Whitley Strieber, MKUltra Flypaper |480|

Yes but ultimately this may be just that tubes are what sells right now.

For example, for a while there were skiis on sale with traces of graphene added, but by now graphene isn't the in-thing any more, so the use something else.

I mean digital stuff can play all sorts of tricks - for example it is possible to slow speech down without changing its pitch. The equipment (I presume) uses a DFT on the input, shifts the frequency in the frequency domain, then transforms it back and re-samples it to slow it down - cancelling the frequency change and leaving it just slower.

David

My first love and maybe only half-talent lol, was playing and performing music. It was the only thing I was decent at in school, so I dived into that world as a teen.

Valves are definitely superior in terms of sound and more importantly, FEEL. It FEELS different to play a tube amp versus solid state digital amps. There is no comparison :)

Ironically enough though (due to being skint and not being able to drive as a teen!), whenever I used digital modelling of amps via a pedal, you could clearly hear the distinctive frequencies of that digital noise; it was awful!

But if something feels good to play, then there is no question. You will play much better and thus sound better and look better if you are performing ;)

Ironically enough though (due to being skint and not being able to drive as a teen!), whenever I used digital modelling of amps via a pedal, you could clearly hear the distinctive frequencies of that digital noise; it was awful!
So you had something that tried to create the valve sound, back when you were a teenager - dare I ask how long ago that was? I just wonder if any such limitation need still exist nowadays.

I am just curious as to how it can be that an ancient valve amplifier can't be simulated down to a T. Nobody can ever tell me - they just say it is true!

David

Last edited:
So you had something that tried to create the valve sound, back when you were a teenager - dare I ask how long ago that was? I just wonder if any such limitation need still exist nowadays.

I am just curious as to how it can be that an ancient valve amplifier can't be simulated down to a T. Nobody can ever tell me - they just say it is true!

David
Haha, it wasn't too long ago David. Only about 20 years.

As to your curiosity well, things that are ancient, aren't necessarily obsolete ;)