chapter on the trance method. It's not the best spring board for an OBE, but it can work as such.

The sounds you hear are common too. Kind of like haunted house sounds. The falling sensation is also common. These are called "kinesthetic sensations". There is nothing unusual about anything you described. It just seems creepy because it is new and unfamiliar to you. If you, for example, decided to OBE on a regular basis, you will encounter these things often and they will become like signposts of different states and stages of the process.

Hope this is of some help.

Best wishes!

Don

Hi

Sleep paralysis is something fairly common. It results from the mind waking up before the body. When you are in REM sleep almost all of your muscles are paralyzed. In sleep paralysis, your mind wakes up, but the muscles of the body are still paralyzed and you are feeling that. Further, everything you perceive is dream-like, which is to say, you are not perceiving through your senses. As Typoz quoted Raimo, it can be used to induce OBEs. I've written about it here:

http://www.dondeg.com/metaphysics/do_obe.pdf

Please see the chapter on the trance method. It's not the best spring board for an OBE, but it can work as such.

The sounds you hear are common too. Kind of like haunted house sounds. The falling sensation is also common. These are called "kinesthetic sensations". There is nothing unusual about anything you described. It just seems creepy because it is new and unfamiliar to you. If you, for example, decided to OBE on a regular basis, you will encounter these things often and they will become like signposts of different states and stages of the process.

Hope this is of some help.

Best wishes!

Don

Thx!

Not sure if the phenomena would have any relation, but sometimes I do get that feeling, when nodding off, of falling briefly and then jolting awake. Not sure if it's the soul abruptly dropping back into the body or just neurological misfire.

Back