The Meaning of Life

Could creativity be an epiphenomenon?
no
Creativity - as a new information object in a local situation - can changes physical probabilities and therefore is a measurable activity or event. Its negentropic influence is a variable needed to model reality.

On a similar note, here is the conclusion in the article just linked by Ethan.
Particles are epiphenomena arising from fields. - Art Hobson
I disagree with this statement for an identical reason. Particles - as an actualized manifestation -- can changes physical probabilities and therefore are measurable activities or events.

Informational objects and physical objects - are both as real as real can be!

Last edited:
I've just watched the first couple of episodes of 12 Monkeys (TV series). Geez ... one paradox tripping over another over another. Hard to watch without constantly thinking ... hang on a minute, wouldn't he be ...??

I'm sure I don't need to say it but ... no spoilers, thank you!

Probably, should have said. That article I've just linked brings into question the nature of time explicitly. Hopefully when EthanT is back he can have a butchers at it.

Probably, should have said. That article I've just linked brings into question the nature of time explicitly. Hopefully when EthanT is back he can have a butchers at it.

For those not born within earshot of Bow Bells, "butchers" = "butcher's hook" = "look"...

In her book, Grace Without God: The Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Belonging in a Secular Age, author Katherine Ozment offers both a personal and critical exploration of the many ways nonreligious Americans create their own traditions and communities after religion. Ozment visited diverse congregations, from an “atheist church” to a storytelling gathering to a nature-based coming-of-age ceremony. She turned to science and the humanities, seeking guidance from noted scholars in a wide range of disciplines. She interviewed community leaders and parents, and searched for meaning on mountaintops and in her own front yard. In her book she shares how her family has found purpose and connection without the organizing principle of religion, and she will present these findings in her talk, along with a group discussion.

"how do we get our children to think of something bigger than themselves" ... while at the same time convincing them that there is no God.

Cheers,
Bill

Back