Strassman proposes theoneurological model

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Sciborg_S_Patel, Mar 21, 2014.

1. DMT and the Soul of Prophecy (first chapter here)

eta: Changed first link

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  2. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

He is walking down a dangerous path recently and somehow seems to come out clean on the other side. I am guessing he is able to slip under the radar because his preliminary experiments covered the hard science and left the belief-inspired interpretations out. But now, either as his career advances or he is simply getting more bold, he seems to want to push this to a mainstream audience.

I look forward to seeing how far Dr. Rick Strassman is able to get his ideas out there. So far, I do enjoy listening to or reading his ideas.

3. I feel bad for Strassman, as he seems like someone caught between a rock and a hard place. He was basically excommunicated from his Buddhist community for pushing the psychedelic experience as important.

Now he's trying to bridge the gap between the counterculture and Judaic tradition. It's a pretty weird place to find one's self, as a resistance to the Biblical tradition comes almost part & parcel with the culture most amenable to DMT spirituality. Though with the advent of Ayahuasca Churches he might find a home, yet my understanding is said organizations focus either on Christ Consciousness or Gnostic Divine Feminine*.

The man makes me think of the saying that everyone must come out of exile in their own way. Here's to hoping Strassman finds a group to take him out of the cold.

*I do vaguely recall a some Hebrew words that have purportedly appeared to even non-Jews on some psychedelic but I can't recall what this was about. I think it was something Grof wrote about?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  4. Horizons 2010: Rick Strassman, M.D. - “Old Testament Prophecy – A Western Model of the Psychedelic Experience”

5. Interview excerpt with Rick Strassman

The entire interview can be found in Issue Two of The Nexian, which was previously mentioned in the Psychedelic Resource Thread.

6. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

Thanks for this, Sci. I've been away lately on summer vacation and now that I'm back home it's time to catch up!

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  7. His book comes out in a few weeks. I'm curious to see how he defends this view, as the relationship between spiritual communication and psychedelics is definitely an interesting one.

My question is to what extent psychedelics accounted for the revelation offered by the Greek Mystery cults...

8. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

I'll catch up on that link tonight and get back to you. You're a link nazi, you know lol.But I had time to read a bit and I was curious, Sci. To what extent do you think psychedelics played a role in our imaginative abilities?

9. Typoz

Typoz Member

Please don't toss that word casually around. It is offensive in its original context and disrespectful out of it.

TravisMontgomery likes this.
  10. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

Thanks for the laughs, Typoz, but I'll use it as I please.

11. Typoz

Typoz Member

The problem with that approach is that the meaning you thought you were expressing is not the same as the one which the reader receives. In the interests of clear communication, if nothing else, you might reconsider. Blundering one's way through life and causing offence at every turn is certainly a valid approach, but there are alternatives. Showing consideration for others is not without value.

12. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery New

The meaning I thought I was expressing is the meaning I wanted it to have. I know some people take offense to the word, and some don't. I'm not going to cherry pick so I don't offend someone who is easily offended. If you're easily offended than perhaps that is not my issue. If you have a problem with it and take it offensively than use your ability to ignore it. Or, perhaps, I meant Sciborg links a lot and perhaps you should see the other side where some people get humor out of it. You say, "The problem with that approach is that the meaning you thought you were expressing is not the same as the one which the reader receives." applies to everything one might ever say about anything one reads. Then I might never say, "Wow, these mashed potatoes are something special." out of fear of offending somebody because their inability to read how I wanted it read. Maybe you think you're special and mashed potatoes don't deserve to be mentioned. How offensive, right? Give me a break, Typoz.

Now, I don't like Penn Jilette at all. Not even a little. But man, oh man, you remind me of this video..

13. I don't know. It's a rather bold thesis - I know Hancock, Alex Grey, and others believe psychedelics opened the gateway to the Numinous and this allowed us to develop art & language.

I'd have to read up more on the possibility. I do suspect a combination of drugs and meditative practices were involved in the Eleusian Mysteries, but unlike many I suspect the drugs were given early on, rather than offering the culminating revelation of the cults.

14. Typoz

Typoz Member

I'm still very slowly re-treading my path through the book I mentioned previously (Guirdham). But another ingredient may be sexuality and the possibilities enabled by guided or directed sexual activity.

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  15. I should also note that there was at least one anthropologist who did think psychedelics played a role in jump starting human development, but that there was were no supernatural effects involved.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  16. DMT, the Prophetic Experience, and the Hebrew Bible

17. Saiko

Saiko Member

Just putting in that the belief that substances caused some development is a materialist viewpoint. It presupposes the linear-time perspective as being fundamental and that changes are brought about within said timeline primarily by physical means.