Watch A Mile Of 3,000-Foot-High Ice Fall Into The Ocean

EthanT

The video at the end is pretty darn impressive.

Also, looks like we now know the sinking of the Titanic can ultimately be blamed on climate change ;-)

It's hard to truly appreciate the effects of climate change. We hear of a two degree jump over the course of decades, of dwindling animal populations, and of sea levels rising inches. These effects don't sound all that stunning.

But when we see something like an island-sized chunk of ice fall into the ocean, that's when we really start to understand the drastic impacts that climate change is happening — already. Even now. Even back in 2008.

It was in May 2008, when a team of documentarians in western Greenland caught one of the most stunning examples of climate change in action. They were there to see what's happening to the world's glaciers first hand.

What they recorded is both awe-inspiring and terrifying.

They visited the Ilulissat Glacier, also known as the Jakobshavn Glacier or Sermeq Kujalleq. It has an area of more than 42,000 square miles and is believed to be the same glacier that produced the iceberg that sank the Titanic.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chasing-ice-glacier-calving-climate-change-2014-10

screen%20shot%202014-10-14%20at%202.49.58%20pm.png

I investigated 'calving' in the antarctic year's back, when I still used to argue this stuff, there is a lot more to it than is explained in that article.

I investigated 'calving' in the antarctic year's back, when I still used to argue this stuff, there is a lot more to it than is explained in that article.

I'm sure, pop-sci is always like that. I mainly posted this for the video, which I thought was pretty crazy. Must have been quite a sight to behold in person!

Whoa! That was mega-cool! ;;/?

A quick trip to WackiPedia and: "At the Jakobshavn Glacier or Sermeq Kujalleq, in an ongoing event, 35 billion tonnes of icebergs calve off and pass out of the fjord every year."

I'll have to see if there's more vids on this stuff. Meanwhile, it seems to be something that isn't "all about climate change."

Back