Using the features of this new forum

I cannot seem to get an avatar, I found where to change it, but nothing seems to respond ? Maybe its because I'm using an Ipad ?

Anyone help ?

edit…..It was an iPad issue

Last edited:
I missed if this issue was raised: sending private PMs (conversations).

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a private conversation - not in the sense that only two people can contribute to it, but that it cannot be read by other members?

The box you can check says "Lock conversations - no responses will be allowed". But it doesn't say anything about it being private.

We could test it: I can send a conversation to someone checking the "Lock" box and one or other members can then check to see if they can see it. (Although soon I'm going to work. Other people can try it if you want to.)

I missed if this issue was raised: sending private PMs (conversations).

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a private conversation - not in the sense that only two people can contribute to it, but that it cannot be read by other members?

The box you can check says "Lock conversations - no responses will be allowed". But it doesn't say anything about it being private.

We could test it: I can send a conversation to someone checking the "Lock" box and one or other members can then check to see if they can see it. (Although soon I'm going to work. Other people can try it if you want to.)

I think you can, Ian. I'm under the impression that I've had a number already. By all means test it out with me if you wish: just initiate the conversation and test it out through a sequence of exchanges if you wish.

I think you can, Ian. I'm under the impression that I've had a number already. By all means test it out with me if you wish: just initiate the conversation and test it out through a sequence of exchanges if you wish.
I assumed that the option "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others" if left blank would restrict it to just the initial participants.

I've sent you two tests!

On a separate issue, I've selected the option of privacy regarding my profile page to "Members Only". I wanted to see if members can see it, because I went to visit someone else's (as a member, of course) and was refused access.

On a third issue, Alex: I see you've replaced some of the smiley faces with small, colorless drab ones. I guess you saw some folks complaining. But now I'm preferring the original ones! :p These new ones are a little hard to see.

Last edited:
On a separate issue, I've selected the option of privacy regarding my profile page to "Members Only". I wanted to see if members can see it, because I went to visit someone else's (as a member, of course) and was refused access.

Ian, I was able to access your profile page.

Pat

Is there a way to change the forum "skin"?
Plain white feels a bit to bright compared to the easy blue on the old Skeptiko forum.

Is there a way to change the forum "skin"?
Plain white feels a bit to bright compared to the easy blue on the old Skeptiko forum.

See #2 in this thread. I asked Alex about changing the colour but he wants it white. This is a way round it if you use Firefox.

See #2 in this thread. I asked Alex about changing the colour but he wants it white. This is a way round it if you use Firefox.
Ah ok. But there use to be plugins for the forum-settings as well, where you can change the skin to an individual colour and appearance. So Alex can have his white while others have their own. Maybe he can look into that. Otherwise I have to go with your suggestion (thanks) because this white is just killing me. :)

Ah ok. But there use to be plugins for the forum-settings as well, where you can change the skin to an individual colour and appearance. So Alex can have his white while others have their own. Maybe he can look into that. Otherwise I have to go with your suggestion (thanks) because this white is just killing me. :)

Yeah, I felt the same way about the colour. Matter of fact, if I hadn't found a way round it, it could have been a deal breaker for me. There are plenty of add-ons available for Xenforo, as it happens, and maybe one of those would allow for individual tailoring of the colour scheme. Alex, if you're reading this, any chance you could investigate?

Yeah, I felt the same way about the colour. Matter of fact, if I hadn't found a way round it, it could have been a deal breaker for me. There are plenty of add-ons available for Xenforo, as it happens, and maybe one of those would allow for individual tailoring of the colour scheme. Alex, if you're reading this, any chance you could investigate?
Yeah, would really like the option of changing the "skin" individually. White can be one of them, so Alex gets his.

When I used MIRC often some years back I found a special mix of colour and text that was sooo soothing for my eyes. I could sit by the screen indefinitely without getting tired or sore eyes. The mix I used was Matrix-green. It is black background and bright green text. It sounds insane but try it out sometime when you have to read a large amount of text on screen.

Click on the lower picture to get a close-up.

PS: It's not my old MIRC-logs if you wondered. I just googled them :)

bill-spaz-interfaces-556x287.jpg

IRC_title_foreground_background_issue.png

When it comes to the forum skin, there will be lots of differing opinions - though I don't know whether it was an issue on the old forum. I find several things that I would prefer were different here.
column width: long horizontal lines of text are much harder to read than a narrower column of text. You only have to pick up a newspaper to see that.
start/end of individual posts: I find this can be somewhat of a long stream-of-consciousness with no clear separation of who said what.
Avatars: I'd prefer not to see these. Even the inoffensive ones are a distraction.
Colour scheme and font size etc: mostly personal preference. Font sizes can easily be adjusted in the browser.

For my needs I made some custom CSS for Firefox, it's still a work in progress as parts of it stopped working during some rearrangement here.

However, I do think that this is somewhat of a wrong route. Individual users shouldn't really need to override defaul settings.

Users only have the ability to add MOD+ to new threads in the SvB forum. Can you please enable adding that prefix to threads that are started in the other forums as well? Thanks.

Back