Watch Atheist TV Live

Why, then, do skeptics ask for proofs all the time?
Hmmm... I see it the other way around. Larkin has just challenged a new member to prove materialism in another part of the forum... Yet what drew me to Skeptiko was the certainty of its host (and some members of the forum) regarding aspects of consciousness etc.

Hmmm... I see it the other way around. Larkin has just challenged a new member to prove materialism in another part of the forum... Yet what drew me to Skeptiko was the certainty of its host (and some members of the forum) regarding aspects of consciousness etc.
Ok, I was thinking of twitter.

I like the cartoon, but I don't think it is the atheists* who are proposing anything more than this...

(*I guess I mean agnostics, but agnostics tend to live their live atheisticallly...)

I live my life like an atheist, but if people are happy by believing in god, more power to them. The religious folk in the UK tend to be sweet old ladies who bake Victoria Sponge and make tea, rather than a firebrand preacher threatening eternal damnation.

If church was like this though, I'd damn well go:

Converge to what? 95% probability?
That's not a certain proof!
I never spoke of certainty. We're asking for the same level of confidence that different lines of empirical evidence converge to one best explanation. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Back