"Study claims EVPs Persist, Even in Controlled Environments"

This is an intriguing article, if EVPs are an interest;

"http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2013/11/study-claims-evps-persist-even-in-controlled-environments/"

If you had ask my opinion on EVPs a year ago, I would have answered it's a phenomena that needs more research, but not much more. Now if you ask me, my answer will be, just try it.

Several months back a friend, Liz, was visiting and she has a strong belief in organized religion and a little superstitious. We've had a few discussions about it, but I came to realize I might insult her if I pushed my thoughts on the matter too much, so I keep it spiritual, which I lean toward. One day she was on about this "Ghost app" on her cell and I was teasing her about. I went on about "spooks", "spirits", and was generally trying to be funny about it, so I decided to do an EVP session with her because her "Ghost app" kept saying there were "spirit energies" near.

So, I set up my PC and recorded. I ask a few questions and was trying to be a bit of a smartass. She seemed nervous and I asked if she was scared and she said a little. Well I asked why the "spirits" were making my friend scared. I recorded for a few minutes and she went to the restroom. When I played it back and my question came up, "Why are you scaring my friend Liz", a distinctive voice said "I like it". Well, the smile was no longer on my face and I was stunned. I asked Liz to listen and she confirmed it, then freaked out, and left. The joke was on me at that point.

Since then I've performed the experiment several times and have got responses, but they are sporadic and random, but definitely a voice. I'm perplexed by this every time, but really get a kick of it every time I do get a positive response.

I'm curious, has anyone else tried this and or has experience? Also I'd like to know if anyone with a strong skeptical streak would try this and report back with results. It's a strange and maybe arduous request, but an experiment all the same.

I use Audacity from my PC. It has the ability to adjust a wide sound range and analyzation tools, but a hand held recorder are just as effective if not more so.

Matt

Last edited:
F

Frank Matera

EVP's is something I have looked at for quite a while and is a personal interest of mine as I have a background in electronics... and I'd love to be able to design a device that could communicate. I must say though I am underwhelmed with 99% of what I hear as "evidence" whenever I hear someone say they captured an EVP.

To me the holy grail of EVP is what I see done by Marcello Bacci in Italy. The ability to have voices come through a radio clearly answering questions and in controlled conditions (such as in a lead encased room). To me that is the starting point of the level of evidence we need for EVP's and everything should go from there.

Edit: Just on that.. I did a quick search to find some audio of his EVP... and I found this instead on http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=21078 Absolutely hilarious shits and giggles.

Has anyone heard of the "psychic" Marcello Bacci? Someone keeps telling me he is the "real deal", and I'm positive he's another cold reader
:eek: :eek: ROFL. I have to laugh at Marcello Bacci being called a "Cold Reader" when he doesn't even do readings... he sits in front of a radio. This ass clown has just heard the word "Psychic" and automatically gone into "expert skeptic mode" and automatically denounced him as a cold reader obviously without having spent 5 seconds reading or seeing what he claims to do... and not only that he is POSITIVE he is a cold reader. LOL right there is a sample size of the type of educated skeptics I encounter every day telling me how "gullible" I am. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know anything about EVP's until I recently attended a conference where some research and papers on EVP were presented. Each time a new recording was about to be played, I looked away from the screen so I wasn't primed with the words. I was unable to distinguish any speech.

I noted that the latest personal digital recorders use some very sensitive electronics, combined with encoding/decoding techniques. The devices themselves are not well shielded from electrical or magnetic field effects.
I also noted that multiple digital devices in the same room often recorded data at the same time, but the played back noise was completely different between both devices. One occasion also included a old fashioned analogue tape recorder and it picked up noise when the PDR's didn't, and visa-versa.

I also noted that multiple digital devices in the same room often recorded data at the same time, but the played back noise was completely different between both devices. One occasion also included a old fashioned analogue tape recorder and it picked up noise when the PDR's didn't, and visa-versa.
Noise can be contributed by the device itself as well as being externally generated. Also, different devices have different noise reduction schemes, which can affect the nature of the noise that gets through.

