Thread for the Occult & Esotericism [Resources]

Discussion in 'Extended Consciousness & Spirituality' started by Sciborg_S_Patel, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Release 2.0 of the Standard Spiritualist and Occult Corpus (SSOC) Available

K9!, ersby, Bucky and 2 others like this.
  2. Bucky

Bucky Member

Wow, 100GB of text data... a huge library indeed :)

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  3. Typoz

Typoz Member

Out of curiosity I looked for a book which I already own (originally published 1919) and yes it is there ... it is indeed a huge resource.

4. K9!, Obiwan and Sciborg_S_Patel like this.
  5. Ouspensky in London

6. Former Dining Room Set

Former Dining Room Set New

Is there anything actually interesting in that archive? Haven't found anything yet. I've never come across any occult literature that wasn't totally gay and mostly bullshit. Stupid crap written by some wannabe in the 1850s when people had their heads even further up their asses than we do today.

Anyhoo, I've just begun viewing John Anthony West's Magical Egypt Series - The Invisible Science... Pretty good stuff.

anonymous and tim like this.
  7. Saiko

Saiko Member

Or maybe - many nowadays - have their heads much "further up their asses" than those writers and are unable to glean effective info from those writings. Hmmm . . . I started writing that as fun snark/sarc but now realize that it is almost certainly the case. Reminds me of that quote about the Tao. :)

8. anonymous

anonymous Member

The best part is the funny pictures. I love those.

9. Giving the anti-gay sentiment in at least some occult literature, I'm assuming you mean "silly" and/or "low quality" by "totally gay"?

Honestly, it's not clear to me the writings of any tradition are much better than the occult/esoterics. As time changes one must see new, applicable ore in old dross right?

10. anonymous

anonymous Member

I think this stuff is interesting from an academic or intellectual point of view. They can give you a real perennial kind of feeling.

But I think when people try to practice and do the work it is sometimes better to have a voice that is of your time, even of your own culture perhaps. There are so many trappings in all this stuff that it is easy to get lost without a voice that speaks directly to you. I've been a spiritual consumer and some of the stuff that really seems good for some folks makes me gag. And of course it depends on what your final destination is as well.

11. I think most of what people see as logical endpoints or the final gnosis is really just - or at least partially - the fulfillment of certain personal tastes.

12. Two Chaos Magic Practices

13. anonymous

anonymous Member

I agree.

14. Caveat: I'm not claiming anything in the following actually works, I just think it's an interesting read.

‘Hex Sex Codex’—Get a Free Download Of Our New Sex Magick Book

15. Former Dining Room Set

I was joking (note the last sentence). I admit it wasn't very funny.

16. To be fair, I find Theosophy insanely boring. :)

17. Former Dining Room Set

I disagree. Aren't we on our ascent out of yuga cycle? The Kali Yuga is always such a drag.

anonymous likes this.
  18. Saiko

Saiko Member

:eek: Really? lol. I would extend my apologies for my response but, even on re-reading your post I don't see any clue that it's facetious. Oh well. No foul, no harm ;)

19. Saiko

Saiko Member

I don't know you but I think it best that you .don't quit your day job. :D

20. Former Dining Room Set

Well, as gabriel once wrote to me:

"As with all replies on this board, I look at the detail and previous form... and it will be balanced against the validity of everything else you've written."

Smart guy.

anonymous likes this.