The Gender Politics of Cute

Momo

New
America has a history of inequality.

Shocking, I know.

Fortunately, America also has a history of (eventually) correcting the inequality (sort of). The favored method is integration of the discriminated into the institutions of the discriminator.

This integration is overwhelmingly one directional.

And that's a problem.

The discriminated are encouraged to be more like the discriminator with the assumption that what the discriminator has is better.

And this assumption shows that the discrimination has not stopped, it could even be said to be intensified. Rather than improve the treatment of the discriminated, the discriminated are wiped from existence.

The discriminated who resist the obliteration of their institutions are mistreated even more and then blamed for their abuse, because they could escape it.

The 'logic', though pervasive, is early stated explicitly.

"We are normal. They are different. We hate them because they are different. If they became normal, we would no longer hate them. They should all become normal. If they refuse to become normal, then they want to be different. If they want to be different, then they want to be hated. So it is their fault when we hate them."

"If you live here, you should learn the language."
"Of course you'll get mistreated, dressed like that."
"Why don't you speak proper English instead of slang?"
"Why do you have to act so gay?"
"It's your fault for not assimilating."
"Do what you want in private, just don't let me see it."

Stop being different.
We hate different.

Let's look at a specific example.

Women were bared from intellectual institutions, "Thinking is for men, don't worry your pretty little head." Intelligence is masculine. Frivolity is feminine.

But now women are allowed into these institutions. But intelligence is still masculine, and femininity is still bared. It is spun as being about 'professionalism' but this profesionalism is suspiciously similar to stereotypical masculine traits:

"Wear pants and don't cry. Wear grey and be tough. Don't reminder us you have breast or a uterus. Periods, pregnancies, babies, breast milk, are strictly off limits."

Women are allowed, as long as they act like men.

I'm a young woman. I like painting my nails and wearing pretty dresses. I speak softly and I rarely swear. I'm feminine. I'm cute.

I am an intellectual. I like reading and conducting experiments. I debate I stand my ground. I'm a scholar. I'm smart.

These traits shouldn't conflict. But they do. And that's a problem.

But the problem is not with me; it is not with make-up and glitter and sugar and spice.
The problem is with the people who see those things as lesser.

Cute is not lesser to serious. It's just different.

And that brings me to my avatar picture, and why I love it.

She's cute and pink and all smiles and sunshine.

She's also a freaking astronaut with three PhDs and 1,000 flight hours behind the controls of a jet.

Call her a sissy all you want, she can't hear you in the vacuum of space. She'll be up in orbit floating circles around you grumps down on Earth.

Scrapbook that.

Much as a love a good argument debate about gender equity/social justice/whatever the cool kids call it now, I don't think your particular indication of cute fits into a gendered argument as much. Usually, cuteness is reserved for children and some things regarded as childish. It can also apply to animals(usually to small animals or pets). I'm having trouble figuring out how that's an issue, and if it is an issue, how it somehow automatically falls into an issue of gendered stereotypes.

There is always inequality and misperceptions. We just have to deal with it. I'm a blue collar, rough-around-the-edges guy frequently seen in flannel shirts and cargo pants and the ever present baseball cap. My shirt doubles as a paper towel, napkin and box of kleenex.

I have a somewhat redneck appearance and once in awhile I'm mistaken for one and those people will talk down to me. But it's always a certain type of person who does this. They don't pay attention to the multitude of clues that suggest there is more to the person they're engaging than they realize.

Some of this is just age and experience. You learn to let people talk for a little bit to get a sense of who they are rather than just going on appearance, which can be quite deceiving.

Oh, youre gonna love this place, we're still debating which of us is an individual user and not a sockpuppet, we dont even bother with gender at this point. FYI, I'm a beautiful, flawed, complicated sky-bison.

Earth > Change/Water > Fire > Air >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spirits.

Come at me bro.

And that brings me to my avatar picture, and why I love it.

She's cute and pink and all smiles and sunshine.

She's also a freaking astronaut with three PhDs and 1,000 flight hours behind the controls of a jet.

Call her a sissy all you want, she can't hear you in the vacuum of space. She'll be up in orbit floating circles around you grumps down on Earth.

Scrapbook that.

Yeah, I think people are just bad at greyness in a spectrum. So you have the women who wanted the space to not be cute and then you end up with people who associate cute with stereotypes regarding femininity. And cute femininity as a supposed betrayal of feminism's goals for achieving equality between genders.

