Where are all the atheists

Johnny

New
This is the first site I have been to where it isn't overrun with atheists, Normally atheists are trying to shut down any topics regarding any hint of supernatural phenomena,

Where are they?

The mods tend to ban most new atheists, but even then there aren't all the many that seem to come here. Even among those who were banned, I can't recall any trying to shut topics down just because the subject is paranormal, especially given that the site is dedicated to discussing parapsychology and related topics.

Would seem strange to go to a forum dedicated to talking about paranormal topics and try and shut down threads for dealing with that topic. Haven't seen it here, but perhaps it might happen on other para-related forums. I can see it more on non-para focussed forums. I'm curious as to what the arguments you've seen used to try and shut down threads were.

The mods tend to ban most new atheists, but even then there aren't all the many that seem to come here. Even among those who were banned, I can't recall any trying to shut topics down just because the subject is paranormal, especially given that the site is dedicated to discussing parapsychology and related topics.

Would seem strange to go to a forum dedicated to talking about paranormal topics and try and shut down threads for dealing with that topic. Haven't seen it here, but perhaps it might happen on other para-related forums. I can see it more on non-para focussed forums. I'm curious as to what the arguments you've seen used to try and shut down threads were.

When I said shutting down, I meant debunking or trying to negate topics of paranormal phenomena.

But tell me, why do they get banned.

Most seem to get banned because they come barking out of the gates, apparently. Think something like Bill, but more belligerent.

Seems right. They are just spouting out their beliefs while leaving little room for other opinions. Of couse people wont tolerate that. Its like a apple user that joins a microsoft forum and propagates the newest osx while saying that windows sucks.

I think that as long as good conduct is held and people use valid arguments, they should be allowed to voice their opinions. I'm just surprised there isn't that many critics on this site, but then again, I do think there are some good arguments made by those who are Pro life after death.

I think that as long as good conduct is held and people use valid arguments, they should be allowed to voice their opinions. I'm just surprised there isn't that many critics on this site, but then again, I do think there are some good arguments made by those who are Pro life after death.

I bet several atheists here would take that offer gladly. Idk if anyone here can make a good argument for his or her beliefs, but everyone surely likes to discuss till they drop, so well, if you are searching for opinions...

When I said shutting down, I meant debunking or trying to negate topics of paranormal phenomena.

But tell me, why do they get banned.

Well, some people (myself for example) were drawn in by Alex's tagline "Skeptiko, where we explore controversial science with leading researchers, thinkers, and their critics." Unfortunately, despite continuing to utter it, Alex has become much less tolerant of criticism. New posters seem to be given very little chance before being banned.

True that some have been belligerent and some even deserved to be banned (imo). Belligerance by new skeptics tends to be an insta-ban here. The barrier for what is considered to be skeptical belligerence is quite low.

On the other hand, belligerence by proponents has been mostly tolerated and even encouraged for the most part (though there are a handful of belligerent proponents who managed to cross that very high line).

Johnny,

There are a few of us beating up on some paranormal topics, but we've been around long enough that everyone knows everyone else's opinions. I don't even bother with the intelligent design threads anymore, although I probably would if you started a new one, since you're new around here and all. Also, you can be sure I'll participate in a free will thread. Something about that subject . . .

Then there are all the conspiracy threads. Sheesh, some folks will disbelieve anything.

~~ Paul

We're all in the Fedora factory, having been sent by r/atheism. ALL HAIL LORD DAWKINS.

On a more serious note, my views seem to swing from cautiously optimistic agnostic to Rustin Chole esque atheism.

This is the first site I have been to where it isn't overrun with atheists, Normally atheists are trying to shut down any topics regarding any hint of supernatural phenomena,

Where are they?
It is all down to moderation! As you say, some atheists (I prefer the term materialists) seem to want to shut down discussions they don't agree with. Materialists are welcome here, but only if they behave properly!

David

Back