Studies Say Facts Don't Change Beliefs, Debunking May Make Them Worse; Trust, Explanations Are Key

Yes. Let's ban Linda. The last thing this forum needs is posters well acquainted with NDE and psi research.
Acquainted? Acquainted by dishonestly claiming you've read Phantasms of the Living or acquainted with plenty of Skeptic talking points and rarely engaged in any kind of genuine - "good faith" conversations with proponents?

My Best,
Bertha

Reactions: tim
She is out of order, Malf. I have personally longed for her to be banned but that is just my opinion and my opinion is irrelevant as to whether or not she is. . But to publish my emails without my permission is out of order. Read through then yourself, all I am guilty of is being a bit short with her and mildly rude after becoming exasperated with her .

She should at least have the decency to remove the emails. I'm not sure if it is a bannable offense, but it sure goes outside internet or forum etiquette or common human decency, without at least asking the other party if they want their email publicly aired.

But I've seen Skeptics engaged in this kind of behavior, smearing people on Wikipedia and on Rationalwiki etc. Make misleading claims about psi research by providing only a few pieces of information, while leaving out the rest that would put the information in an honest context. Alex's partner in their detective investigation is a perfect example of what these Skeptics do when they can't find a way to be right. They can and have resorted to dishonesty and other sorts of repugnant tactics.

My Best,
Bertha

Last edited:
I don't have the particular email where Linda said that OBE's are bullshit but I clipped this off the emails she's posted. She is quite familiar with the word bullshit as you anyone can see.

Date: January 31, 2013 at 12:41:40 PM EST

I just happen to have a lot of medical knowledge and experience, so I happen to know when medical claims are bullshit or not. No special substances required. :)

Linda

Linda, I am reporting you. It doesn't bother me that you published our email exchange, anyone can see that it's all fair comment. YOU published your email
at the bottom of each post you made back then inviting anyone to contact you.

Something like >I can be contacted at a person somethng , something. com. Since you were telling lies about the denture case I was perfectly entitled to
contact you.

I didn't say it wasn't fair for you to contact me. But it's also fair for me to block you considering how nasty and abusive you became.

Bertha, thanks for the support. I am telling the truth, Linda did say that she thought OBE's during NDE were bullshit. She hasn't published that one. I'm afraid I don't have any of the emails now so it's my word against hers and of course she will say how convenient but around the time (just after) we had this exchange my computer went bang and I lost all my stuff.

That's an interesting turn of events. I actually thought that once I published the emails, your memory would be jogged, and you would realize you had misremembered the conversation. I didn't expect you to admit it, or to apologize or retract your statement. But it didn't occur to me that you would continue to insist that I said something I didn't.

This is a nice example of what I was talking about earlier with respect to the unreliability of testimony based on recollection. Tim is ready to swear up and down that his recollection is accurate. And I'm willing to believe that he is sincere about this. Yet going back to the original documentation shows that he is wrong. It isn't even the case that I said something close to what he remembers, and his memory is slightly altered. He unwittingly has created a false memory.

Linda

She should at least have the decency to remove the emails.

I tried. I was already past the time in which you can edit posts last night.

I'm not sure if it is a bannable offense, but it sure goes outside internet or forum etiquette or common human decency, without at least asking the other party if they want their email publicly aired.

Tim said he didn't mind. I don't think he sees anything wrong with his emails. And realistically, there isn't anything in them which is different from stuff he has said publicly on this forum and on the old forum, about me and to me. So it isn't like there are any issues with embarrassment or exposure.

But I've seen Skeptics engaged in this kind of behavior, smearing people on Wikipedia and on Rationalwiki etc. Make misleading claims about psi research by providing only a few pieces of information, while leaving out the rest that would put the information in an honest context.

Huh? I quoted you the entire exchange. That's the opposite of what you're complaining about.

Linda

Linda said > "so I happen to know when medical claims are bullshit or not"

So, based on the fact we know that Linda does not accept medical claims of people leaving their bodies by her refusal to accept the claims as witnessed by her constant argument on this very forum, I propose that it is fair to infer that Linda ( by her statement above ) thinks such medical claims are bullshit.

Edit. Linda still said OBE's are bullshit

Last edited:
I didn't say it wasn't fair for you to contact me. But it's also fair for me to block you considering how nasty and abusive you became.

That's an interesting turn of events. I actually thought that once I published the emails, your memory would be jogged, and you would realize you had misremembered the conversation. I didn't expect you to admit it, or to apologize or retract your statement. But it didn't occur to me that you would continue to insist that I said something I didn't.

This is a nice example of what I was talking about earlier with respect to the unreliability of testimony based on recollection. Tim is ready to swear up and down that his recollection is accurate. And I'm willing to believe that he is sincere about this. Yet going back to the original documentation shows that he is wrong. It isn't even the case that I said something close to what he remembers, and his memory is slightly altered. He unwittingly has created a false memory.

Linda

"He unwittingly has created a false memory."

