Sleep paralysis

LetsEat, yes I did read the linked article, here and a lot of others posted on this forum. This forum really stands out for the quality of content and, more important, intelligence of the participants.
That is because we try to flush out all the other participants :)
I experienced all of the classic NDE's visuals and sensations, but I didn't have an actual near death trauma. I saw myself dead; I saw the light; I saw people I know who are deceased; I went into the light; I felt the most extraordinary peace I have ever experienced in my life. When I became "lucid" I had absolutely no sensation that what I had experienced was a dream.
It would seem that people can experience NDE's without actually being close to death - it sounds like the ideal way to have an NDE experience!
I am certain of two things regarding death: 1) death is not a frightening traumatic end; 2) the sensation of life does not leave the body at the moment of death.

I suspect the experience may vary:

http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/death-bed-visions-301825.html

However, basically I agree.

David

I have never had an actual OBE. The closest I've come to was what I would categorize as a near death experience. I experienced all of the classic NDE's visuals and sensations, but I didn't have an actual near death trauma. I saw myself dead; I saw the light; I saw people I know who are deceased; I went into the light; I felt the most extraordinary peace I have ever experienced in my life. When I became "lucid" I had absolutely no sensation that what I had experienced was a dream. There was no "oh, I was dreaming" realization.

This isn't unheard of, but in many of those cases the person was in dire stress & fear for their life, and/or in excruciating pain - it's like the soul "takes a step out of the body" for a moment.

In your case, since you were asleep when this happened, it might be that you had a severe case of sleep-apnea, and that you were more near actual death than you thought, when you woke up.

That is because we try to flush out all the other participants :)

I suspect the experience may vary:

http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/death-bed-visions-301825.html

However, basically I agree.

David

Wow, those poor souls. I can't imagine going through such a terrifying transition into death. During and after my experience, I never felt fear. I was bit of confusion initially because I didn't "feel dead". But once I entered the light, that confusion gave way to absolute awe.

I can't describe the seer beauty surrounding me. There was a magnificent tree. A beautiful bird perched on an upper branch. It was so odd because I was filled with this incredible sense of awe at this beauty around me, yet I was surrounded mostly by air. I know that makes no sense at all. But the air was so beautiful. And I could feel it. I can't explain it, but the temperature of it felt so perfect. The air felt so light and I felt enveloped by it.

Then the sensation of peace--there's simply no words to describe the peace. When I was back in my bedroom I tried not to breathe because I was afraid my breathing would wake up my husband, and his presence would distract from that peace.

Since then, I do not fear death.

This isn't unheard of, but in many of those cases the person was in dire stress & fear for their life, and/or in excruciating pain - it's like the soul "takes a step out of the body" for a moment.

In your case, since you were asleep when this happened, it might be that you had a severe case of sleep-apnea, and that you were more near actual death than you thought, when you woke up.

David & Pollux,

There is a possibility that I experienced cardiac arrest that night. I have a non-compulsive form of epilepsy. I've only had a convulsion type of seizure once that I'm aware of.

We know I have nocturnal seizures. During those seizures I never wake up even when I bite my lip or cheek hard enough to draw blood. My neurologist said it's quite possible that I could be convulsing during nocturnal seizures.

When I spoke to the neurologist about the NDE's he thought I might have stopped breathing during a nocturnal seizure. Apparently there is a type of sudden death syndrome associated with epilepsy. He said they do not know the cause of these sudden deaths, but have a couple of theories: 1) seizure triggers cardiac arrhythmia; 2) patients smoother in their pillows while convulsing on their side or stomach.

I never sleep on my stomach. But when the Light disappeared and I was again in my bed, I was in fact on my stomach. So I may have been smothering in my pillow during a seizure.

David & Pollux,

There is a possibility that I experienced cardiac arrest that night. I have a non-compulsive form of epilepsy. I've only had a convulsion type of seizure once that I'm aware of.

We know I have nocturnal seizures. During those seizures I never wake up even when I bite my lip or cheek hard enough to draw blood. My neurologist said it's quite possible that I could be convulsing during nocturnal seizures.

When I spoke to the neurologist about the NDE's he thought I might have stopped breathing during a nocturnal seizure. Apparently there is a type of sudden death syndrome associated with epilepsy. He said they do not know the cause of these sudden deaths, but have a couple of theories: 1) seizure triggers cardiac arrhythmia; 2) patients smoother in their pillows while convulsing on their side or stomach.

I never sleep on my stomach. But when the Light disappeared and I was again in my bed, I was in fact on my stomach. So I may have been smothering in my pillow during a seizure.

Did a being of light approach you and give you a choice to stay or go back? Did it feel more real than waking consciousness? Did you know about NDEs before this incident?

Did a being of light approach you and give you a choice to stay or go back? Did it feel more real than waking consciousness? Did you know about NDEs before this incident?

Did a being of light approach you and give you a choice to stay or go back?

No. In the darkness suddenly the light just appeared. When I went into the light it had a very "real" and distinct feeling. It was not like nothing; I don't know, I can't explain it; the light was not empty. I could feel it. It had like a buoyancy. I could touch it. It was like I could float in the air. I don't know how to explain it. There's nothing to compare the experience to. When my "emotions" began to release through my body, it was emerging into the light. I was becoming part of it.

Did it feel more real than waking consciousness?

Yes. Every time I relay this experience to anyone, the first thing out of my mouth is, "This was not a dream. I was completely lucid. When it was over, I had absolutely no sense that I was ever asleep or even dreaming."

Did you know about NDEs before this incident?

No. This happened around 1987. It was probably in the mid 90s or so when I first heard about NDE's. My sister told me about them after she became a neurology nurse. She works in an emergency trauma center. It is the only trauma center in an area that overlaps two states, so they receive the most severe trauma cases. She told me stories about patients with severe head trauma, many requiring extensive resuscitation efforts. Many don't survive. Some of those who survived had NDE's and OBE's.

Back