DJ Kadagian, NDE Deep Dive |549|

Pretty common fare in the hedge fund and private equity worlds. Its a pretty standard due diligence item for allocators to understand how much of the manager's own capital is invested alongside clients.

Still, I get it. Not what you typically get from the investment advisor down the street. :)
I'm a bit dismayed by the way this thread topic seems to be veering from spirituality to monetary materialism even though the two should be mutually repulsive. Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters. You cannot serve God and riches." (Matthew 6:24 Luke 6:13.) Certainly Jesus said, "I am come that ye may have life and have it abundantly." (John 10:10) But I doubt He ever wanted us to aspire to great wealth at the expense of others such as the stock market capriciously offers. A hard earned modest fortune can be lost far to easily there by a simple God fearing man praying for sufficiency in his retirement.

I'm a bit dismayed by the way this thread topic seems to be veering from spirituality to monetary materialism even though the two should be mutually repulsive. Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters. You cannot serve God and riches." (Matthew 6:24 Luke 6:13.) Certainly Jesus said, "I am come that ye may have life and have it abundantly." (John 10:10) But I doubt He ever wanted us to aspire to great wealth at the expense of others such as the stock market capriciously offers. A hard earned modest fortune can be lost far to easily there by a simple God fearing man praying for sufficiency in his retirement.
The investment management world is fundamentally no different from any other for-profit, commercial enterprise. I've worked in the industry for 30+ years. Seen plenty of bad actors but they are a small minority.

A fair critique of the industry is that it does, disproportionately, attract those motivated by wealth.

As to your example of a "hard earned modest fortune", let's unpack that. From where did this fortune arise? I'm sure competitive forces were at play during the creation of this modest fortune; there were winners and losers with your God fearing man being on the winning side in all likelihood. (Perhaps the hypothetical company he honorably served competed with another and won where his counterpart did not accumulate a "modest fortune").

And as has been proven time and time again, the best way to grow a retirement income stream is through investments in the stock market. Company savings plans (401(k), 403(b), and 457) have grown exponentially over the past 20 years allowing millions of middle class men and women to grow their savings sufficiently to fund retirement. Most people working in the industry providing these retirement plan accounts and services, are going good. They are helping people.

The stock market isn't evil in and of itself. Just like anything else in life, people can (and do) corrupt things.

From where did this fortune arise? I'm sure competitive forces were at play during the creation of this modest fortune; there were winners and losers with your God fearing man being on the winning side in all likelihood. (Perhaps the hypothetical company he honorably served competed with another and won where his counterpart did not accumulate a "modest fortune").
Well, actually this man is myself. I painstakingly made my modest fortune thanks to thrift and tirelessly working as a carpenter. A daytime company construction carpenter and weekend/evening solitary house builder. Although I never went bankrupt I was not always a winner. I went through building a bungalow once doing 90% of the work and sold it just breaking even on the material. Later I bought a run down dairy farm and spent eight years there fixing it all back up while keeping up with the milking and feeding and harvesting chores. I cashed out of that in 1996 with well under a million. That was the sum/total of my modest fortune. I was then persuaded into mutual funds but was soon horrified by the management fees gobbling up most of any market gains. with God's help I escaped that in 2001 with what I had started with five years earlier. I'm invested in private mortgages now at rates averaging less than 6% but barring real estate collapse hey are secure. Meanwhile my Canadian pensions kicked in as well. I thank God every day for sufficiency and spend these retirement days vegetable gardening. Most years I have some extra for our towns less fortunate.

Last edited:
Pretty common fare in the hedge fund and private equity worlds. Its a pretty standard due diligence item for allocators to understand how much of the manager's own capital is invested alongside clients.

Still, I get it. Not what you typically get from the investment advisor down the street. :)
I have not heard of a one-man shop " hedge fund manager" breaking open the books on his personal trading account... and having it show 40% returns year in and year out

I have not heard of a one-man shop " hedge fund manager" breaking open the books on his personal trading account... and having it show 40% returns year in and year out
Bernie Madoff used to show historical returns too.

He never showed cash flows though.

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent or isn't legit, but showing a "personal trading account" hardly qualifies as serious due diligence.

Let's get back to the Big Questions. Too much talk about money I'll never have gives me Flying Lizard Syndrome.

Ok, fine, if nobody else is gonna bring it up I will.

