What are you listening to?

And on the subject of vkgoeswild as a particular female virtuouso... see how you like her cover of Lullaby. Am I imagining this or is she literally playing (with two hands) three melodic parts at once, at times, e.g. between 0:45 and 1:05 (listen to the original, below, if you're not convinced that these really are three separate melodies)? My goodness, this woman is talented.

Original:

On a roll, Pollux, five top ("like"able) picks in a row, I think that's a record in this thread (from my subjective perspective, of course!). I'm almost two weeks late to the party, not sure what happened there, must have mixed up my notifications.

OK, so, a contribution of my own: a guitar cover of one of my favourite Led Zeppelin songs, by a 15-year-old female virtuoso:

-Since I've Been Loving You- Guitar Cover by Ayla

Edit: original here:

Glad you liked them.
Great cover of the Zeppelin song there. Here is another great young female virtuoso. A Swedish gal named Gabriella Quevedo, doing both the rhythm and vocal-melody of Eagles - Hotel California (it has a long intro, but it's worth listening to it all) ;

Same here; rhythm and vocal-melody of Aerosmith's - Dream On

More talented girls; This young, little Spanish sprite/elf-señorita Marta Altesa, is a groove-master on the bass.
I'm partial, as a bassplayer myself, but it's pretty hard to sit still while listening to her doing these covers. :D

Marta Altesa - (Jamiroquai) - Time Won't Wait [Bass Cover]

Marta Altesa - (Bruno Mars) - Chunky [Bass Cover]

Marta Altesa - (Jamiroquai) - Don't Give Hate A Chance [Bass Cover]

Marta Altesa - (Patrice Rushen) - Forget Me Nots [Bass Cover]

Speaking of groove; these guys in Dirty Loops from Stockholm, are just musical prodigies - all three of them. If you have a hard time with jazz/funk-fusion, or dont play any instrument yourself, it can be hard to appreciate them, but in that particular scene, of jazz/funk-fusion, they are considered demigods. Praised by musicians like Stevie Wonder, Quincy Jones, and Toto's Steve Luthaker, they are really making an impact. :D

DIRTY LOOPS - Circus
This is actually a Britney Spears cover - but the only thing "left" of it is merely the lyrics. :D

Here is the original, for comparison - if you can endure it. :)

If you ever owned a Samsung phone you might recognize this one..

Over the Horizon 2016: Samsung Galaxy Brand Sound - by Dirty Loops

DIRTY LOOPS - Hit Me

Pollux! What have you done?! You have introduced me to Electro Swing, and now I am hooked.

Oh boy :) Yeah there is a pretty big scene of Electro Swing out there - and an underground-scene of normal Swing & Electro Swing-dancers as well. It can sure look pretty funny, but they are pretty talented. :)

Dancers of Electro Swing Vol.2

Caravan Palace is pretty good. A sort of gypsy electro-swing-band. :)

Caravan Palace - Dramophone

Caravan Palace - Suzy

Bright Lights Late Nights - the Speakeasies' Swing Band

Top stuff, Pollux - yet again. Those are some quality musicians playing quality music. There seems to be a lot of overlap in the music you and I appreciate. Dirty Loops pretty much blew me away, those guys are super-talented. And I especially loved how Marta seemed to be really enjoying herself as she played.

On the subject of talented young female bassists, I'm betting she's not news to you, but how do you like Tal Wilkenfeld?

Tal Wilkenfeld serendipity live (IIRC, Tal composed this song, but don't quote me on that)

Studio version: Tal Wilkenfeld - Serendipity

She can sing, too:

Tal Wilkenfeld - Under the Sun - 3/4/2016 - Paste Studios, New York, NY

Thinking along the lines of a young(ish) female super-band, we've got two bassists, two guitarists, and a keyboardist... now how about a drummer?

Meytal Cohen is one strong contender:

TOOL - FORTY SIX & 2 - DRUM COVER BY MEYTAL COHEN

And here's another, whom I've just discovered in looking up that track, Brooke C:

Tool 'Forty Six and 2' (Drum Cover)

What do you think? Can we get them all together? Would major music come of it? :-)

This is actually a Britney Spears cover - but the only thing "left" of it is merely the lyrics. :D

Brilliant!

And you've made me think of Rage Against the Machine's (RATM's) covers album, Renegades, where they pretty much rework every cover to the point that it's a totally new song other than the lyrics. Here's one example (probably my fave from that album):

Original: EPMD-I'm Housin'

Cover: RATM - Im Housin'

Last edited:
Never seen anyone rock the acoustic bass like this:
[...]

Oh yes! I came across Adam Ben Ezra a while ago after somebody posted this track to Facebook:

Can't Stop Running - Percussive Double Bass Solo - Adam Ben Ezra

I bought his album on the back of that. Well worth it!

Hey Laird, love your style of music. Gotta get back to you on this thread. For some reason this MusicThread makes my browser crash when it tries to load all the YouTube-clips..Takes like 3-6min to load the page... ./-)

Hey Laird, love your style of music. Gotta get back to you on this thread. For some reason this MusicThread makes my browser crash when it tries to load all the YouTube-clips..Takes like 3-6min to load the page... ./-)

Glad you like the tracks. Re browser crashes: I have similar problems here, I'm guessing others do too - maybe we should start linking to clips rather than embedding them? It's less convenient but more browser-friendly.

Yes, it gives me problems too, a simple link doesn't look as pretty, but is much less resource-hungry. Still, I have the same problem with some newspaper websites which are crammed full of useless javascript and nonsense that they take forever to load.

Back