Mod+ Why can't the "Consciousness Community" get their act together?

K9!

New
I was watching this video of a 2002 fundraising event for the John Mack Institute, and it makes you wonder, "What Happened?". There were all of these people together discussing how to bring about paradigm change and influence public policy to better reflect the POV of the Consciousness Community... but nothing seems to have happened.

I think some of the issues were in fact raised in the discussion at the event... such as the lack of interest in political activism, or even voting, shown by many members of that community. Lack of resources was also mentioned as an issue, but one guy there mentioned he gave a 6 figure donation to the cause so there was some money coming in. It just makes you wonder why things seem to have gone backwards since 2002.

It just makes you wonder why things seem to have gone backwards since 2002.
Doesn't make me wonder at all. In fact, it's part of the reason. They raised things to enough of a level that establishment interests took note. Those interests then moved, and are still moving, to squash it. Or at the least, marginalize it.

Doesn't make me wonder at all. In fact, it's part of the reason. They raised things to enough of a level that establishment interests took note. Those interests then moved, and are still moving, to squash it. Or at the least, marginalize it.
It certainly seems that way. Take for example the latest children's movie by Pixar, Inside Out. It's a story about a little girl and the "emotions" that live inside her brain that "make" her act in all sorts of irrational ways. Granted, I have not seen the full length film, but it sure seems to me that it's basically telling children that in your mind are "emotions" which are uncontrollable by you and force you to do their bidding. Extrapolate this out, and it sure seems like materialist indoctrination to me.

The worst part is, since most people aren't at all familiar with the fact that consciousness is even up for debate at all, they buy into the mainstream materialist explanation by default. So they would see nothing alarming about the content being put forward in this children's film.

I try to avoid ridiculous conspiracy theories, but it also seems that the more familiar you become with the philosophical debate on the origins of consciousness and the research, the more it seems that there really is an agenda being pushed here, and that is, as Alex puts it, we are biological robots. So go buy more stuff and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

It's kinda crazy how you start to see the messages everywhere. That or I'm literally losing it. I'm not sure which one I hope to be true. ;)

Last edited:
It certainly seems that way. Take for example the latest children's movie by Pixar, The Feels. It's a story about a little girl and the "emotions" that live inside her brain that "make" her act in all sorts of irrational ways. Granted, I have not seen the full length film, but it sure seems to me that it's basically telling children that in your mind are "emotions" which are uncontrollable by you and force you to do their bidding. Extrapolate this out, and it sure seems like materialist indoctrination to me.

Hint: Dacher Keltner

Hint: Dacher Keltner
Hmmm..other than the fact he seems to come at the subject of emotion from a physicalist perspective, his ideas are very positive, so I think that is a good thing. Again, I can't really rag on the film too much since I haven't actually seen the whole thing, but at first glance, it seems to be perpetuating a materialist perspective. Do you know something about this guy that isn't readily knowable by a Google search?

Hmmm..other than the fact he seems to come at the subject of emotion from a physicalist perspective, his ideas are very positive, so I think that is a good thing. Again, I can't really rag on the film too much since I haven't actually seen the whole thing, but at first glance, it seems to be perpetuating a materialist perspective. Do you know something about this guy that isn't readily knowable by a Google search?

It's a college psychology film for kids. The protagonist's mind is entirely run at "Headquarters" with the emotions in control... Where memories are also explicitly stored. The rest is abstract as hell. Think of it as a deterministic Osmosis Jones, with the main character looking increasingly as a puppet as it progresses... Or a covert commercial for psychiatric drugs, since the end is all about keeping emotions "in check".

It's a college psychology film for kids. The protagonist's mind is entirely run at "Headquarters" with the emotions in control... Where memories are also explicitly stored. The rest is abstract as hell. Think of it as a deterministic Osmosis Jones, with the main character looking increasingly as a puppet as it progresses... Or a covert commercial for psychiatric drugs, since the end is all about keeping emotions "in check".
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. Then again, it's of no surprise. We can look back on old cartoons now and go "what were they thinking?" But the fact is they've used cartoons as Propoganda against children and adults for a long time now.

Lighten up guys. It's a great movie. Love this line:

Joy: All these facts and opinions look the same. I can't tell them apart.

Bing Bong: Happens to me all the time. Don't worry about it.

I agree! :) loved the movie and admire the creative expression in a lot of Pixar movies.

The overall message was very positive: all of our emotions working together and expressed in the right time and way make life a beautiful thing... Growing up is tough, but love and forgiveness and family can triumph.

I can see how one might say they're promoting a mechanistic view of consciousness, but I think there's a lot more to the movie than that.

I can't wait to see how the PR department will deal with promoting the special Blu Ray edition...

"Psychiatrists are raving!"

"From the makers of Ritalin comes Inside Out!"

I agree! :) loved the movie and admire the creative expression in a lot of Pixar movies.

The overall message was very positive: all of our emotions working together and expressed in the right time and way make life a beautiful thing... Growing up is tough, but love and forgiveness and family can triumph.

I can see how one might say they're promoting a mechanistic view of consciousness, but I think there's a lot more to the movie than that.

The film gives immaterialists an out. The "emotions" in the brain all have their own personality and agency... What's all THAT about?

Last edited:
Aren't emotions things that come upon us? I mean we can train ourselves, open ourselves, and so on to different emotional experiences but they happen to us rather us willing them (and what a sad world it would be if love was a choice!).

As such I don't think having the emotions as separate spiritual entities in the mind is mechanistic, if anything I think it recalls the ancient Greek idea of gods coming upon a person when their emotions are inflamed?

On the OP, I'm beginning to see a glimmer of hope in the unity of the "consciousness community". Our Return of the Jedi moment might be upon us. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back