Coronavirus Pandemic

Because of my work, I am aware of hospital utilization and the diagnoses involved. I see lots of beds utilized for back logged elective surgeries. I see people with chronic and emergent conditions that put off care last year due to covid concerns or covid restrictions on access, ending up in the hospital this year. I see very very few actual admissions for reason of covid infection. I do hear the same apocryphal stories that you relayed. I don't know what to say. It was explained to me at a conference (virtual, of course) that there are covid patients taking up beds, but I don't see them because they are Medicaid patients; indigent people and poor elderly in nursing homes that have spent through their Medicare long term care limits. Maybe so. If true, it's an important distinction to note, but no one outside the industry does. Not doing so furthers the big lie that we are all equally at risk. We're not. Once again, a normal healthy child to 55 year old has very little to fear from covid.

To counter anecdote with anecdote, my wife and I are not vaxxed. We go about our business, work out at the gym, eat out, etc and don't wear masks or any of that. We have lived in a supposedly high risk zip code in the SW since early May. We have not been sick nor known anyone who is here. Back East, where we moved from in May, I knew a few people that either contracted covid or had someone living in their house who did. In all instances, all household members were fine. At worst some bad cold/flu symptoms for a few days and that was it. My boss' son got it. He's 13. He was down and out for a few days and then back at it. Neither my boss, his wife or his daughter got sick even though they were all quarantined with the son for 14 days. Try doing that with a real wicked virus like Ebola or something like TB or even influenza A or B. ……..like I said, covid is very hinky.

I appreciate your point about entrenched sides. I reject that mentality. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Ideologies are a poor substitute for thinking and understanding situations.

A guy I work with came down with COVID on August 8th and has been in the hospital for about 3 weeks now and it is not looking good. He might not make it. We thought he was getting better at the end of last week, but when I checked on him yesterday his wife responded that he's on a ventilator now. I've been doing his job for the last few weeks. He's the only person I know who has been seriously ill with it. He's in his mid 50's and overweight and I think he's probably getting crappy treatment at the hospital. They wake him up every hour or two at night... of course no Ivermectin or anything that could help. He said he's lost 30 lbs in the last 2 weeks. Plenty of other people at work have had it, but didn't have a hard time with it.

A guy I work with came down with COVID on August 8th and has been in the hospital for about 3 weeks now and it is not looking good. He might not make it. We thought he was getting better at the end of last week, but when I checked on him yesterday his wife responded that he's on a ventilator now. I've been doing his job for the last few weeks. He's the only person I know who has been seriously ill with it. He's in his mid 50's and overweight and I think he's probably getting crappy treatment at the hospital. They wake him up every hour or two at night... of course no Ivermectin or anything that could help. He said he's lost 30 lbs in the last 2 weeks. Plenty of other people at work have had it, but didn't have a hard time with it.
Vaccinated?

Wait, of everything posted in this thread over the past month you picked this post to call bullshit and not "useful" to this conversation? Hilarious.

I'm glad I could make you laugh. :)

Seriously though... what was the actionable intelligence provided by this article?

I'm glad I could make you laugh. :)

Seriously though... what was the actionable intelligence provided by this article?
Define "actionable intelligence" for me before we get started because as far as I can tell this entire thread is woefully lacking on that criteria. All I see in here is a lot of people drawing strong conclusions without much evidence let alone "actionable intelligence".

Define "actionable intelligence" for me before we get started because as far as I can tell this entire thread is woefully lacking on that criteria. All I see in here is a lot of people drawing strong conclusions without much evidence let alone "actionable intelligence".

How do you conduct yourself differently or make different choices based upon anything presented in that article?

How do you conduct yourself differently or make different choices based upon anything presented in that article?
I try as best as I can to mitigate my own bias toward narrative fitting; the same challenge we all have if we're being honest. The article resonated with me in this vein. Nothing more really; it just felt relevant at the time with how this thread had evolved (and more broadly this community).

Yes, I know the source is a bit 'iffy'. But I'm interested in what the content is. The context seems to be around contact tracing in Oz (which I do think is getting to be quite wierd).

I wonder if she was just trolling? Because I've never heard of that phrase being used by officials for something. Surely she can't be ignorant of what using that phrase will do to social media lol?

What's others take on this?

https://web.archive.org/web/2021090.../2021/09/09/teenage-boys-risk-vaccines-covid/

Teenage boys are six times more likely to suffer from heart problems from the vaccine than be hospitalised from Covid-19, a major study has found

Children who face the highest risk of a “cardiac adverse event” are boys aged between 12 and 15 following two doses of a vaccine, according to new research from America.

