UFO book reading recommendations

Discussion in 'Consciousness & Science' started by Ian Gordon, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Ian Gordon

Ian Gordon Ninshub Member

I'm bringing these posts back from the old Skeptiko forum. On the 212 Janet Colli podcast thread, Kingtal wrote:
    Then I wrote:
    Kingtal responded:
    Ethan T wrote that this one is coming out in April 2014:
    Encounter in Rendlesham Forest: The Inside Story of the World's Best-Documented UFO Incident
    by Nick Pope, John Burroughs and Jim Penniston.

If people have other suggestions, please post them.

manjit, K9!, EthanT and 1 other person like this.
  2. chuck.drake

chuck.drake Guest

3. John Maguire

John Maguire New

Home Page:
    Supernatural by Graham Hancock.

Jeebus and Bucky like this.
  4. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    I don't think I saw Passport to the Cosmos on there, but that's another good John Mack book

5. chuck.drake

chuck.drake Guest

I just finished Abduction today. Does Passport follow the same format--presenting case studies?

6. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    Although it mentions some specific abductees, it's organized differently. The chapters are organized more around the different conceptual aspects of the experience. He does however have chapters on 3 new cases, but these are somewhat different too. They deal with a modern day shaman, an American Indian, and perhaps another shaman, can't quite remember, though, but it links the experience back to cultures all around the world.

If you liked Abduction, you'll probably find this one refreshingly enjoyable.

7. Steve

Steve Member

I hope the Rendlesham Forest one next April reveals more about the binary code, and is not just another ' will the truth ever be known........you'll have to wait until xxxx reveals more in his next book ?' It is bound to leave one asking more questions!

This is my favourite UFO Mystery .

8. john.sundog

john.sundog New

I've read 8 or 10 books about UFOs and for that small survey stuck mostly with recent works figuring, rightly or not, that they would also encompass earlier thinking. I can offer several recommendations that treat the topic from radically different viewpoints.

Jacques Vallee has been one of the UFO field's most subtle thinkers and his thoughts have evolved quite a bit over his long career. Each of his books is a sort of snapshot of his thinking in time, naturally enough. In three of his most recent books, sometimes called his trilogy, he examines the various phenomena from three points of view and develops a rich, mysterious, multi-faceted picture:
    • DIMENSIONS: A Casebook of Alien Contact by Jacques Vallee
    • CONFRONTATIONS: A Scientist's Search for Alien Contact by Jacques Vallee
    • REVELATIONS: Alien Contact and Human Deception by Jacques Vallee
    For those among us who want to read about sightings and encounters from sources that many people consider to be more credible than average, the high-water mark in my experience is:
    • UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record by Leslie Kean
    And for a more encyclopedic and somewhat darker treatment of sightings and encounters:
    • UFOs and the National Security State: Chronology of a Coverup, 1941-1973 by Richard Dolan
    • The Cover-Up Exposed, 1973-1991 by Richard Dolan
    I understand Dolan is planning to issue a third volume to bring the series up to date.

Finally, a book I found surprisingly enjoyable is:
    • Unconventional Flying Objects: A Scientific Analysis by Paul R. Hill
    I say "surprisingly" because I expected it to be written from a simplistic physicalist perspective and my copy sat on my bookshelf for several years before I finally read it. In fact it turned out to be written from a quite sophisticated physicalist perspective and is a rather astounding book.

Hill had his own UFO sighting in 1952 that was investigated by Project Blue Book and classified as Unknown, and he took the subject very seriously. He was an expert on advanced propulsion methods working for NASA, and built experimental flying platforms that mimicked some of the observed UFO behavior. He wrote the book during his career but he couldn't talk about it because the official NASA policy was that UFOs don't exist; the book wasn't published until after his death. He quite credibly tackles an encyclopedic list of observed phenomena including tilt-to-maneuver, the floating leaf descent, and the infamous right-hand turn at high speed (which I witnessed, unmistakably, as a young teenager in its light-in-the-sky version), along with important questions like, what keeps the occupants from being crushed to goo by the rapid maneuvers. The only weakness from my perspective, and it is unimportant in the context of this self-contained book, is that Hill dismisses the possibility that other, non-physicalist events may also be playing a part in the broader spectrum of observed UFO phenomena.

