Th situation in Sweden

The alternative title of this thread might be: "Discovering the nature of things is a big old messy human endeavour; poorer science continually gets replaced by better science. Get over it."
Can you find some examples of poorer science being replaced by better science in that thread?

David

About the status of anomalistics, immaterialism and spirituality in Sweden - I don't think it's notably different from any other Western(ised) country: it is definitely a "fringe" phenomenon, largely dismissed by institutions (including academia) yet still occasionally appearing within them. For example, Sweden has its own Society of Psychical Research; it has a parapsychology research group in the Lund University and an educational course in the University of Gothenburg; it recently held the 10th European Conference of the Society for Scientific Exploration.; it has spirtuality-related non-profit organisations like Sigtuna Foundation.

As for the conversation mentioned - I can easily imagine it in a Russian university as well: materialism is as dominant in academic circles here as everywhere else! It is a common flaw of the modern Western(ised) culture. Yet, modern Western(ised) societies has so much benefits above others that one can couple with this flaw: one can still study paranormal and pursue spiritual here, and with notably less potential peril than in some "traditional" or "tribal" societies, where people may still practice very literal (and lethal) witch-hunts!

And, compared to Scandinavian one, Russian society is MUCH more restrictive and repressive - politically, socially, culturally, even spiritually. So, it is still a better society to live in - one of the very best in the world.

Some more interesting news about Sweden - it has apparently banned mandatory vaccination because of: 1) citizens' unalienable rights to choose their own form of healthcare and 2) data which points to the possible adverse effects.

Such step is obviously a kind of a cunning trick by these evil Swedish Commies to persuade that they have medical freedom... while in much-more-capitalist USA, mandatory vaccination is still an unpleasant fact for many vaccination-skeptical parents. As well as catastrophic massive "diagnosing" (or, more precise, labeling) of kids "ADHD", "ADD", "ODD", "CD" and other highly questionable psychiatric descriptions and forced drugging of them with psychoactive substances to "treat" these alleged "disorders". Big Pharma is always on guard for Americans' health, along with lobbies-friendly, enforcement-ready state.

Last edited:
About the status of anomalistics, immaterialism and spirituality in Sweden - I don't think it's notably different from any other Western(ised) country: it is definitely a "fringe" phenomenon, largely dismissed by institutions (including academia) yet still occasionally appearing within them. For example, Sweden has its own Society of Psychical Research; it has a parapsychology research group in the Lund University and an educational course in the University of Gothenburg; it recently held the 10th European Conference of the Society for Scientific Exploration.; it has spirtuality-related non-profit organisations like Sigtuna Foundation.

As for the conversation mentioned - I can easily imagine it in a Russian university as well: materialism is as dominant in academic circles here as everywhere else! It is a common flaw of the modern Western(ised) culture. Yet, modern Western(ised) societies has so much benefits above others that one can couple with this flaw: one can still study paranormal and pursue spiritual here, and with notably less potential peril than in some "traditional" or "tribal" societies, where people may still practice very literal (and lethal) witch-hunts!

And, compared to Scandinavian one, Russian society is MUCH more restrictive and repressive - politically, socially, culturally, even spiritually. So, it is still a better society to live in - one of the very best in the world.

I assume you're Swedish? Has their Parapsychology found anything we haven't already been studying here in America?

I am not Russian but the situation in Russia is that they have a popular TV show called "Битва экстрасенсов" (The Battle of the Psychics), which shows some amazing stuff IMO - clairvoyance, mediumship, poltergeist phenomena, etc. In fact, I started learning Russian just to be able to understand more of it (well, it's not that difficult considering I'm Bulgarian, but still).

Back