Transhumanism: The Search for Human 2.0

Discussion in 'Critical Discussions Among Proponents and Skeptics' started by Sciborg_S_Patel, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Neuroscientist Tallis on Technological Enhancement of Humanity

2. billw

billw New

Dissecting this stuff makes my head hurt. I have this feeling that millions and millions of pages could be summed up in one word, in it's purest form--"Amen."

Cheers,
    Bill

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.

Trancestate likes this.
  4. Bucky and Trancestate like this.
  5. Controversial Philosopher Says Man And Machine Will Fuse Into One Being

6. Bucky

Bucky Member

Our consciusness has expanded into the cloud? :eek:
    I have no idea what this means. Is it because we can google "Arctocephalus" and get an idea of what it is in less than 1 sec?
    How is that different from looking it up on an old fashioned encyclopedia? :)

How exactly is our consciousness expanded? It seems to me that Facebook, Instagram and the like can have "shrinking" effects on our consciousness... if anything, boosting narcissisim, vanity and facilitating ADD :D

Is there any substance to these sort of claims, such as "Consciousness expanding in the cloud", besides fancy buzzwords?

Grumpy cat over and out :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    oleo, Sciborg_S_Patel and Typoz like this.
  7. Genetically engineered humans will arrive sooner than you think. And we're not ready.

8. Morning Fog

Morning Fog New

Ian Malcolm: "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." - Jurassic Park - 1993

9. Hieracosphinx

Hieracosphinx Member

Age of Em is probably the most horrifying piece of futurist speculation I've heard of. I am glad that I find it completely implausible.
    An awful lot of transhumanist technologies could be turned in dystopian directions (and there may not be benevolent AI leaders around to help). In this case, mass-producible labour and the violation of the human mind combine with economic forces to quash individual liberties. That said, I don't think the 'ideal future' will necessarily contain nothing but humans in their present form. It seems too limited compared to the multitude of possibilities this universe must hold. But my perspective is also too limited to make many positive statements on the matter. Maybe we'll be ruled by giant telepathic brains like some old sci-fi short story, or we'll be discussing civil rights for genetically-engineered talking dogs.

10. billw

billw New

11. When Will AI Be Better Than Humans at Everything? 352 AI Experts Answer

12. nbtruthman

nbtruthman New

Maybe a bit of caution is warranted here. From chapter 4 of After Progress: Reason and Religion at the End of the Industrial Age by John Michael Greer:

north, DarthT15 and Bucky like this.
  13. DarthT15

DarthT15 Member

But doesn't that take away a part of what it means to be a Human?

oleo likes this.
  14. This gave me a laugh:

[​IMG]

DarthT15 likes this.