The Spam Chronicles

I think the problem is that some of the add-ons that Alex has tried have not worked well.
Okay. But I just know decided to see something and I found this from 2013:

I've been running a couple xenForo based forums for the last year, and as soon as spam bots adapted to it, it came pouring in despite my best attempts to eradicate it.

Even with all of the usual anti-spam measures (e.g. blacklists, captchas, custom q & a questions on sign-up, CloudFlare), I still get hundreds of registrations a day that manually have to get cleaned out.

There was also this earlier this year: https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/132845/xenforo-xss.txt

Anyway, whatever the issues may or may not be the spam is not at a level where it's bothersome. So okay I'll report those I see.

Last edited:
Okay. But I just know decided to see something and I found this from 2013:

Anyway, whatever the issues may or may not be the spam is not at a level where it's bothersome. So okay I'll report those I see.
I suppose that depends on your perspective. At the moment I remove approximately 2 items of spam per day. The problem is, suppose whatever automatic mechanism is used to generate this rubbish is ramped up a bit. It is a bit like seeing a leak in a damn - if you do nothing about it, it grows!

David

I suppose that depends on your perspective. At the moment I remove approximately 2 items of spam per day. The problem is, suppose whatever automatic mechanism is used to generate this rubbish is ramped up a bit. It is a bit like seeing a leak in a damn - if you do nothing about it, it grows!

I agree with that. I was just going along with what you requested and putting things in the best light - rather than continuing to push the issue. Though TBH I'd think that this site isn't trafficked enough to be targeted for large-scale bot attacks. I wonder if it's being used as a test site.

I think the problem is that some of the add-ons that Alex has tried have not worked well.

Please make sure you report any spam you see (using the "Report" button at the end of the post), I usually clear out the spam at least one a day, and the sooner it is removed the less 'value' they get out of posting it!

Don't assume someone else has reported it - if I get 10 reports referring to one post, they all get cleared up in one operation.

David

Good advice... I've just been ignoring spam assuming someone else has taken care of it. I'll get off my lazy butt and try to pitch in around here.

Back