False memory :) yes I can well imagine you would use that old bogey. I have not created a false memory, I distinctly remember you told me that you thought OBE's are bullshit you just haven't produced the email or you've lost it.

*the edit was a mistake in grammar

Last edited:
ROFLMAO.

I'm glad I decided to view your posts again. At least for a little while.

Linda

I don't like you, Madam ..one little bit. In my opinion you are insincere and full of you know what.

Last edited:
tim,

Your email address that I removed from the posts was @hotmail.co.uk. Doesn't that mean you could recover your emails from hotmail? Have you tried that?

Linda

tim,

Your email address that I removed from the posts was @hotmail.co.uk. Doesn't that mean you could recover your emails from hotmail? Have you tried that?

Linda

No I have/t tried that and nether will I go to any such trouble. I know what you said.

Bertha Huse said: (go to post)
I don't go around outing people's private email in public, or trolling forums like you and the other Skeptics here are engaged in. I have far more integrity than you my dishonest friend. And a lot more guts.

My Best,
Bertha
I didn't do so lightly, or without concern. But what would you do instead? I tried to handle it privately and you turned me down. Tim didn't retract his falsehoods. How else could I show that his statements were false and your accusations baseless?

Linda
.......................................................................................................................................
By the way, Linda you made no attempt to contact me regarding retracting anything, not that I would have retracted because I cannot retract the truth. However I'm posting this to show you up for what you are.

You did NOT attempt to handle it privately so don't pretend otherwise, madam.

I just spotted another of your untruths, Linda.

Linda said :Tim said he didn't mind. I don't think he sees anything wrong with his emails. And realistically, there isn't anything in them which is different from stuff he has said publicly on this forum and on the old forum, about me and to me. So it isn't like there are any issues with embarrassment or exposure.

I was never on the old forum, my dear, NEVER .

I just spotted another of your untruths, Linda.

Linda said :Tim said he didn't mind. I don't think he sees anything wrong with his emails. And realistically, there isn't anything in them which is different from stuff he has said publicly on this forum and on the old forum, about me and to me. So it isn't like there are any issues with embarrassment or exposure.

I was never on the old forum, my dear, NEVER .
The emails I quoted from you are dated January of 2013, from the time of the old forum and before this forum was created.

The thread they are referring to is this:
http://forum.mind-energy.net/forum/...st/3404-update-on-the-aware-study-2012/page52

Heck, you even made reference to my old signature in the old forum, earlier in this thread.

I don't understand what you are trying to claim.

Linda

Last edited:
recently
The emails I quoted from you are dated January of 2013, from the time of the old forum and before this forum was created.

The thread they are referring to is this:
http://forum.mind-energy.net/forum/...st/3404-update-on-the-aware-study-2012/page52

Heck, you even made reference to my old signature in the old forum, earlier in this thread.

I don't understand what you are trying to claim.

Linda

I don't know what you are talking about. Can you tell me who you think I was or am in the old forum ? I can categorically tell you I never made a single post in the old forum. I only joined the skeptiko forum relatively recently and when we had the email exchange I wasn't a member.

I'll tell you something else, I don't even know how to operate in the forum properly because I don't really understand all the ins and outs having only relatively joined. I'm learning slowly

I'm beginning to think you are slightly unhinged

Last edited:
Linda said >>Heck, you even made reference to my old signature in the old forum, earlier in this thread.

Er, no, Linda, you produced my old email which made reference to your preference of signing off every one of your posts.... Linda.

So that's another untruth. Yikes, you got any more ?

recently

I don't know what you are talking about. Can you tell me who you think I was or am in the old forum ?

Tim.

So Tim on the old forum was simply somebody talked the same as you, down to the kind of vitriol used.

Okay. Then references to the old forum should be removed from my statement. And I apologize for thinking you were one and the same. You come across as identical to that "tim" and treated me with familiarity.

Linda

Linda, I am reporting you. It doesn't bother me that you published our email exchange, anyone can see that it's all fair comment. YOU published your email
at the bottom of each post you made back then inviting anyone to contact you.

Something like >I can be contacted at a person somethng , something. com. Since you were telling lies about the denture case I was perfectly entitled to
contact you.

tim,

I was referring to the bolded part.

Linda

Tim.

So Tim on the old forum was simply somebody talked the same as you, down to the kind of vitriol used.

Okay. Then references to the old forum should be removed from my statement.

Linda

I was never in the old forum, Linda. If you want to pursue this, go ahead. You are going to look even more silly than you already do. The only place I posted was in the skeptiko comments (skeptiko show) box

Linda said >>
Then references to the old forum should be removed from my statement.

What do you mean ? Remove them if you wish, I don't care, it's just more untruths from you. Quite shocking really. I used to read the old forum very occasionally and then I saw the new forum and read some of that, particularly your assertions about NDE's which is what made me decide to join.

Linda said

Tim.

Produce one of these posts ...............I had a look at the link to the old forum, where is Tim ? Show me

Back