World Cup

Devane

New
Anyone watching? If so which team are you supporting?

Canada has an interesting situation with the World Cup. We are a wealthy, multicultural nation whose men's soccer team happens to suck hard. So every World Cup you see a ton of flags for the various nations in the tournament being displayed proudly. People here joke that Canada has 32 teams in the tournament: everyone here cheers for their background country. I'm of Italian descent so have always had Italy's back.

Last edited:
In the UK football is often regarded as our national sport, so watching it is almost compulsory, though of course not everyone is interested. So far I haven't watched any of the coverage. I may watch the game this evening (England v Italy) - at least at this stage the outcome isn't too important.

Being English, naturally I am supporting England, but I'm not over-optimistic about their chances. I plan to watch as many matches as I can (thank heavens for programme recorders!). I was thrilled by Holland's performance (5-1 and could easily have been 6-1 or 7-1) against Spain, where they made their opposition look like amateurs. Holland are in with a real chance and I'll be supporting them. So even if England get knocked out, which they probably will, hopefully I'll have someone to be rooting for.

Well I didn't expect Italy to beat England this time, I guess a bit of luck was on our side :)
Great match anyways from both teams, and that first goal was something unbelievable... :eek:

Well I didn't expect Italy to beat England this time, I guess a bit of luck was on our side :)
Great match anyways from both teams, and that first goal was something unbelievable... :eek:
Yeah it was a great match. That dummy pass by Pirlo on the first goal was poetry. England sometimes has to remember that there is more to the game than pace.

A world cup thread and nobody's mentioned the Holland - Spain game? Smithy??!! That RVP goal was sublime.

My mixed heritage means that I'm supporting England, and (as NZ didn't qualify) whoever is playing Australia :)

A world cup thread and nobody's mentioned the Holland - Spain game? Smithy??!! That RVP goal was sublime.

My mixed heritage means that I'm supporting England, and (as NZ didn't qualify) whoever is playing Australia :)
Michael did mention that game and yes that goal was incredible. Arsenal must have been drunk to let him go.

I've thought of supporting South Korea. No reason, but the country of my birth, South Africa didn't qualify either, and I do find the English team a bunch of overpaid nancy boys

I've thought of supporting South Korea. No reason, but the country of my birth, South Africa didn't qualify either, and I do find the English team a bunch of overpaid nancy boys
Not sure how I feel about the term "nancy boys". However, that "type" of player is to be found in every team, I think...

Well done, USA! I didn't expect you to beat Ghana 2-1, but you showed true grit and didn't give up when the chips were down. You still have a mountain to climb because there's Germany and Portugal to play, but I'm rooting for you in that group.

Speaking of Germany, they played a blinder and produced the second best performance (after Holland), with their 4-0 win over Portugal. That bodes well for the USA, I think; Portugal could be dispirited.

And Malf, I did see what you posted because I'm ignoring no one on this thread. Nice to see we agree about at least something...

As for England comprising overpaid nancy boys, RPK, overpaid they might be, but don't go calling them nancy boys to their faces if you don't want to spend some time in the ER with a broken nose! ;)

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about the term "nancy boys". However, that "type" of player is to be found in every team, I think...

I don't think "nancy boys" really means they're gay in this sort of context; I take it to mean that they're a bit soft and maybe posers. Wrong: they're well 'ard.

How about Costa Rica beating Uruguay 3-1? Good news for Italy and England.

I enjoyed the game: Costa Rica did very well, and yes, with luck, Uruguay will have had the stuffing knocked out of them. They were actually ranked higher than Italy at the start of the World cup, but they looked a shambles to me.

England might just have won, but one can never write Italy off. I've never liked their style, but credit where it's due.

IMO, the best goal of the competition so far is the one in Holland v Spain--see from 0:23:

An absolutely divine header taken on the run, lobbed over the head of the keeper.

The second best goal so far is probably the one starting at 1:46.

Back