What does Mod+ mean?

Discussion in 'Guidelines & Introductions' started by malf, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Pollux

Pollux New

I think the explanation fits rather perfectly with how I interpreted it from the beginning, don't you think?

2. fls

fls Member

Yeah, this doesn't really explain why the mod+ label would be used. It tells you that some people are supposed to stay away altogether from the various consciousness forums and Alex's podcast threads. But it doesn't explain what you're supposed to do with the mod+ label in threads which don't have anything to do with consciousness, or why you would have a mod+ designation in those parts of the forum where "biological robot" discussions are already disallowed.

To be honest, I don't think it is anything more than a "keep out" sign. That's why these attempts to look for some sort of explanation for its presence are useless. When Jim Smith puts it on an ID thread, it means "keep out, Paul". I'm not sure why malf, steve001, and Paul are trying to figure out how to make it so that they can participate in mod+ threads. Why bother?

Linda

3. Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Nap, interrupted. Member

I'm not necessarily trying to figure out how to participate. I'm complaining primarily because

Mod+ = keep out X, Y, and Z

is a ridiculous default. Put those damn threads in C&S or EC&S, where we are already banned.

I don't know why this is turning into such a big deal. Do thread starters simply not have the balls to state the reasons for Mod+ tag?

~~ Paul

4. K9!

K9! New

The reason people are using mod+ is because they don't want you derailing their threads in "other". I thought being confined to CD meant you were confined to CD, but you have been using "other" as a loophole to sneak "stuck on stupid" out of it's corner where it belongs.

tim and Trancestate like this.
  5. fls

fls Member

Yes, it's ridiculous. Did you expect something different?

Linda

6. K9!

K9! New

Banning you would make much more sense, but Alex likes to keep you around to point at.

tim likes this.
  7. steve001

steve001 Member

I'm not.

8. steve001

steve001 Member

I like my silly dogma just as much as you like your silly dogma. :)

9. Bart V

Bart V straw materialist Member

Take your stinking paws of my silly dogma you damn dirty ape!

10. fls

fls Member

Ah, apologies, then to Steve, malf and Paul. You just wanted it to make sense.

I've sent you a PM with my advice.

Linda

11. tim

tim New

Oh that would be so sooooooo good ! Some of my happiest moments have been on discovering Linda's bannings. Pure joy

K9! likes this.
  12. malf

malf Member

It must trump reflecting on your worldview.

tim likes this.
  13. tim

tim New

It's a close run thing, Malf. Honestly, I don't know how Arouet (Mr FLS) puts up with her...then again he is a lawyer

14. malf

malf Member

We'll we have some clear guidance now:
    The Mod+ tag has nothing to do with the content of any post, just who you are.

15. Craig Weiler

Craig Weiler Associate

That's correct. It's too difficult to judge by individual posts, so your entire posting history is taken into account. Once you've established who you are and how you treat controversial subjects the MOD+ may apply to you based on whether the community considers you dogmatic in your positions or not.

16. lighter_than_air

lighter_than_air New

If certain people can only post in the critical discussions section, then what is the point of mod+, if mod+ is just to keep those same people out of threads in other parts of the forum? I'm confused...

17. Craig Weiler

Craig Weiler Associate

They do post in other forums, but critical discussions is specifically theirs. MOD+ is so that people have the option of now allowing them on certain threads.

18. Arouet

Arouet Member

If it was about who is dogmatic in their approach it would be a different list.

It would actually probably be beneficial to have a serious discussion about what it really means to be dogmatic in one's position. I suspect that most of us are more dogmatic than we think ourselves to be, and that most others are less dogmatic than we think them to be.

To really do the discussion right, it would have to not take the actual positions into account. Dogmatism is about how one arrives at a position, not the actual position itself.

Brian_the_bard likes this.
  19. Craig Weiler

Craig Weiler Associate

Arguing dogmatism with dogmatic people? Good God, No. I have more important things to do.

K9! likes this.
  20. fls

fls Member

You are missing the point. The point is to use a derogatory term, not discuss whether the term is applied appropriately. Discussing whether the term is applied appropriately is something CDers would do. Craig is not a CDer.

Linda