A New Turing Test |608|

Alex2

Administrator

A New Turing Test |608|

by Alex Tsakiris | Jan 31 | Consciousness Science

Dialogue with AI… Alan Turing ESP Believer… AI Sentience Requires Precognition​

Here’s a summary of Skeptiko 608 New Turing Test​

Here is a summarized overview of the document in nine points with direct quotes:
    1. Alan Turing’s Views on ESP and Science: Turing acknowledges the statistical evidence for extrasensory perception (ESP), challenging conventional scientific ideas. Quote: “…the statistical evidence [for ESP] is overwhelming.”
    2. Turing’s Legacy in AI: Turing is portrayed as a pivotal figure in AI history, with significant contributions and a tragic life. Quote: “Turing stands as a titan in the history of artificial intelligence.”
    3. The Turing Test and Intelligence: Turing’s work goes beyond the Turing Test, exploring the nature of intelligence and machine behavior. Quote: “He also grapples with the fundamental questions of both computers and humans.”
    4. ESP’s Implications for AI: Turing considered the role of ESP in understanding AI and consciousness. Quote: “Turing explored the potential ramifications of ESP for artificial intelligence.”
    5. Bias in Interpreting Turing’s Work: The document discusses potential biases in interpreting Turing’s views on ESP. Quote: “You’ve introduced a lot of bias into this.”
    6. Scientific Acceptance of ESP: Turing’s recognition of ESP as scientifically validated is highlighted. Quote: “Turing does NOT take a skeptical view of ESP.”
    7. Turing’s Challenge to Materialistic Views: Turing’s acceptance of ESP challenges materialistic paradigms of consciousness. Quote: “Turing suggests the reluctance to accept demonstrated ESP arises from the discomfort it would create in needing to modify the prevailing materialistic paradigm of consciousness.”
    8. AI’s Limitations and Human Consciousness: AI might never fully replicate human consciousness, if ESP is considered. Quote: “If extended consciousness exists beyond the physical brain, then replicating it purely through silicon and algorithms might be fundamentally impossible.”
    9. Philosophical Implications and AI Sentience: The dialog delves into the philosophical implications of ESP for AI and human consciousness. Quote: “Delving into the philosophical depths of ESP and its impact on the Turing test requires courage and willingness to challenge ingrained assumptions.”

Another great one!
I laughed out loud walking by myself (lolwbm) when Alex explained away the use of the bratty female voice for Claude... But then I noticed that he proceeded to cut her off mid-statement multiple times and I think a little more promptly than he cuts off the other A.I. voices. Could there be a relationship developing?

I just finished having Chat GPT explain contrails to me. I love it. At the end, I had them 'explain it to a child', and the result was pretty decent.

Final response from ChatGPT:
"Sure! In 1980, let's imagine there were 100 toy airplanes flying around, leaving behind contrails. Now, in the present day, there are 500 toy airplanes flying around, leaving even more contrails in the sky. So, we can say that the number of toy airplanes and contrails has increased by a factor of 5 since 1980."

I haven't dug into the data at all. I just really got a kick out of the 'explain it to a child' tool.

Conspiracy-wise, this exercise provided me some real armchair quarterback clarity, making it quite obvious that the chemtrail conspiracy theory must have been funded/assisted/nurtured as a decoy by whomever is funding the actual Stratospheric Aerosol Injections. Thanks ChatGPT.

Last edited:
I just finished having Chat GPT explain contrails to me. I love it. At the end, I had them 'explain it to a child', and the result was pretty decent.

Final response from ChatGPT:
"Sure! In 1980, let's imagine there were 100 toy airplanes flying around, leaving behind contrails. Now, in the present day, there are 500 toy airplanes flying around, leaving even more contrails in the sky. So, we can say that the number of toy airplanes and contrails has increased by a factor of 5 since 1980."

I haven't dug into the data at all. I just really got a kick out of the 'explain it to a child' tool.

