Mod+ Spoon bending

In his book, “Travels”, Michael Crichton shares many interesting experiences. One is about his experience with spoon bending:
I looked down. My spoon had begun to bend. I hadn't even realized. The metal was completely pliable, like soft plastic. It wasn't particularly hot, either, just slightly warm. I easily bend the bowl of the spoon in half, using only my fingertips. This didn't require any pressure at all, just guiding with my fingertips.

I put the bent spoon aside and tried a fork. After a few moments of rubbing, the fork twisted like a pretzel. It was easy. I bent several more spoons and forks.

Then I got bored. I didn't do any more spoon bending. I went and got coffee and a cookie. I was now far more interested in what kind of cookies they had then anything else.

Of course, spoon bending has been the focus of long-standing controversy. Uri Gellar, an Israeli magician, who claims psychic powers, often bends spoons, but other magicians, such a James Randi, claim that spoon bending isn't a psychic phenomenon at all, just a trick.

But I had bent a spoon, and I knew it wasn't a trick. I looked around the room and saw little children, eight or nine years old, bending large metal bars. They weren't trying to trick anybody. They were just little kids having a good time. Staying up past their bedtimes on a Friday night, going along with the adults, doing this silly bending stuff.
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books-travels-spoonbending.html

I found this account interesting and wanted to try this myself. The Monroe Institute offers one program that includes spoon bending. So I signed up for it and I brought my own utensils with me.

During the exercise one cultivates a relaxed and joyful state of consciousness. As I was holding a fork, I felt it become pliable, I bent it with little force, then at some point it stopped being pliable. I saw others who preferred to apply no force. They would hold a spoon by the handle with one hand with the bowl pointing upwards and wait for it to bend on its own. Others using light force bent the bowl of the spoon.

Dean Radin recounts a similar exercise.
After 5 minutes of intently watching the woman attempting to bend a similar spoon, to my surprise my spoon started to bend! In accordance with previous claims I had read, the bowl momentary felt like putty, and I easily pinched the bowl over as shown. It immediately hardened up, and it felt cold throughout. I used a thumb and one finger to make this bend, with hardly any force.
http://www.deanradin.com/spoon.htm

I was happy to have had the experience. I repeated the process again a few times at later dates to confirm the experience.

In watching others, I noticed that when they saw one person bend a spoon, then many people became able to do it as well. Belief about the possibility affected the ability.

Some Skeptical Questions
Why isn’t this scientifically verified? The facilitator/instructor for the program was involved with extensive experiments at the PEAR lab. One can find a number of accounts of researchers investigating the topic.
If someone has PK, why aren’t they rich? The facilitator was a multi-millionaire, but that’s not his main interest.
If there is “mind over matter” isn’t there something more useful than bending spoons? Yes, many are interested in use of PK for healing. The simple experience of spoon bending can convince one of larger possibilities.
What about fraud? You supply the utensils, you do the bending.

Paradigm Implications
The causal factor here is the state of mind and the intention. Replication depends on achieving the state of mind. Negative beliefs will not produce results.

Current western science is tied to materialistic views so that assessment of an inner state is likely to be approached via FMR. For example, eeg does not detect lucid dreaming so scientists attempt to use FMR. A more productive approach would be for scientists to develop these abilities themselves.

I bought Prof John Hasted's 1980's book "The Metal-Benders" many months ago, with the idea of investigating this phenomena myself, but got carried away with other research.

I seem to remember my motivation was Guy Lyon Playfair's book The Enfield Poltergist, in which he mentions that someone (who worked with Hasted) had conducted some successful metal bending experiments with Janet (haven't got the book at present so can't be sure).

I haven't read Hasted's book yet, just dipped into it. He too mentions the need to avoid over-concentration, and the cultivation of sudden inattention that Crichton mentions. Hasted gives the analogy of the insomniac who in concentrating his mind on going to sleep will have little success.

You've reminded me to go back to this...

C

chuck.drake

I would be interested in figuring out how to do this. If anyone feels like posting a detailed strategy I would like to give it a try.

I found this account interesting and wanted to try this myself. The Monroe Institute offers one program that includes spoon bending. So I signed up for it and I brought my own utensils with me.

During the exercise one cultivates a relaxed and joyful state of consciousness. As I was holding a fork, I felt it become pliable, I bent it with little force, then at some point it stopped being pliable. I saw others who preferred to apply no force. They would hold a spoon by the handle with one hand with the bowl pointing upwards and wait for it to bend on its own. Others using light force bent the bowl of the spoon.
Was that the MC2 course? Could you tell us more about it?

Was that the MC2 course? Could you tell us more about it?
Yes the MC2 course. Like most of the Monroe programs, you have quite a few sessions with hemisynch. But the exercises, such as spoon bending are not conducted while listening to hemisych.

Part of the program is about "manifesting" which has not been a strong interest for me.

There was some time spent on healing, which seemed to be helpful to some (fortunately my health was/is fine).