Pat

...still waiting for Matt's mp3 files...
I read the request, but I've been debating whether or not to post any and I'm leaning toward not. The phenomena is very peculiar and the ambiguity of the responses rarely illicit anything cogent or relevant. Some of the questions I have asked have been of a personal nature, which seem to generate direct responses, but I'm not going to share those. That's why I had suggested others try it as a test. I'm understand the subjectiveness, but I think we can work with the honor system and trust the results; positive or negative.

I'll review what I have and see if I can find a few that are clear and non-personal. I know I have one that is the sound of a "rattle". This one has always fascinated me. The only thing I can think of that comes close to an explanation is that where my home is, had American Indian habitation for 100's if not 1000's of years. I'm into amateur archeology and have found a variety of artifacts in the area, so I know I have one I can share with some relevance. I'll try to find a few more that are distinguishable.

Matt

Noise can be contributed by the device itself as well as being externally generated. Also, different devices have different noise reduction schemes, which can affect the nature of the noise that gets through.

Pat
I agree. I've tried to create a quiet environment in order to isolate the responses, but it also has to be noted that many EVP experimenters intentionally introduce clean white noise. I have nothing that can generate that, so I go with silence.

I'm not using a high quality mic and sometimes there are noises that are clearly electronic or some other background noise the mic can hear, but my ears cannot. However, when I have received a response, they are distinctly different, but I'm still not ruling out some externally generated noise. I have been able, with practice, to rule out quite a bit that I had at first mistook. The rest I'm at a loss to explain and let stand to be examined further.

F

Frank Matera

I didn't know anything about EVP's until I recently attended a conference where some research and papers on EVP were presented. Each time a new recording was about to be played, I looked away from the screen so I wasn't primed with the words. I was unable to distinguish any speech.
Agreed. Nearly all of the EVP's I've heard have been underwhelming. This is why I like the work of Marcello Bacci so much... his EVP's are words and speech... and he has been tested in controlled conditions to make sure there is no external radio waves coming in. They even removed the power and vacuum tubes out of his radio which should have rendered it useless and still the voices came out.

...still waiting for Matt's mp3 files...
I found more than I thought I had. I'll upload 5 for now. I'm not going to preface my opinion, I'm gong to let the listener decide. It will be interesting.

The only thing I'll add is that you will hear my voice, possibly my friend Liz. When I setup to record, I turn off all devices emitting noise, and placed the mic 4ft above my sitting position on the PC. I covered the mic with a rolled up cloth to cut down on highs and to protect from air movement. Noise that are routinely recorded are noises from the fans in the PC, HVAC, my movement; moving the mouse, keyboard, breathing, and possibly my cat meowing. You may have to turn the gain up, the anomalies typically whisper. I shortened the files and tried to record 5 seconds before and 5 seconds after.

File names read {EVP} Date {01-01-2013} Time Recorded { 12-00pm} Anomaly Start to End {01-01-00 to 01-01-00}

I used Filedropper (I'd rather not) because I could not find any resource on uploading audio files, so if anyone has some info on that, I would appreciate the link, but anyway, here's 5 EVPs ( http://www.filedropper.com/evp ). I look forward to some feed back. BTW...I feel quite silly doing these EVP sessions, so please excuse any random words I may say and cut me some slack, at least I'm brave enough to share this stuff. I mean as much as I'm open minded to explore the unknown, talking to air in an empty room is still peculiar behavior. Even my cat and dog give me quizzical looks and seem to wonder whom I'm talking to.

Matt

I'm more interested in sounds that are heard in "altered states" and can't be picked up by equipment.
An extremely fascinating subject, it's unfortunate it cannot be shared in some way with equipment without actually having to achieve the alternate state in order to experience it.

