• Thread starter Sciborg_S_Patel
  • Start date
Kyle Thompson

15101819619_c133407336_z.jpg

15265550436_ff8d4a3de9_c.jpg

15265550786_4e6bca727e_z.jpg

Perhaps surprisingly, a powerful examination of children in armed conflict:

Japanese Media and Psychedelic Yokai

"The popularity of monster hunting culture in the demon blood-soaked West comes from its prehistoric psychedelic origins, when our ancestors freely indulged in visionary plants and found themselves living in the enchanted world of laughing fairies."

The dark fantasy masterpieces Berserk, along with the Souls trilogy of games—created by Kentaro Miura and the ever mysterious Hidetaka Miyazaki, respectively—are particularly striking in their masterful use of metaphysical tropes in a genre still underrepresented in transmedia. Certain perceptions of demonology that have held true arguably since the invasion of Judeo-Christian myth in the West; namely that all supernatural creatures other than God and the angels are tricksters not to be trusted, are entirely dismantled in these stories and the greater lore of Japanese/shinto mythos.

I will argue here, as I have previously, that the staying power of dark fantasy narratives in the psyche of the West and the popularity of consciousness altering media is a not-very-subtle reminder of an ontologically real human history. We jack into the astral video game world as a way of fulfilling our unconscious desire to slip between worlds, as the shamans and yogis do.

The Veil of Dreams – The Beauty of Collaborative Art Projects & Intimacy

Their names are Jesse Bransford and Max Razdow and they are both artists living in New York. Jesse was Max’s art teacher at NYU. They admired each other’s art and got on well. They stayed in touch. Their art is very different and yet it meets somewhere where reality stops.

The collaborative project they are about to share at I:MAGE started with a request: do you want to be in an art show of esoteric artists (http://fulgur.co.uk/image/concept/) and do you want to write up a few words on a blog about it. They said yes and came up with The Veil of Dreams which to my knowledge, is the first piece of intra-active art between two artists and the world of the internet spanning across media as varied as dream journals, canvases, blogs, social media and three countries.

They started recording their dreams on May 1st and carry on they will till October 31st. The aim: to enter each other’s dream space by integrating magical symbols belonging to the Seidr tradition into their daily life. Their dream journals, filled with precise images and neat hand writing at times and quickly scribbled notes and doodles at others have been meticulously posted on the Veil of Dreams blog every other day, for months. They both use this online space to compare experiences and overlaps, to elaborate on where the project is going and to pin down ideas for the collaborative works they are making.

Untitled.png

"Interactive work by artist Gaynor O'Flynn titled, "Kora" which means meditation & pilgrimage in TIbetan. Working with the nuns of Nagi Gompa & members of t.b.c., the beinghuman collective, Gaynor created a unique interactive work. The voices of the nuns control the light, reacting in real time to the sound, the circles then were projected onto the stupa.

The work took place on 27.11.12 as part of Kathmandu International Art Festival on Boudhanath Stupa, a UNESCO world heritage site."

Thanks for this, some incredible images here:

tumblr_mqqgzyyz7N1r8at5qo1_500.jpg

=-=-=

A Buyer's Guide to Maps of Antarctica

The Great Man looked up from his bread and held the eye of the Naval Cartographer. Their beards were both very long, but Acuña's was neatly cut and kept, while Maldonado's snarled and ran to the stone floor.

"I promised you, my friend," he said, his voice very rough, "that it was big enough. Big enough for us both to look on it and hold in our vision two separate countries, bound only by longitude."

"What's big enough?" little Raiquen asked, tugging on his father's hand, which had two gold rings upon it.

But Acuña did not answer. For my own part, my heart was filled with long plains of ice receding into eternity, and on those plains my prisoner walked with bare feet and a cup of gold.

—Keeper of the Key: The Autobiography of a Prison Guard, Rafael Soto, 1949

“All Art is Magick…There is no more potent means than Art of calling forth true Gods to visible appearance."
— Aleister Crowley, Liber ABA, Part 3, Chapter X.

"Art is, like magick, the science of manipulating symbols, words or images to achieve changes in consciousness."
~ Alan Moore

"Art and ritual have a common root, and neither can be understood without the other..." ~ Jane Harrison, Ancient Art and Ritual

=-=-=

Polyphonic Overtone Singing - Anna-Maria Hefele

"Anna-Maria Hefele is a one woman vocal ensemble. Trained in overtone singing, she is able to manipulate the resonances of her voice to produce polyphonous melodies, producing a ghostly and enchanting sound."

=-=-=

Lizzy John

hive_head_by_lizzy_john-d5mbcbp.jpg

The_Noose_by_GraySapphire.jpg

Calling_the_Giants_by_GraySapphire.jpg

“All Art is Magick…There is no more potent means than Art of calling forth true Gods to visible appearance."
— Aleister Crowley, Liber ABA, Part 3, Chapter X.

"Art is, like magick, the science of manipulating symbols, words or images to achieve changes in consciousness."
~ Alan Moore

"Art and ritual have a common root, and neither can be understood without the other..." ~ Jane Harrison, Ancient Art and Ritual

=-=-=

To me, much of the art you've posted in this thread is wonderful, wondrous, "gateway capable," and tending to magical. A big ;;/? Thank you.

Back