What are your thoughts?

This may have posted here before but I stumbled across this article about how Harvard scientists supposedly found the part of the brain that materialists think produce consciousness :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...ointed-the-neural-source-of-consciousness/amp

there is also this one where two scientists are going head to head to see if who can find consciousness first :

https://www.quantamagazine.org/neur...a-showdown-over-consciousness-ideas-20190306/

I would truly love to pick the Skeptiko Forums brains and see what your thoughts are regarding this.

Regarding the first piece, the central problem isn't to find out which bits of the brain generates consciousness, it is to answer the question as to how matter interacting with more matter (wherever it is in the brain) can generate consciousness. This is one form of the Hard Problem, as formulated by the philosopher, David Chalmers.
Now a new project currently under review hopes to close in on some answers. It proposes to draw up a suite of experiments that will expose theories of consciousness to a merciless spotlight, in the hope of ruling out at least some of them.
That sounds rather like the sort of idea a scientist comes up with if he hasn't a clue!

You need to realise that scientists have been

David this game for many decades now without any real progress.

https://www.sciencealert.com/harvar...pinpointed-the-neural-source-of-consciousness
"The team double-checked their work by looking at fMRI scans of 45 patients in comas or vegetative states, and showed that all of them had the network between these three regions disrupted. "​

Correlation does not prove causation.

The empirical evidence is more consistent with the brain being a filter of consciousness than with the brain producing consciousness.

https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/skeptical_fallacies#skeptical_fallacies_brain

A filter can break in two ways: it can be clogged, or it can be punctured. According to the filter model of the brain, when brain damage causes loss of function like amnesia, that is like a clog in the filter. When brain damage produces new mental capabilities, such as ESP or in Acquired Savant Syndrome (see below) that is like a hole in the filter. Furthermore, if you release the conscious mind from the brain as happens during a near death experience you should have expanded, unfiltered, consciousness. This is exactly what happens during a near death experience (see below). The production model cannot explain how injuries to the brain could produce new functions like ESP or Acquired Savant Syndrome, or how expanded consciousness could occur during a near death experience, therefore the filter model is a better explanation of how the brain functions.​
All the evidence for the afterlife shows that consciousness is not produced by the brain.

And the evidence for ESP also shows that consciousness is not produced by the brain because the brain cannot produce ESP.

(I do think it's possible that the brain can produce some thoughts which consciousness could perceive just as signals from the eyes can be perceived as images.)

There are also a number of philosophical arguments that matter cannot produce consciousness.

Last edited:
I’m so excited that both of you responded because I am a long time lurker and value your words very much. There was another one I saw where not everyone has an internal monologue they just see words... would this be just a block in the filter or just not being open enough?

I’m so excited that both of you responded because I am a long time lurker and value your words very much. There was another one I saw where not everyone has an internal monologue they just see words... would this be just a block in the filter or just not being open enough?

I saw this today ...
https://ryanandrewlangdon.wordpress...-internal-monologue-and-it-has-ruined-my-day/

I think it is probably a difference in the way the brain works but I'm not sure if it's due to a "hole" or a "clog' in the filter or neither. The brain is very complicated and there are natural variations among individuals. I wrote: "(I do think it's possible that the brain can produce some thoughts which consciousness could perceive just as signals from the eyes can be perceived as images)".

But I think it is least likely to be a "clog" because they don't seem to have problems speaking out loud so it isn't like their language centers are deficient. It's more like they just prefer not to use language when they think.

If forced to put it in one of the two categories I would suppose it is more like a hole in the flter - they are thinking more like the way spirits think - non verbally. While spirits can communicate in language they don't need to among themselves. When they do communicate through mediums they make use of the medium's brain. That's why it is easier (but not impossible) for spirits to communicate through some mediums more easily than others. They can communicate in a language unknown to the medium in some cases, but it's easier for them if the medium has a similar vocabulary and knowledge base if they are going to communicate on a specialized topic, (but in general less educated mediums with fewer fixed opinions are easier for spirits to communicate through on general topics.).

It is also relevant to this discussion that there is some evidence that there is a spirit body that corresponds to the physical body and any activity measured in the brain may represent activity in the brain of the spirit body.

This article (below) describes a spiritual healer who would go into a trance and the doctor of a spirit would come into him and produce remarkable cures by operating on the spirit body of the patient:

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2014/12/zerdinis-world-article-on-george-chapman.html
"He is credited with curing an inoperable and malignant brain tumour, among other cancers, as well as with improving various eye conditions and even lengthening a patient's leg."​

I saw this today ...
https://ryanandrewlangdon.wordpress...-internal-monologue-and-it-has-ruined-my-day/

I think it is probably a difference in the way the brain works but I'm not sure if it's due to a "hole" or a "clog' in the filter or neither. The brain is very complicated and there are natural variations among individuals. I wrote: "(I do think it's possible that the brain can produce some thoughts which consciousness could perceive just as signals from the eyes can be perceived as images)".

But I think it is least likely to be a "clog" because they don't seem to have problems speaking out loud so it isn't like their language centers are deficient. It's more like they just prefer not to use language when they think.

If forced to put it in one of the two categories I would suppose it is more like a hole in the flter - they are thinking more like the way spirits think - non verbally. While spirits can communicate in language they don't need to among themselves. When they do communicate through mediums they make use of the medium's brain. That's why it is easier (but not impossible) for spirits to communicate through some mediums more easily than others. They can communicate in a language unknown to the medium in some cases, but it's easier for them if the medium has a similar vocabulary and knowledge base if they are going to communicate on a specialized topic, (but in general less educated mediums with fewer fixed opinions are easier for spirits to communicate through on general topics.).
This definitely makes sense because now that I think of it, most mediums say that they don’t really hear talking they’re shown images.