Researchers found that the risk of heart complications for boys aged 12-15 following the vaccine was 162.2 per million, which was the highest out of all the groups they looked at.

The second highest rate was among boys aged 16-17 (94.0 per million) followed by girls aged 16-17 (13.4 per million) and girls aged 12-15 (13.0 per million).

Meanwhile, the risk of a healthy boy needing hospital treatment owing to Covid-19 in the next 120 days is 26.7 per million. This means the risk they face from heart complications is 6.1 times higher than that of hospitalisation.

As always with the COVID stuff, it's hard to really know what is going on and how to verify the science behind articles such as these without being a scientist yourself (generally), but this is an interesting data point.

Yes, I know the source is a bit 'iffy'. But I'm interested in what the content is. The context seems to be around contact tracing in Oz (which I do think is getting to be quite wierd).

I wonder if she was just trolling? Because I've never heard of that phrase being used by officials for something. Surely she can't be ignorant of what using that phrase will do to social media lol?

What's others take on this?

Crikey!

https://web.archive.org/web/2021090.../2021/09/09/teenage-boys-risk-vaccines-covid/

As always with the COVID stuff, it's hard to really know what is going on and how to verify the science behind articles such as these without being a scientist yourself (generally), but this is an interesting data point.
Yes, but The Telegraph did not include a link to the study, which could have been very easily done.
If they would have it would have shown that this study is on a preprint server which means:
They mention this vaguely, and after they reported the conclusions.
The study was again based on the VAERS database.
Still, as you say, an important datapoint.

The study compares the incidence of the adverse effects to that of COVID-19, it does not say anything about the possible benefits of having more people vaccinated.

It is definitely something that policy makers should take into account, but it is not the only datapoint.

Yes, but The Telegraph did not include a link to the study, which could have been very easily done.
If they would have it would have shown that this study is on a preprint server which means:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/what-unrefereed-preprint
They mention this vaguely, and after they reported the conclusions.
The study was again based on the VAERS database.
Still, as you say, an important datapoint.

They probably didn't include that as prominently because in this day and age of shoddy journalism, created by themselves (media), they've only gone and incentivised juicy headlines in some zero sum game, in a race to the bottom.

Still, I can't help but wonder if we are beginning to see that this incredible social pressure to vaccinate everyone and their dog is maybe not such a good idea, especially in light of Biden's mandate, which I personally feel is a step too far. And I think many others who are vaccinated and who have gone along with the programme so to speak, feel the same way too. It's basically what the 'conspiracy theorists' predicted would happen eventually, and were given lots of stick for it.

It's quite a thing for a democratic and free western country to mandate something on the scale such as this. Even if you agree with the mandate, I think it basically sets a precedent for other things in the future that may not be so in ones favour. And even as a British citizen, I know that what happens in the USA, tends to land on our shores eventually too.

Like 90% of everybody in his situation.

I talked to our sales manager yesterday. As you can imagine he has a lot of contacts in our industry and is continually talking to people. He said our fellow employee who might not make it will be the third person in our industry that he knows of to die from COVID and one of the three was fully vaccinated.

The CDC recently said you’re 11x more likely to die if unvaccinated however they don’t track breakthrough cases. They also count deaths within 2 weeks of the jab as unvaccinated.

It appears the jab may offer some benefit to older folks for 6-8 months but risks are not fully known.

Here in the U.S. we have a lot of ancestors who risked their lives or gave their lives because they believed the risk and sacrifice was worth it to protect personal liberty and limited government. Anyone who refuses the vaccine and mandates and lockdowns is doing the same - albeit with much lower risk… bullets and bayonets are a lot more terrifying than a bad cold with something like a 99.9% survival rate for most groups.

I talked to our sales manager yesterday. As you can imagine he has a lot of contacts in our industry and is continually talking to people. He said our fellow employee who might not make it will be the third person in our industry that he knows of to die from COVID and one of the three was fully vaccinated.

The CDC recently said you’re 11x more likely to die if unvaccinated however they don’t track breakthrough cases. They also count deaths within 2 weeks of the jab as unvaccinated.

It appears the jab may offer some benefit to older folks for 6-8 months but risks are not fully known.

Here in the U.S. we have a lot of ancestors who risked their lives or gave their lives because they believed the risk and sacrifice was worth it to protect personal liberty and limited government. Anyone who refuses the vaccine and mandates and lockdowns is doing the same - albeit with much lower risk… bullets and bayonets are a lot more terrifying than a bad cold with something like a 99.9% survival rate for most groups.

All that does not change the fact that more than 90% of the people who get seriously ill, get hospitalized, or lose their live, are not vaccinated.
What more do you need to know

Back