Consciousness Is Not Mysterious - It’s just the brain describing itself—to itself.

Maybe you are right. It hadn't occurred to me before that that was even a possibility. Though I recall once describing how my routine everyday thoughts occur, and someone else responded that it sounded a bit like what happened to them during mediumship. (My apologies if I misquoted or misinterpreted whoever it was that may have said something like that, if I muddled it up).

I really hadn't considered that mundane everyday experience may differ so greatly from one person to the next. But it does seem the only way, other than accusations of sheer foolishness, to explain some of the ideas expressed by others. You've got me wondering now...
My friend is psychic, but even among psychics there are many different modes of perception. She considers herself an "empath" meaning she can literally feel other people's emotions, even more strongly than just perceiving non-local situations (clairvoyance, remote viewing), which she also experiences. Almost all of her most accurate and uncanny perceptions occurred over friendly text-chat via Skype, where there was absolutely no visual or audible feedback, only typing (and I could review the session after the fact). The most stunning (to me) were times where she instantaeously felt my emotions, situations, or feelings completely unrelated to our Skype conversation. I will give just a few examples:

1. While we were text-chatting, I glanced at my inbox and saw an Email from an ex-girlfriend, someone who I have always remained friends with, but had not heard from in a long time. My psychic friend immediately typed "who is xxxxxxx ??" (giving my ex-girlfriend's full name, which I always called her by, rather than a nick name). I was really surprised, and typed "why?" to which she responded that she immeidately felt my affection for her and that we used to have a relationship and were now just friends. All from a fleeting feeling I had glancing at my inbox without even reading the message.

2. Another time while chatting, I listened to a voicemail message (without telling her), and it was from my mother who was ill, in an assisted living facility (she died months later), and asking me if I could be with her at the facility during an event. I knew I couldn't make it becuase I would be out of town for work, and I suddenly felt really sad. Completely out of context to the chat, my friend typed "what's wrong?? you're really sad, I can feel my chest tightening....". She instantly detected my sadness, in real-time.

3. Another time during a chat she suddenly said "Who is Paul?" and went on to describe an doctor, who was considering changing jobs, relocated from NYC, and who was into fitness. My friend Paul immediately came to mind. He is a doctor who used to live in NYC, moved to NJ, and is really into fitness and was considering taking on a new job with a different practice. Right after we got finished our chat, I called my wife to ask her something and she informed me that (during the chat) she was on the phone talking to Paul.

Good luck recreating these situations in the lab, let alone detecting the various modes of anomoulous perception. And good luck attributing all of this to the brain alone.

Cheers,
Bill

But until they have that eureka moment of discovering their own awareness
it is hopeless to discuss with them about subjective consciousness because they dont know what that actually means
They dont and cannot know what you are talking about

For them consciousness is an objective process that they think about
They are so embedded in the objective thinking process that they are unaware of their own conscious awareness
They are not conscious of being conscious; or aware of being aware
So you think that I, for example, might not be aware of my own awareness? I realize that I am aware. Right now I am aware of thinking what I want to type and of typing it. I have had experiences of being aware but not of anything in particular.

What do you think I'm missing?

~~ Paul

Last edited:
So you think that I, for example, might not be aware of my own awareness? I realize that I am aware. Right now I am aware of thinking what I want to type and of type it. I have had experiences of being aware but not of anything in particular.

What do you think I'm missing?

~~ Paul

Hello Paul
My comment was not referring to you
If you say you are consciously aware I believe you

My friend is psychic, but even among psychics there are many different modes of perception. She considers herself an "empath" meaning she can literally feel other people's emotions, even more strongly than just perceiving non-local situations (clairvoyance, remote viewing), which she also experiences. Almost all of her most accurate and uncanny perceptions occurred over friendly text-chat via Skype, where there was absolutely no visual or audible feedback, only typing (and I could review the session after the fact). The most stunning (to me) were times where she instantaeously felt my emotions, situations, or feelings completely unrelated to our Skype conversation. I will give just a few examples:

1. While we were text-chatting, I glanced at my inbox and saw an Email from an ex-girlfriend, someone who I have always remained friends with, but had not heard from in a long time. My psychic friend immediately typed "who is xxxxxxx ??" (giving my ex-girlfriend's full name, which I always called her by, rather than a nick name). I was really surprised, and typed "why?" to which she responded that she immeidately felt my affection for her and that we used to have a relationship and were now just friends. All from a fleeting feeling I had glancing at my inbox without even reading the message.

