Steven Fry's rant on God

If you really want more posts in this thread, you'll have to give us something more to get our teeth into than that lame attempt.

@Craig Weiler Typoz is pretending that I'm stating the opposite of what I'm actually stating, while referring to my valid comment as a "lame attempt." This is blatant trolling.

He is also disobeying my demand to cease commenting on this thread.

May I suggest some sort of reprimand?

Reactions: tim
Criticism of god/religion is for idiots. This isn't 1658. There's no threat from religious belief.
All this anti-religion nonsense while the NWO is stepping into high gear. Hello?!

I'm sure Fry will be very welcoming of Anti-Christ 2000- the faggy friendly fascist.

Okay, I'm shutting down this thread. No more comments allowed.

I've never had so many likes, tell FDRS (Bro's friend) it "wood" be cool to have him back ...or is that not on the table ?

@Craig Weiler Typoz is pretending that I'm stating the opposite of what I'm actually stating, while referring to my valid comment as a "lame attempt." This is blatant trolling.

He is also disobeying my demand to cease commenting on this thread.

May I suggest some sort of reprimand?
I don't know which is worse - that you are such a big cry-baby, or that you run to the teacher to tell tales.

Why is it stupid? God is supposed to be benevolent according to most religious adherents. So what is so good about a god that lets people slaughter one another en masse, lets millions of children die of starvation and disease, lets the powerful exploit the weak? If god just stands by, then to my mind, he's either a sadist, or powerless, or he's a figment of imagination. That's hardly a stupid argument to be upset about all the evil and horror in the world and be angry at it. The belief in a benevolent god also assumes we are somehow separate from and above nature, which we aren't at all.

My point is, that if God exists, Stephen Fry is no intellectual match for him. I can't answer the Problem of evil in the world, But there are many approaches that try to, and Stephens approach is full of arrogance, although I see nothing wrong with that line of enquiry and to even suggest God created a world with injustice, is a valid enquiry. I believe his arrogance in calling God stupid, isn't justified.

Seriously, think about it. We are hypothetically giving God exists, then is Stephen Fry more intelligent than God? No.

My answer to the accusations of Stephen Fry would be,

There is injustice in the world, Because God chose life.
God could not chose life as we know it without the potential for evil. Otherwise he would have created robots and wrapped them up in cotton wool.

Do I agree with it, No, but then again I am not God, and am not foolish enough to suggest I know more than God.

Johnny's comment about robots is an interesting one. I don't think we should expect easy answers here, but it does give us an angle from which to approach the question.

Sometimes it feels like we are the very first generation of humans ever to have lived, in that we approach these questions from the ground up. Yet clearly there is a mountain of data, both contemporary and going back millennia, from multiple cultural contexts which should feed into our thinking. I don't suggest we should just swallow any of this whole without examining it first. But I do think there are more ways of looking at these questions, other outlooks which may lead to more constructive lines of thought.

I know you like to keep things vague so you're better able to deny reality.
I'm not deliberately vague. However, I can no more present an idea to explore and then tell people what to think than I could place some food in front of someone and then eat it myself instead.

My point is, that if God exists, Stephen Fry is no intellectual match for him. I can't answer the Problem of evil in the world, But there are many approaches that try to, and Stephens approach is full of arrogance, although I see nothing wrong with that line of enquiry and to even suggest God created a world with injustice, is a valid enquiry. I believe his arrogance in calling God stupid, isn't justified.

Seriously, think about it. We are hypothetically giving God exists, then is Stephen Fry more intelligent than God? No.

My answer to the accusations of Stephen Fry would be,

There is injustice in the world, Because God chose life.
God could not chose life as we know it without the potential for evil. Otherwise he would have created robots and wrapped them up in cotton wool.

Do I agree with it, No, but then again I am not God, and am not foolish enough to suggest I know more than God.

If god created a world with injustice, racism, genocide, war, torture, famine, natural disasters etc. And then stands by and lets it all happen. He's a sadistic bastard. It's no good acting like its part of some divine plan and saying we shouldn't question God. If kids dying of cancer, people being murdered by ISIS, the countless other genocides in history are part of some plan, then God is a sick, twisted fuck, who deserves no respect or reverence at all.

If god created a world with injustice, racism, genocide, war, torture, famine, natural disasters etc. And then stands by and lets it all happen. He's a sadistic bastard. It's no good acting like its part of some divine plan and saying we shouldn't question God. If kids dying of cancer, people being murdered by ISIS, the countless other genocides in history are part of some plan, then God is a sick, twisted fuck, who deserves no respect or reverence at all.
Don't we have to take some responsibility for some or all of these things ourselves? That is, some of those are man-made so we can't blame someone else. But in either case it is up to us to take some action, not sit on our hands trying to assign blame.

l2FSoWb.jpg

Don't we have to take some responsibility for some or all of these things ourselves? That is, some of those are man-made so we can't blame someone else. But in either case it is up to us to take some action, not sit on our hands trying to assign blame.

Of course we do. Absolutely, it is in our hands to stop those sort of things. My only objection is to the notion that God loves us all yet millions dies in natural disasters or genocidal crimes, some sort of anthropomorphic deity, is what I feel disdain for.

Those things are the consequence of us having a free will. Cancer and other diseases are unavoidable side-effects of biological life. Natural disasters are a part of a natural world. None of these things are God's fault. Btw, I don't believe in "God".

You miss the point. Most of your arguments are mans choices, a choice to be racist, a choice to commit genocide, a choice to create war and torture, and famine, God can not create life as we know it, where man has free will and exclude man from being free to exercise that will to commit evil or good acts.

God could have decided not to create life, would that be better?

Even if life was imperfect, there is only one choice, life or nothing. God has to
make that choice, God chose life. Therefore God is good.

I'm not sure what causes bone cancer in children, but life improves and many diseases and illnesses have been cured, and I'm pretty confident, that if man concentrated all his energy into resolving all these issues instead of creating wars, and famines, and racism and genocide, torture and disease. we would have probably cured that to. Also there is no scarcity of food on the planet, this is a fact, the problem is that those who have the power to distribute it to poorer countries, sadistically choose not to, we under estimate our own impact on our development, man has polluted the food chain with genetically modified pesticides and who's to say we are not the creator of our own downfall. Pumping animals with who knows what steroids and crap.

All I'm saying is before we blame God we better make sure our hands are clean.

Last edited:
When we choose to have children, We also choose to create life and we do so knowing there is no guarantee to a suffering and disease free life, in fact everybody suffers to a degree, so in essence we are making the same choice that God would have to make.

Seven billion humans exist because their parents chose life, even in the face of the gravest dangers. But always a parent hopes for the greatest good.

Back