An extremely fascinating subject, it's unfortunate it cannot be shared in some way with equipment without actually having to achieve the alternate state in order to experience it.
I don't see it as "unfortunate" at all. Quite the opposite. That those who can't or won't move beyond seeing intellect as the sole path to knowledge will remain outside, tossing opinions to-and-fro about what is happening in the "places" they haven't been to.

Beyond that, it can be - and is - shared. People can - and do - enter alternate states with each other.

I don't see it as "unfortunate" at all. Quite the opposite. That those who can't or won't move beyond seeing intellect as the sole path to knowledge will remain outside, tossing opinions to-and-fro about what is happening in the "places" they haven't been to.

Beyond that, it can be - and is - shared. People can - and do - enter alternate states with each other.
I think, maybe, I'm not expressing my thoughts on the matter appropriately. I get where you're coming from, but what I was suggesting is that it would be helpful or a benefit to the study of altered states of consciousness to be able to examine this state of being from an outside or 3rd person perspective. But, then you run up against the argument of objectivity vs. subjectivity. Since all observations are subjective, can there be objectivity in respect to this study, because there is a possibility the objective reality of an altered state of consciousness cannot be experience or even understood subjectively from a materialistic reality, since there could actually be real or at least perceived levels of being dually (or more) occupied cognitively and energetically.

I keep hearing this simple dismissal from the skeptic community, but this is not what I have run into regarding the phenomenon for the most part. I refuse to allow an influenced observer's bias in as well, and that is wise. Many EVP's I have heard are noise-clad yes, but the sentences, words and context are clear and often relevant. I simply refuse to habitually shield my mind by focusing on the minority of bad case examples which foist explanatory pathways already falsified through the other observational data. My mind will not allow me to undertake THAT cognitive bias either. It does not matter whether or not I have a distaste for this subject, or if I regard the participants as non-scientists. Integrity is demanded before bias of any kind.

To maintain cognitive integrity on this and yet deny that Ockham's Razor sufficient data exists, one must resort to declaring the observation base to be principally the result of fraud. That is the only option left. The ante is much higher than 'oh this is just some noise and pareidolia."

Last edited:
Yes, from what I've heard, I'd definitely agree that there is fraud in some cases. Other reasons include lack of shielding, external EM effects, artifacts which are also amplified by modern encoding/decoding techniques, pareidolia obviously, and there seems to be some evidence that similar techniques can be used to predict likely hood of schizophrenia types of symptoms in later life.

I think, maybe, I'm not expressing my thoughts on the matter appropriately. I get where you're coming from, but what I was suggesting is that it would be helpful or a benefit to the study of altered states of consciousness to be able to examine this state of being from an outside or 3rd person perspective. But, then you run up against the argument of objectivity vs. subjectivity. Since all observations are subjective, can there be objectivity in respect to this study, because there is a possibility the objective reality of an altered state of consciousness cannot be experience or even understood subjectively from a materialistic reality, since there could actually be real or at least perceived levels of being dually (or more) occupied cognitively and energetically.
Okay. I see what you're saying. I mostly agree. Which is part of the reason I see a benefit to developing non-materialist science. Many people see that as applying the methods of materialism to psi but that's not what I mean. I mean sciences that use methods appropriate to exploring non-physical. Many wouldn't dream of having someone who can't do basic calculus work on particle physics yet see nothing strange in having those who haven't developed basic psi skills do research about psi.

Last edited:
OK, he has offered them up. So..... what did you conclude???
Well done Matt for uploading those. What is the rhythmic pulsing? Is that a tumble dryer in the next room? :)

I'll be honest, I have no idea what to conclude... I'm a little confused as I thought these EVPs only showed up on playback, but Matt seems to be responding to the noise, particularly in the second clip... Matt, are you hearing the sounds only on playback or at the time of recording also?

ES, your post above speaks in general terms about the phenomenom, but I'm interested in what you concluded from these MP3 files...

Last edited: