Mod+ Time [Resources]

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Sciborg_S_Patel, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Usual "rules" - no problem commenting on resources, but if conversations get long best to make a new thread for them. Ideally 3 comments discussing a post, don't go past 5 before making a new thread - thanks!

To kick things off, look for a celebratory song at the end of this post.

The Unreality of Time By John Ellis McTaggart

And now the song:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  2. Quantum Experiment Shows How Time ‘Emerges’ from Entanglement

radicalpolitik and EthanT like this.
  3. Physicists Create Quantum Link Between Photons That Don't Exist at the Same Time

DarthT15 and EthanT like this.
  4. Julian Barbour - Does Time Exist?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  5. A description of Jung's possible Time Slip

EthanT likes this.
  6. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    Szechuan and Sciborg_S_Patel like this.
  7. nbtruthman

nbtruthman New

Time exists in any world in which there is change, because time is the essence of change. Time exists wherever consciousness and experience exists, because conscious experience inherently entails change. Our world contains change and consciousness and therefore also contains time as a real thing (though we do not understand what it actually is). Making an argument that time is unreal is therefore specious and self contradictory since this argument is itself an act of consciousness.

LoneShaman and Haruhi like this.
  8. I'd agree with this. I think it's more about showing we don't understand many things about time.

=-=-=

Thanks to Ethan for putting me on to this:

Chapman University scientists introduce new cosmic connectivity

EthanT likes this.
  9. Remembered seeing this awhile back:

=-=-=

A counterpoint to the above video -> As Hahuri mentioned in other threads, Bergson was against this idea of looking at time in frozen moments. I've not read much about his philosophy of time, having only heard of him a few days ago, but here's his SEP entry:

Henri Bergson (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

'...for him, no image can represent duration. An image is immobile, while duration is “pure mobility”'

10. Smolin's lecture regarding the Evolution of the Laws of Physics, centered on the work which went into his book Time Reborn:

EthanT likes this.

11. Is it possible that time is real, and that the laws of physics are not fixed? Lee Smolin, A C Grayling, Gillian Tett, and Bronwen Maddox explore the implications of such a profound re-think of the natural and social sciences, and consider how it might impact the way we think about surviving the future.

Full event, Q&A available by following link in comments.

EthanT and gabriel like this.

12. 'There are serious indications from attempts to create a quantum theory of gravity that time must disappear completely from the description of the quantum universe. This has been known since 1967, when DeWitt discovered the Wheeler-DeWitt equation.

I shall argue that this forces us to conceive explanation and causality in an entirely new way. The present can no longer be understood as the consequence of the past. Instead, I shall suggest that one may have to distinguish possible presents on the basis of their intrinsic structure, not on the basis of an assumed temporal ordering. If correct, this could have far-reaching implications. Hitherto, because the present has always been interpreted as the lawful consequence of the past, science has made no attempt to answer 'Why' questions, only 'How' questions. But if there is no past in the traditional sense, we must consider things differently. Thus, if we eliminate time, we may even be able to start asking "Why" questions.'

13. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    Dilbert finds a loophole potentially allowing time travel

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  14. Great stuff Ethan. I'm a huge Dilbert fan!

Introduction to Time Symmetric Quantum Mechanics (TSQM)

EthanT likes this.
  15. Surprise! Naturalistic metaphysics undermines naive determinism, part I

Surprise! Naturalistic metaphysics undermines naive determinism, part II

eta: Massimo's not a Platonist or Ontic Realist anymore, see here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014

16. 'The talk will examine an embarrassment shared by both theological and scientific approaches to the intelligibility of the world and h ighlighted for theologians by Special Divine Action (SDA).

I will suggest that a serious, perhaps the central, problem presented by SDA is that of understanding a local event being brought about by an agency or force that is, by definition, absolutely general. The commonly expressed worry that SDA requires of God that he should violate His own laws reflects only the most obvious manifestation of what is a deeper difficulty; namely, finding an adequate explanation of the local, and actual, in the general.

The scientific endeavour to make the universe entirely intelligible - culminating in a putative Theory of Everything – encounters similar problems. I shall examine the Principle of Precedence in its various guises (inertia, laws of nature, probability) and different approaches to causation. They all prove profoundly unsatisfactory for different reasons. The difficulty common to various naturalistic responses to ‘Why’ is that of establishing an adequate connection between the explanandum and the explanation given that the former inevitably sets out general possibilities and the latter is composed of singular actualities.

The goal, or regulative idea, of science – namely finding a sufficient reason for singular events in the general properties of the universe to which they belong - is analogous to the theological aim of making sense of SDA by connecting and reconciling such action with fundamental characteristics of God. I shall argue that theists and atheists both need to look critically at the very idea that things happen because they are made to happen, typically by what has preceded it characterised in most general terms; at the notion of ‘becausation’.

In the final, and most speculative and least-developed, part of the paper, I shall ask whether the search for an explanation of events in something that makes them happen is prompted by a felt need to reconnect items of an intrinsically seamless universe pulled apart into distinct elements by the irruption of self-consciousness into Being. This last idea is offered up tentatively for dissection.'

17. Henri Bergson’s The Creative Mind

18. Space, Time and Consciousness: An Enquiry into Duration

'Since it is a succession of states of consciousness that occurs intensively in our minds in a qualitative way rather than an extensive quantitative phenomenon, duration cannot exist in space – for as soon as we try to objectify and externalise duration, it becomes something else. It becomes space. To make this clear and support his argument, Bergson gives an example of the idea of a flock of fifty sheep being counted in duration. Here we have a flock consisting of fifty sheep, and to count this flock in an attempt to experience duration, one could begin by picturing in his or her mind all the fifty sheep at once. The problem, however, is that in that case the sheep would be placed in space rather in time. Needless to say, this would not represent duration, since there would be no process of succession within one’s mind but just the idea of fifty sheep occupying different spaces within a wider given space.'

'This shift from duration to space is facilitated by the confusion which arises when we try to measure duration. As previously said, duration is immeasurable. If by any means it were to be measured, the only way to do so would be to attach some sort of symbol to it in order to symbolically represent it in space. To that end, whatever symbol that is attached to duration must be placed in space and in space only, it cannot exist outside it.Therefore the relationship between duration and symbols, such as numbers, causes a confusion which leads to time becoming spatialised. We can identify this happening in the aforementioned example of the conscious point traversing the lone: By symbolically representing the trajectory which the point had made and also that which it was yet to make, an objectified line was created in space, which resulted in the qualities produced by duration being nullified and duration becoming space.'

19. Close To Truth Interview Series -> What is Time?

'Time is a mystery; it's not what it seems. Time's flow feels unstoppable, yet some say time is not fundamental, perhaps not even real. Why do physicists and philosophers think time is a construct, something that emerges, not something that is basic? From where does time come? What is its deep essence?
    '

20. Time's Arrow: Can physics explain the nature of time?