Why the Legal System in the UK is Wrong....About Almost Everything!

diverdown

I've recently just restarted formal education. But I was taught something that has made my head absolutely spin in the UK! I hope this isn't too far off this form's topics!

Whilst I won't disclose my area of studies as I value my privacy, it goes into various aspects of Law, which I am required to have a basic understanding of as I progress.

I have just found out that in England, the lowest court is the Magistrates court, where most criminal cases are heard. The gobsmacking revelation was that the people who actually 'Judge' you, literally have NO formal legal training.

They are made up of volunteers from the 'community', who go on a 21 hour course over a weekend, who then when they sit in court, have the power to strip you of your freedom and put you in prison for up to 6 months.

I cannot think of a single reason why that is considered a 'good idea'. Why are we not taught this in schools? Any members care to share their opinions?

Last edited:
They are made up of volunteers from the 'community', who go on a 21 hour course over a weekend, who then when they sit in court, have the power to strip you of your freedom and put you in prison for up to 6 months.

I cannot think of a single reason why that is considered a 'good idea'. Why are we not taught this in schools? Any members care to share their opinions?

My guess is there is a historical reason for it, something like: It's better to be judged by someone from your community than by the inbred dipsomaniac who lives in the big stone house at the top of the hill whose only qualification is his birth and who knows nothing of the life of ordinary people and who thinks deportation to Australia is an inferior punishment to hanging for crimes like stealing a loaf of bread to feed one's starving children.

The gobsmacking revelation was that the people who actually 'Judge' you, literally have NO formal legal training.

They are made up of volunteers from the 'community', who go on a 21 hour course over a weekend

I hate to be a one-upper, but in Texas I can be sent for Execution by lethal injection on the decision of 12 near-illiterate Grannies who get no legal training whatsoever.

Consider yourself lucky to be a loyal subject of Her Majesty the Queen. :)

https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/death_row/dr_scheduled_executions.html

I knew this about British magistrates, since I know somebody who is a magistrate in London, he has been a lifelong businessman, no legal background whatsoever.

Back