The "skeptical" movement suffers from similar closed minded thinking, convinced all immaterialist notions must lead to religious fanaticism. Which then results in skepticism being abandoned for materialist evangelism. Rather ironic those opposed to religion created their own fundamentalist faith.

There is always inequality and misperceptions. We just have to deal with it. I'm a blue collar, rough-around-the-edges guy frequently seen in flannel shirts and cargo pants and the ever present baseball cap. My shirt doubles as a paper towel, napkin and box of kleenex.

I have a somewhat redneck appearance and once in awhile I'm mistaken for one and those people will talk down to me. But it's always a certain type of person who does this. They don't pay attention to the multitude of clues that suggest there is more to the person they're engaging than they realize.

Some of this is just age and experience. You learn to let people talk for a little bit to get a sense of who they are rather than just going on appearance, which can be quite deceiving.

I'm very likely being naive in saying this, since this is the first internet forum I've ever been active in as an adult, but I've based my responses to y'all's posts based on what was written in them, not on who I believe was behind the posts. Boo boo, fls, and momo say they're female; I think it's refreshing and a boon to have the perspectives of women on here, but at the end of the day it really makes marginal difference to me. I didn't come here to make a pass at the female users or knock them down for being biologically different, I came here because there are way, way bigger issues at stake. I enjoy their company.

Yeah, I think people are just bad at greyness in a spectrum. So you have the women who wanted the space to not be cute and then you end up with people who associate cute with stereotypes regarding femininity. And cute femininity as a supposed betrayal of feminism's goals for achieving equality between genders.

The "skeptical" movement suffers from similar closed minded thinking, convinced all immaterialist notions must lead to religious fanaticism. Which then results in skepticism being abandoned for materialist evangelism. Rather ironic those opposed to religion created their own fundamentalist faith.

I concur wholeheartedly.

I define irony as having been a hipster before it was cool.

Rather ironic those opposed to religion created their own fundamentalist faith.
Ironic perhaps. But it seems to illustrate a universal rule, "It is one of life's tragedies that men become what they oppose"

(the author Dr Arthur Guirdham was a psychiatrist with decades of experience observing human nature - apologies for repetition of a previous post - it seems a useful reminder to all of us, regardless of our position)

Momo wrote: Women were bared from intellectual institutions

B[

Gee, I wonder what she means! Either women were forbidden or otherwise prevented from taking prestigious academic and scientific positions... or they were kicked out of universities and labs with no clothes. Hmm...

I'm very likely being naive in saying this, since this is the first internet forum I've ever been active in as an adult, but I've based my responses to y'all's posts based on what was written in them, not on who I believe was behind the posts. Boo boo, fls, and momo say they're female; I think it's refreshing and a boon to have the perspectives of women on here, but at the end of the day it really makes marginal difference to me. I didn't come here to make a pass at the female users or knock them down for being biologically different, I came here because there are way, way bigger issues at stake. I enjoy their company.

Yeah, Internet forums are different that way. Men can be women, women can be men, idiots can have PhD's and basically anyone can pretend to be someone they're not. I was talking about real life, where these things are not possible.

Another point I should make is men have completely abused power and proven they can't handle even putting on a uniform without generating an ego. As soon as women start to get some where some sick man puts on a dress and cries about equality. When you leave your house and you think of all the horrible things that could happen men is always the top of the list. When a gay person walks down the street they don't fear women they fear persecution from men. Rape men, murder, men, robbery, men , kidnapping, men, cop shoots kid, men men men men that is the damn problem. Our current state of having to fight for freedom is all because men used muscle to ruin everyone else's reality, that's why you notice freedom issues are always about the small the weak the outnumbered because men are like pit bulls they will tear up a chihuahua or a baby or a frightened stiff person, but when faced with a bigger dog or animal they roll over and pee all over them self and join the pack.

Putting men in charge of cleaning up corruption and crime is like letting a fire put it self out.

As a male, may I just say-- I am a sky-bison, not a pit bull.

Yeah, Internet forums are different that way. Men can be women, women can be men, idiots can have PhD's and basically anyone can pretend to be someone they're not. I was talking about real life, where these things are not possible.

Ah, I completely understand, and agree with you. You know, if the real world was more like the internet-- it would just be awful.

Back