EthanT likes this.
  9. Ian Gordon

10. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    I just wanted to add to and resuscitate this thread. Also, Andy, is it possible that we can make this thread a sticky? I'll report my own post to call attention to it in case you miss this ;-)

Anyhow, just finished reading the Leslie Kean book, UFOS, Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On The Record. Excellent book!

In the book she runs with a definition of UFO that goes something along these lines: (1) an aerial phenomenon that cannot be explained under known natural or artificial means (2) which implies performance characteristics above and beyond current aerospace applications. They also remain agnostic to the "extraterrestrial hypothesis"

With that definition in mind and after reading the many impressive cases presented in the book, it's really hard to believe that whether, or not, the phenomenon is real is still a controversial matter!

Anyhow, I'd really recommend it to anybody interested in UFOs. One of the better books out there on the topic, written from a more sober, scientific viewpoint.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  11. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
  12. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

13. Ian Gordon

I'm looking forward to this, and glad he's still working at it. Here's an entry from Dolan's blog from a month ago:

14. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    Hadn't heard of Hy Brazil before, but recently read about it in Pope's new book on Rendelshem, It is supposed to come from the binary code Penniston received. Pretty weird stuff!

15. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    I'm currently reading LightQuest by Andrew Collins. Pretty interesting stuff and a completely different spin on UFOs.

Collins is basically arguing against the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis, in that UFOs are structured craft with grays on them. Instead he's arguing they are a type of plasma intelligence. These "plasma-balls" would have powerful electric/magnetic fields that could explain everything from aircraft malfunctions and strange conscious experiences when folks get too close to them. Apparently, some of Persinger's work was done specifically to address the UFO question along these lines. It even offers an explanation why they show up on radar sometimes and not others. Etc.

I definitely find some of his arguments compelling, but still not able to explain all UFO phenomenon. When I think of things like the Hesdellan (sp?) Lights this really makes sense. When you start to think about things like Roswell, not so much, but he does spend the first couple chapters "debunking" Roswell. Actually, kind of think of it, Collins says the Plasma phenomenon doesn't quite add up for all the Hesdellan phenomenon either. Made me wonder why, since he didn't elucidate on that.

Anyhow, it's another one that's worth a read at least. Anybody else hear of this plasma theory and have any opinions?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  16. Juicy Fruit Jackson Jr.

Juicy Fruit Jackson Jr. New

17. Ian Gordon

Thanks for this Ethan. Sounds like a good read.

They now can be seen as sentient energy forms and complex plasma constructs manifestations of a higher dimensional reality that has co-existed with the human race since time immemorial, and was in the past seen as the Realm of Faerie. This book embraces a new understanding of the UFO phenomenon by accepting that its existence is deeply rooted in everything from quantum entanglement to multi-dimensional experiences, strange worlds that interpenetrate our own, and psychic communications.

Definitely sounds to my ears like this is on the right track.

This related article refers to that book.
    http://ufodigest.com/article/are-uf...sma-their-life-force-residing-electric-energy

EDIT:
    Conclusions: I stress that I also believe some UFO occupants come from time (what we call "the human future") and are probably corporeal beings, as well as other UFO occupants coming from "space" (far distant planets), who are also probably corporeal. I do not feel that "plasma" solves the UFO puzzle. I feel that we are being visited by a plethora of mind-boggling beings from all sorts of mind-boggling sources!

Plasma people (and the frequent channeling of or medium contact with) were referred to in this previous thread:
    http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/mythology-of-ufos-and-abduction.172/#post-3091

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  18. EthanT

EthanT Member

Home Page:
    I like that conclusion. Occasionally in the book, you get the feeling Collins is trying to say it's ALL plasma, but I think that would be a mistake. If the Universe is as rife with life as some people are starting to think, it wouldn't be surprising if there were multiple types of beings checking us out.

Thanks for the links, I'll check 'em out!

19. Ian Gordon

I get the feeling a lot - most? - UFO researchers develop a perspective and try to fit the data into it. I've heard even the sainted Vallée has been known to cherry pick.