2. Another time while chatting, I listened to a voicemail message (without telling her), and it was from my mother who was ill, in an assisted living facility (she died months later), and asking me if I could be with her at the facility during an event. I knew I couldn't make it becuase I would be out of town for work, and I suddenly felt really sad. Completely out of context to the chat, my friend typed "what's wrong?? you're really sad, I can feel my chest tightening....". She instantly detected my sadness, in real-time.

3. Another time during a chat she suddenly said "Who is Paul?" and went on to describe an doctor, who was considering changing jobs, relocated from NYC, and who was into fitness. My friend Paul immediately came to mind. He is a doctor who used to live in NYC, moved to NJ, and is really into fitness and was considering taking on a new job with a different practice. Right after we got finished our chat, I called my wife to ask her something and she informed me that (during the chat) she was on the phone talking to Paul.

Good luck recreating these situations in the lab, let alone detecting the various modes of anomoulous perception. And good luck attributing all of this to the brain alone.

Cheers,
Bill

Fascinating accounts
I have a degree of this emotional empathic capacity myself

I do think it can be studied in a lab

Cheers,
Bill
Do you use iCloud?

My friend is psychic, but even among psychics there are many different modes of perception. She considers herself an "empath" meaning she can literally feel other people's emotions, even more strongly than just perceiving non-local situations (clairvoyance, remote viewing), which she also experiences. Almost all of her most accurate and uncanny perceptions occurred over friendly text-chat via Skype, where there was absolutely no visual or audible feedback, only typing (and I could review the session after the fact). The most stunning (to me) were times where she instantaeously felt my emotions, situations, or feelings completely unrelated to our Skype conversation.
I have a similar friend, lo and behold she's female. It's seems much more of a ladie's thing.
And similarly it happens over a skype chat much easily than in other situations. Sometimes I just say "hi" and then wait her to tell me what she "catches from the ether" :)
When it's done like this it may or may not work because it's less spontaneous. When it is, e.g. when she tells she's picking up something, she's kind of scary. If hadn't known her for a long time I'd be creeped out by somebody who can kind rummage in my thoughts... and maybe there are many more who can, but they simply don't tell you.

To be honest I don't think it's a "super power" I'd like to have that much, she feels pretty bad when she's around sick people, in hospitals and crowded places can become overwhelming...

I have a similar friend, lo and behold she's female. It's seems much more of a ladie's thing.
And similarly it happens over a skype chat much easily than in other situations. Sometimes I just say "hi" and then wait her to tell me what she "catches from the ether" :)
When it's done like this it may or may not work because it's less spontaneous. When it is, e.g. when she tells she's picking up something, she's kind of scary. If hadn't known her for a long time I'd be creeped out by somebody who can kind rummage in my thoughts... and maybe there are many more who can, but they simply don't tell you.

To be honest I don't think it's a "super power" I'd like to have that much, she feels pretty bad when she's around sick people, in hospitals and crowded places can become overwhelming...

Yes, that seems like something that is totally interesting as long as you dont experience it yourself. Though it is kinda hard to grasp the severance and validity of it for someone like me who does not consciously experience things like that. If i were to suddenly get that ability though i propably wouldnt last too long after the initial phase of interest. Being hyper-emotional while having this ability propably kills you from the inside.

Funny, my friend said she sometimes needs a drink after a trip to a crowded supermarket, depending on what she picked up.

Cheers,
Bill

Back