During free time, some of the attendees tried various experiments. One I found interesting was where we lifted a heavy table using only the little finger from our hands. There was a marked change where the table lost its weight, and we lifted it easily, then later on the weight returned and we could no longer support it. I noted similar transitory effect with the spoon bending.

My interests have moved on from the Monroe Institute approach. But I very much enjoyed their programs (and Bob's books).

I would be interested in figuring out how to do this. If anyone feels like posting a detailed strategy I would like to give it a try.
One of my reasons for posting was to encourage people with interests in certain phenomenon to actively become involved.

The basic strategy is very simple:
- adjust your state of mind to be relaxed and joyful
- be confident about results, and then let that go
- observe the utensil bending

Practically, I think for most people it is very helpful to do this in a group, the "energy" gets stronger and seeing someone else achieve the result gets us past our mental blocks about what is possible.

Yes the MC2 course. Like most of the Monroe programs, you have quite a few sessions with hemisynch. But the exercises, such as spoon bending are not conducted while listening to hemisych.

Part of the program is about "manifesting" which has not been a strong interest for me.

There was some time spent on healing, which seemed to be helpful to some (fortunately my health was/is fine).

During free time, some of the attendees tried various experiments. One I found interesting was where we lifted a heavy table using only the little finger from our hands. There was a marked change where the table lost its weight, and we lifted it easily, then later on the weight returned and we could no longer support it. I noted similar transitory effect with the spoon bending.

My interests have moved on from the Monroe Institute approach. But I very much enjoyed their programs (and Bob's books).
Thanks, North! I've been curious about TMI, although it isn't really an affordable option for me to take their courses. What is " manifesting"?

Yes the MC2 course. .
Interesting that you rated my post about taking him at his word with a "dislike." I'll admit surprise. Why would you prefer that I disbelieved or wanted more "proof" etc? Do you think he has some reason to lie about his experience?

Interesting that you rated my post about taking him at his word with a "dislike." I'll admit surprise. Why would you prefer that I disbelieved or wanted more "proof" etc? Do you think he has some reason to lie about his experience?
Saiko, part of my intent for this post was to encourage personal exploration.

The way your reply was written, it is not clear which "he" you agree with. Also it could be read sarcastically.

I didn't feel like you engaged with the OP. I do find you a generally thoughtful poster.

Saiko, part of my intent for this post was to encourage personal exploration.

The way your reply was written, it is not clear which "he" you agree with. Also it could be read sarcastically.

I didn't feel like you engaged with the OP. I do find you a generally thoughtful poster.
Okay. Understood. No . not sarcastic. Simply a "At this point, I see no reason to doubt what he reports." Thoughtful yes - I'm practicing not being so caught up in thought.

Okay. Understood. No . not sarcastic. Simply a "At this point, I see no reason to doubt what he reports." Thoughtful yes - I'm practicing not being so caught up in thought.
No offence here, I'm only interested in clarification, it still isn't clear which person "he" refers to, since the original post includes content from (as I read it) three named individuals, and an unspecified number of others are mentioned.

(Perhaps also it was possible for the original post to be misinterpreted too) - again, no offence intended.

My cutlery is really heavy and thick, is this a problem? Should I get hold of some cheaper thinner stuff to try with... just the fact that I think it's really thick and heavy might be a problem, perhaps could cause problems with my confidence?

My cutlery is really heavy and thick, is this a problem? Should I get hold of some cheaper thinner stuff to try with... just the fact that I think it's really thick and heavy might be a problem, perhaps could cause problems with my confidence?
Depends what you want to acheive. I started with a thicker cutlery because I wanted to demonstrate to myself something clearly.

The belief thing is tricky. I accepted that spoon bending was possible, but was somewhat uncertain if I could do it. The process is NOT simply willing something to happen. The spoon bending parties try to cultivate a happy, relaxed, joyful state of mind.

Depends what you want to acheive. I started with a thicker cutlery because I wanted to demonstrate to myself something clearly.

The belief thing is tricky. I accepted that spoon bending was possible, but was somewhat uncertain if I could do it. The process is NOT simply willing something to happen. The spoon bending parties try to cultivate a happy, relaxed, joyful state of mind.
Thanks, I'll do a bit more reading of Hasteds book, and try giving it a go over the holidays with the cutlery I have then... I might rope a couple of friends in too, who are open minded about this stuff, as having more than one person seems helpful. Just your comment that you started with thicker cutlery is helpful and reassuring.

I'm most interested in trying the technique that you mentioned above "...I saw others who preferred to apply no force. They would hold a spoon by the handle with one hand with the bowl pointing upwards and wait for it to bend on its own..."

No offence here, I'm only interested in clarification, it still isn't clear which person "he" refers to, since the original post includes content from (as I read it) three named individuals, and an unspecified number of others are mentioned.

(Perhaps also it was possible for the original post to be misinterpreted too) - again, no offence intended.
Okay, okay! Sheesh. :) "He" is Crichton.