Today is exactly one year since my N.D.E.

On November 25, 2019 I suffered as heart attack and died.

It was classic. While working in my shop building a piece of plaque lodged in my LDA artery on the front of my heart (the Widowmaker) and blocked it completely. I dropped like a rock.

I am usually alone for hours and hours in my shop. By a GREAT stroke of luck my giant Nephew happened to visit for a few minutes to borrow some wood screws and saw me drop out.

He knows C.P.R. because he was an Infrantryman in Iraq. He sent his son to call 911 and started it immediately.

At the hospital they froze me in an ice bath for three days to stop the damage, then cleaned out my LDA and inserted a stent.

After five days of unconsciousness I woke up alone on the Bridge of the Starship Enterprise (Next Generation version). What puzzled me for a long time was that I was alone on the bridge. I remember staring at those stars streaking past the ship and wondering "Where the heck are we going? I hope it's somewhere good like a tropical Federation Base, and not some crappy planet full or sharp rocks and ugly reptile aliens."

Turns out, it was the middle of the night and I was looking at the large bay window of my hospital room at the stars. I swear I watched those stars for an hour thinking it was the screen on the bridge of the Enterprise and I was flying through space.

Eventually I shouted out "Hey! Where am I !?!" hoping Counselor Troi would walk through door and gently explain why I was ALONE on the bridge. Why I was alone really did frighten me. I kept thinking "Where is Picard or Worf or Data?! Jebus! I am totally NOT qualified to fly this thing!". I really was afraid of crashing the ship into a star. I really was.

My Son-in-Law suddenly popped up from nowhere at the bottom of the view screen and angrily yelled "You're in the hospital! Now SHUT UP and go back to sleep!" Later he told me he was angry because this was the fifth time that night I woke him up doing that.

Other than waking up, I have only one foggy memory of sitting on the couch at a party last Christmas. I remember nothing from January. In February I began recording memories again.

I lost about 30% of my physical power from heart muscle damage. I tire quickly. I estimate I lost 20% of my cognitive function from brain damage. Decisions take longer. I can't remember things. Solutions to technical problems don't "pop into my head" like they used to. Now I must stop, close my eyes, and deliberately concentrate to summon them.

I had no health insurance and my medical bills totaled around $300,000. In February I began maxing out all my credit lines and transferring assets before declaring Bankruptcy in August. I was able to eliminate almost a half-million in unsecured debt. Score! I highly recommend this.

I'm sorry to report that I did not see any lighted tunnels or meet any dead ancestors. On the ventilator I had no pulse or brain function, but perhaps I wasn't "all-the-way" dead.

Basically I went from feeling woozy in my shop to waking up on the Enterprise, with nothing in between, literally nothing.

The cool part is Every Day on this planet feels like finding a $100 bill laying on the sidewalk. Whoo hoo! Free money! Every morning I wake up and think "HA! I win again!" because I get another free day I wasn't supposed to have.

I used to obsess about things like car maintenance, preventing appliance break-downs, and saving up money for hard times. Now I hardly care about those things. I'm like a teenager on spring break, carefree and enjoying every minute of life.

I will enjoy Thanksgiving a lot tomorrow because I missed it and wrecked it for my family last year.

Last edited:
Charlie, I am so glad you made it through that!

Dare I ask how old you are?

As I read it I thought the deck of the starship enterprise was actually all the LED indicators in the intensive care room (nearly right), but you weren't really focussing. The reason I thought that was because as a postgraduate we had some experiments on the NMR machine that went on late into the evening. When the coast was clear we sometimes turned off the room lights and enjoyed being on the deck of the Starship Enterprise!
Jebus! I am totally NOT qualified to fly this thing!". I really was afraid of crashing the ship into a star. I really was.
I guess yours is the only NDE I have read about that made me laugh!

David

Dare I ask how old you are? As I read it I thought the deck of the starship enterprise was actually all the LED indicators in the intensive care room (nearly right), but you weren't really focussing.
Thanks!

I'm 54. Heart disease is so prevalent on the Irish side of my family that it's a running joke we laugh about at family gatherings. My Aunts, Uncles, and Grandfathers all tend to drop dead from it between the ages of 42 and 58. Their autopsies always show 100% blockage. The German side of my family does not. On that side we assidiously avoid talking about it. It's funny how different the two sides are.

My Father (79) is the odd-ball. From childhood he constantly warned me to take care of my heart because of our family history. This had the opposite effect. I always felt life is super-short and could end at any minute, so I lived fast & dangerously in anticipation of dying young; ...fast motorcycles, hard drugs, MMA fighting, wild women, jail, nightclubs, shady/risky business ventures, etc.

Turns out I was correct! :)

In the hospital all the LED lights on my life-support machines did add to the effect of being on the Enterprise. They lined to bottom of the view screen displaying the stars.

I confess I am disappointed about not seeing a lighted tunnel or dead ancestors. This could indicate I'm not meant to persist after death.

I don't believe in Hell. I believe that if you live a good life, you go to Heaven, and perhaps are allowed to make subsequent runs at "The Earth Experience" as an evolutionary / developmental learning process. If your Consciousness behaved badly on earth, it blinks out of existence upon death, and is deleted.

This seems fair, and aligns with the beneficial, generative "Survival of the Fittest" scheme we see that God built into the Universe. I'm okay with and accept whatever is my result because it's fair.

Last edited:
I confess I am disappointed about not seeing a lighted tunnel or dead ancestors. This could indicate I'm not meant to persist after death.
Don't forget that 90% or thereabouts of people do not get an NDE after a cardiac arrest. The difference might be a physiological quirk.

It might be more relevant to know the percentage of deceased people who cannot be contacted by a good medium.

David

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you're still here!

One small thought which occurred to me is that with such considerable memory loss as you described, there may have been a full NDE with tunnel, ancestors, the works. But It is simply lost in that memory-void. Who can say, not me.

Your philosophy of simply appreciating each day is a good one. Stay well.

Hello Charlie, NDE experiencers who go through the tunnel to 'Heaven' say they no longer fear death. is it the same for you.Thanks
I don't fear death because I was an Atheist for 90% of my life and thus never expected an Afterlife. My NDE didn't change that.

I do fear dying slowly or painfully. I've watched several people die. The worst was a guy who bled to death after his throat was slashed at a motorcycle rally. I held his head while he bled out and lied to him that "everything will be okay".

His carotid artery was open. That's not survivable outside an operating room, and as a First Aid Instructor, I knew it. I tried to pinch the artery closed, but it keep slipping out of my fingers. I saw mostly confusion in his eyes. That's why I comforted him.

Here are the boots I was wearing that night. I had to soak them in my kitchen sink to get his blood out. I threw away the jeans I was wearing...

Hells teeth, that's a lot of information...
So you are an atheist still by the sounds.
My long departed father had an NDE and said he didn't fear death as a result.
We didn't talk much and didn't talk about that.
I guess he must have done the Heaven experience
Wish I could have that conversation with him
If I believe anything, it's the veracity NDE's and the reality of an afterlife
I look at those vids and it seems to me that those people are not lying

So you are an atheist still by the sounds.
Nah. I grew out of that. I'm a Theist now.

BTW, 18 years later I still have those boots. I use them for mucking around in my garden.

PROTIP: If your shoes come apart, this F26 construction adhesive will glue them back together WAY better than Gorilla Glue or Liquid Nails. In the photo you can see it squeezed out from the sole. It dries hard, but still flexible.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Leech-Adhe...Adhesive-Actual-Net-Contents-10-fl-oz/1087177

Amazing stuff !!