What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by Jim_Smith, Feb 6, 2016.

1. This thread is for posting about things you are reading that you want to let others know about. It doesn't have to be about consciousness it can be a novel or anything.

2. Michael2

Michael2 New

Reorientations of Western Thought from Antiquity to the Renaissance, F.Edward Cranz

http://www.amazon.com/Reorientation...qid=1454795519&sr=8-4&keywords=F+Edward+Cranz

Here is an illuminating article by Tom Cheetham on F. Edward Cranz and the "reorientation" thesis.

http://henrycorbinproject.blogspot.com/2010/09/f-edward-cranz-in-memoriam.html

From the article, my bolding:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. Raimo

Raimo New

Indridi Indridason: The Icelandic Physical Medium by Erlendur Haraldsson and Loftur Gissurarson. I just finished reading this book, and currently I'm rereading Glimpses of Eternity by Raymond Moody.

4. Not really reading it yet just letting folks know...

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  5. Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. Whitehead's Radically Different Postmodern Philosophy: An Argument for Its Contemporary Relevance (SUNY Series in Philosophy)

A good review of the book:

7. Brian_the_bard

Brian_the_bard Lost Pilgrim Member

A Man Rides Through - the second book of Mordant's Need by Stephen Donaldson.
    Terisa was an abused and neglegted child who, as an adult, surrounded herself with mirrors to remind herself that she existed. One day, a strange man comes crashing through one of her mirrors and invites her into another world where, far from being unimportant, she becomes the most important being in the land. It is a world where mirrors work magic and she finds she has a natural talent for imagery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordant%27s_Need

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  8. SciFiFanatic101

SciFiFanatic101 New

https://www.amazon.com/New-Age-Reli...id=1494480062&sr=8-1&keywords=new+age+western

https://www.amazon.com/Flower-Ornam...d=1494480174&sr=8-1&keywords=avatamsaka+sutra

[QUOTE
    The Avataṃsaka Sūtra (Sanskrit; alternatively, the Mahāvaipulya Buddhāvataṃsaka Sūtra) is one of the most influential Mahayana sutras of East Asian Buddhism. The title is rendered in English as Flower Garland Sutra, Flower Adornment Sutra, or Flower Ornament Scripture.

The Avataṃsaka Sūtra describes a cosmos of infinite realms upon realms, mutually containing one another. The vision expressed in this work was the foundation for the creation of the Huayan school of Chinese Buddhism, which was characterized by a philosophy of interpenetration. The Huayan school is known as Hwaeom in Korea and Kegon in Japan
    ][/QUOTE]

https://www.amazon.com/Xeelee-Steph...qid=1494480323&sr=8-1&keywords=xeelee+omnibus

9. Baccarat

Baccarat New

10. Typoz

Typoz Member

[​IMG]
    The interleaved accounts of the author's investigation into his own past lives, with the tale of a radio operator on the Titanic.

11. Parapsychology, Philosophy, and Spirituality: A Postmodern Exploration by David Ray Griffin

12. I've always been meaning to get into Lord Foul's Bane. From what I understand the crime committed by the protagonist, possibly/arguably by accident, informs the the metaphysics and narrative of what happens afterward.

It seems like a genuinely enchanted world, rather than magic as one more "stat" that could be encoded in a computer game about shooting/killing.

13. Brian_the_bard

Brian_the_bard Lost Pilgrim Member

It's the only part of the book I don't like and it is totally unnecessary. To justify such a crime the way Donaldson has is a crime in itself and the minor way it affects the story could have been achieved another way. Recovering from leprosy would not turn a decent man into a rapist! Having said that, it is an amazing book and an amazing series and if there are any tough bits, it is well worth it to read through to the end in White Gold Wielder - the last of the second series - an awesome ending and quite unexpected.

14. But - given how much I actually read - part of his issue is the surge of desire coupled with his belief he is in a dream. So he feels like he is high and that he is not in a real place.

I don't think Donaldson wanted to justify it, though perhaps I've not read far enough - my understanding is the moral weight of the crime affects not only the characters' mental states but the very state of reality?

Probably worth a thread of its own but my interest is due to my interest in "Enchanted" worlds - worlds where our moral/emotional states impact the very nature of the external world. I would even argue that without this fantasy is just science fiction with psychic field effects and weird "laws" of nature....

Brian_the_bard likes this.
  15. SciFiFanatic101

SciFiFanatic101 New

Finished with

yoga dream.jpg

Currently reading

images.jpg

Future reading

ess.jpg

vedanta.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Ian Gordon and Sciborg_S_Patel like this.
  16. Ian Gordon

Ian Gordon Ninshub Member

SciFiFanatic101 likes this.
  17. Suzanne

Suzanne New

I'm re reading Kevin Kelly The inevitable

18. Steve

Steve Member

Choices: One Man's Spiritual Journey. By Stephen McKinnell

Part of my own story.

malf, Ian Gordon and Trancestate like this.