Suspensions, Bannings, and Post Deletions

Discussion in 'Guidelines & Introductions' started by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Nap, interrupted. Member

This thread is for posting suspensions, bannings, and post deletions, along with the reasons for them. Please take discussions of these actions to another thread.

The following members are banned from posting in the Skeptiko Show, Consciousness & Science, Extended Consciousness & Spirituality, and Explorers & Implementers forum:

• Arouet
    • Dakota Rider
    • fls
    • Kay
    • malf
    • Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
    • steve001

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Alex

Alex New

thx Paul... but let me clarify... and this is hard to do... but the real reason to shift the conversation that these posters generate over to this thread is that it's proven to be disruptive to the conversations most of the rest of the folks on the forum want to have.

I can think of no better example than the thread I started a few days ago: Why We Need Skeptics in the Skeptiko Forum

I started it in the CD forum so I could get the input of y'all and I did. So, rather than re-hash all that was said in that thread I'll just use it as an example of the kind of conversation that needs to stay over here.

but... more to the point... over time I've come to believe that certain posters... no matter how hard they try... always wind up in these same dialogs. that's why I've asked you to move over here. so, it's not belief per se... it's experience.

3. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Uh, folks, this forum is supposed to contain a list of suspensions and bannings, not a discussion of them. I guess that wasn't clear, so I added a couple of sentences to the opening post.

Alex: Could you delete these extra posts, or move them to a new thread perhaps titled "Discussion of Suspensions and Bannings."

~~ Paul

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  4. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

FLS (Linda) has been suspended until June 2, 2014.

Reason: Driving proponent posters away from the Critical Discussion forum.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  5. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Steve001 has been suspended until June 15, 2014.

Reason: Insulting someone.

6. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Dadalus has been suspended or banned.

Reason: unknown.

7. wpb

wpb Member

Has radicalpolitik been suspended or banned?

Pat

8. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Apparently so, since I cannot search for his posts. I cannot search for Dadalus's posts, either.

~~ Paul

9. steve001

steve001 Member

If radical wants to reach out he may do so at the JREF.

10. Formal Dining Room Set

Formal Dining Room Set New

Paul, could you please link to the offending post(s) from now on? Or if that's not possible, provide the thread containing the transgression(s), along with a more thorough description?

If you're just gonna halfass your way through this, best to get somebody more motivated on the job. Maybe you're just getting too old for this line of work.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  11. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Of course I'm halfassing it, you silly fellow. None of the moderators are willing to do it. All I have to go on is rumor, guesswork, and absence of evidence. As for the offending posts, half the time they are gone.

~~ Paul

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  12. Formal Dining Room Set

Jeez, I thought you were receiving official documents and stuff. My apologies. AP's moderating seems hastily done, disorganized and reckless... But imagine if Larkin was a mod?! That would be insane! He gets pissed at members for not breaking comments down into a sufficient number of paragraphs to his liking. I love the guy, but he's possibly the most easily offended man on earth. Is this a british thing?

13. Formal Dining Room Set

Oh, and I'm sorry for derailing the thread.

14. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

No problem, and I'm sorry for calling you a clown.

~~ Paul

15. Formal Dining Room Set

image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  16. Michael Larkin

Michael Larkin Member

I wasn't offended: in fact if you'll read what I said, I congratulated the poster for his articulacy. I just found it hard to read for the lack of paragraph spacing, and was very polite, saying that I hoped he didn't mind my mentioning it. Is it an American thing to confuse a polite request with being offended? If I get offended at one thing more than any other, it's people, proponent or sceptic, who don't actually engage and carry on arguing in the same old way about the same old straw men. After a while, I just put them on ignore.

I was actually made a moderator, without my knowledge, near the start of the new forum. Then I noticed someone said that I could ignore people, but they couldn't ignore me. So I asked Alex to remove my moderator privileges, which mean that one can't be ignored. If people want to ignore me, then I want them to be able to.

Sure, if I owned this blog, there'd be a few people who would get permanently banned. But I'm far from being alone about that. You may not know that there was the secret haven on the old forum, and that private conversations go on in this forum where sceptics are lambasted. One thing about me is that I don't really get involved in such discussions: they're pointless. I just keep re-iterating the advice that if someone gets up your nose, you should just put them on ignore and they'll disappear.

As to Andy's style of moderation, well, he doesn't have to moderate at all and it's a pretty thankless task. You are aware that he has a lot on his plate, aren't you? Writing up his thesis and so forth?

Love ya ta bits too, FDR, but on this occasion you're out of line and haven't got your facts straight.

17. Formal Dining Room Set

Okay, I see. Although, I was half joking and therefore, I am not out of line. I knew you were going to read what I'd written... And I was fully joking in reference to AP. I used the word 'reckless'. I think that's a clear demonstration of hyperbole, but maybe I should try and be more explicit somehow.

You do seem to get offended easily. I mean, of course you seem to get offended easily!! But I love it! That's your style. It blends perfectly with your erudition and eloquence. Remember when you took major issue with members disliking your posts in the climate change thread, and it caused you to take a break from the forum? :D I rest my case.

18. Formal Dining Room Set

Hey Paul, why didn't you post notices here after Bro and PJ were banned?

malf likes this.
  19. Michael Larkin

Michael Larkin Member

It's the word offended I object to. I'm not offended by anyone who posts here. I do however get irritated with people sometimes, and I can be very straightforward about that. The reason I took a short break from the forum was on a matter of principle: having the dislike option meant that people could form political cadres: something that already goes on in the climate controversy. Don't engage the arguments, but call people deniers: pure ad hominem, the last resort of the inarticulate. Right from the start I made the decision not to click the dislike option for anyone, not even the most rabid sceptic, and made that known. But people, knowing that, carried on doing it with intention of trying to needle me. Well, they did needle me, but not for the reason they supposed. I wasn't irritated by their dislikes per se, but by the level to which discussion had descended.

If the dislike option had reappeared, I might well not have returned to the forum. The thought of people using the dislike button as a political weapon, by no means only against me, just lowered the tone of the whole thing and took away a large part of the enjoyment. People can call me black and blue and I won't be offended: they may well get as good as they give. But people playing silly games by clicking a button in lieu of speaking their minds is extremely irritating. I mean, you've just slung a brickbat at me and I haven't been offended, have I? Nor have I set you on ignore. You've spoken your mind, and that's okay; and as a matter of fact you've not even irritated me.

Offended, as I understand the word, is what my grannie would have been if someone had showed their backside to her: it would have challenged her dignity. Irritated, on the other hand, is what happens when someone rings my doorbell and then runs away. It's not a question of my dignity, but of their childishness.

20. malf

malf Member

Again, there was no info about these bannings from the mods. Perhaps if anyone is in contact with PJ or Bro they could pass on the details of the ban to Paul. He seemed to post when ... uhm... A little 'over refreshed' on occasion? Frankly, we're all better of without him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.