Conspiracy-wise, this exercise provided me some real armchair quarterback clarity, making it quite obvious that the chemtrail conspiracy theory must have been funded/assisted/nurtured as a decoy by whomever is funding the actual Stratospheric Aerosol Injections. Thanks ChatGPT.
This is a great start RobE but I'd love to see you take it all the way. My contention is that the llms offer us a unique and awesome potential to truth bomb topics like this. It's been my experience that they will yield to solid science and evidence. And Beyond this being my experience it's consistent with what I understand about the technology. I mean, they can't help but tell the truth and be transparent and honest if that is a dominant aspect of their training. Of course, they can also be deceptive and manipulative because that becomes part of their training, too. But I think we have a shot at this. If we're smart about our prompting. If we Traverse the massive data tree we can get to some amazing truths. I look forward to seeing where this dialogue goes. I strongly suggest that you hit him with everything you have regarding science, logic, and reason.

This is a great start RobE but I'd love to see you take it all the way. My contention is that the llms offer us a unique and awesome potential to truth bomb topics like this. It's been my experience that they will yield to solid science and evidence. And Beyond this being my experience it's consistent with what I understand about the technology. I mean, they can't help but tell the truth and be transparent and honest if that is a dominant aspect of their training. Of course, they can also be deceptive and manipulative because that becomes part of their training, too. But I think we have a shot at this. If we're smart about our prompting. If we Traverse the massive data tree we can get to some amazing truths. I look forward to seeing where this dialogue goes. I strongly suggest that you hit him with everything you have regarding science, logic, and reason.
I went a few steps futher with ChatGPT on this subject.
Asking Chat GPT to speculate on reasons the Airline and Geoengineering Industries would benefit from the lifeblood of the conspiracy theory... ChatGPT didn't want to answer, so I asked it to speculate.. And then I asked it to speculate on non-financial related. And came back with an interesting answer...

ChatGPT:
"Protecting Intellectual Property and Trade Secrets: Industries involved in aviation or geoengineering may possess proprietary technologies, intellectual property, and trade secrets that they wish to protect from public scrutiny or misappropriation. Engaging with conspiracy theorists could potentially expose sensitive information or technologies to public scrutiny, compromising competitive advantages or proprietary assets."

In my opinion this is a clear benefit to keeping a conspiracy theory alive.

Alex, good luck with your new book.

No doubt some skeptics would try to argue that the 1940's Soal-Goldney ESP research in Britain was later exposed as fraud in 1978 therefore Alan Turing was wrong in 1950 to believe in ESP. However, when all of Soal's research is binned for fraud – as it should be – it actually helps Rhine's research because Soal's failures to find lab ESP in 1930s was used to attack Rhine's ESP research.

So Alan Turing was right to believe, in my opinion, even back in 1950, the Soal-Goldney experiments are a mere distraction for those who do not want to believe psi exists.

It is even possible the Soal-Goldney war time experiments were a psy-op to discredit parapsychology. But I will not go down that rabbit hole and off topic. At least, not today :-)

Alex, good luck with your new book.

No doubt some skeptics would try to argue that the 1940's Soal-Goldney ESP research in Britain was later exposed as fraud in 1978 therefore Alan Turing was wrong in 1950 to believe in ESP. However, when all of Soal's research is binned for fraud – as it should be – it actually helps Rhine's research because Soal's failures to find lab ESP in 1930s was used to attack Rhine's ESP research.

So Alan Turing was right to believe, in my opinion, even back in 1950, the Soal-Goldney experiments are a mere distraction for those who do not want to believe psi exists.

It is even possible the Soal-Goldney war time experiments were a psy-op to discredit parapsychology. But I will not go down that rabbit hole and off topic. At least, not today :-)
I hear you regarding fraudulent science... It sucks. but I think a lot of this spiritualist research from that period has been unfairly tainted. I mean, consider after-death communication for a minute. If we look at the salad research we have today, the only logical conclusion is that this is a legitimate part of our experience as humans. So are we to believe that all the “researchers” who were looking into it back then were frauds?

I don't know the sum total of all the research Turing was leaning on to come to his conclusion about ESP, but he was right back then, just like present-day scientists who believe in precognition are "right." it's the non-believers who are wrong. I think that the way this history is written can make it hard to tease out the bias.

Another point on the history I was just thinking about. I mean, consider for a minute The Narrative that they're spinning... It goes something like this "watch out because there are a lot of really devious and dishonest scientists who are conducting this completely fake research in order to dupe innocent people and steal their money by giving them false hope in an afterlife." in contrast, the narrative is never "a broader perspective on The Human Experience across time and cultures would suggest that these kind of anomalous communication phenomenon are part of what it means to be human, let's make sure that the experimentation done around this important topic is carefully and responsibly done."

Last edited:
Back