Alex dropped a South Park reference Just after 42:00ish
"You know, it reminds me of that south park episode. If anyone’s ever seen it, you know, the agnostic, it it’s this militant agnostic, foster dad and Kenny somehow minds up. And he goes over to the refrigerator goes, this refrigerator You will only drink agnostic soda. That means Dr. Pepper or diet Dr. Pepper. We do not know the flavor of Dr. Pepper. Is it a root beer? Is it a Cola? No one knows it. Can’t be known. It’s hilarious how much he said, do you know? And so Gregory Sushant to me goes through this tortured explanation of why he has to remain agnostic about near-death experience."

I'll see that episode, Alex. And I'll raise your this one (two-parter actually)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_God_Go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_God_Go_XII
Combination of that reference and pulling in Jack from the Peter Breggin post (I don't know if that's bad manners, but trying it.), And I had to finally bring these episodes up.
Basically,
In these episodes the guys at South Park annihilate the debate on what happens when Atheists finally get rid of all the pesky religions. Spoiler alert: They just make Atheism the religion.
I'll leave my opinion out of this one.

(Pulled from Peter Breggin Ep.547 post)
Thinking about Atheists rolling their eyes at his takes on religion and honestly, sometimes he loses me there, but I think he's on to something specifically about the role of religion as a sociological necessity for the viral distribution of shared morality among the body of a group of people. For good or for ill, without a coherent understanding of a moral structure, a society definitively breaks down.

Last edited:
Were it not for many incidents during my 73 years of life beyond natural explanation I would have opted for the convenience of atheism myself. But faith during times of uncertainty far too often yielded protection and/or providence in my past. Within us is Consciousness, something quite apart from the flesh and blood of our bodies, without it we can neither reason nor create. It is, "The director of the body," in the words of near death researcher Dr. Pim Van Lommel. I don't think it matters much what religion a person adheres to. It is enough to know we are each a part of and belong to a greater Consciousness. Take a look outdoors. See all of creation that is enjoying new life now in spring. It all works together in amazing and ever adjusted balance. I have been plagued by Japanese Beetles in my garden in years past and I prayed urgently to the Creator for a remedy. The last couple of years flocks of Starlings, a bird that has a liking for the beetles and the larva presently getting ready to emerge from the ground surface as adults are being collected and eaten by the adept birds. I noticed quite a reduction in their numbers already last year.
It is said the Creator's chief creatures are Angels and men. I'm convinced that good men who believe in and communicate with the Creator as in prayer will be heard. At the present time there is much uncertainty and fear among men. Jesus instructs us to, "Have faith and not fear." (Luke 8:50) and, "Do not let your hearts be troubled."John14:1)
Even an atheist might agree although maybe not fully understand why good must eventually triumph over evil. Suffice it to say, good represents life. Something we all prefer.

Were it not for many incidents during my 73 years of life beyond natural explanation I would have opted for the convenience of atheism myself. But faith during times of uncertainty far too often yielded protection and/or providence in my past. Within us is Consciousness, something quite apart from the flesh and blood of our bodies, without it we can neither reason nor create. It is, "The director of the body," in the words of near death researcher Dr. Pim Van Lommel. I don't think it matters much what religion a person adheres to. It is enough to know we are each a part of and belong to a greater Consciousness. Take a look outdoors. See all of creation that is enjoying new life now in spring. It all works together in amazing and ever adjusted balance. I have been plagued by Japanese Beetles in my garden in years past and I prayed urgently to the Creator for a remedy. The last couple of years flocks of Starlings, a bird that has a liking for the beetles and the larva presently getting ready to emerge from the ground surface as adults are being collected and eaten by the adept birds. I noticed quite a reduction in their numbers already last year.
It is said the Creator's chief creatures are Angels and men. I'm convinced that good men who believe in and communicate with the Creator as in prayer will be heard. At the present time there is much uncertainty and fear among men. Jesus instructs us to, "Have faith and not fear." (Luke 8:50) and, "Do not let your hearts be troubled."John14:1)
Even an atheist might agree although maybe not fully understand why good must eventually triumph over evil. Suffice it to say, good represents life. Something we all prefer.

As I continue on this trek, I am a little confused by the suggestion of "faith" because even though I've always articulated as having faith myself, I think I have to edit that out now. It's not FAITH that has me recognizing that we live in an extended universe. Faith asks the question "Faith in what?" and then you have to articulate some kind of definitive structure or a series of ideas, mythologies, and the like that connect with it. Maybe you can say, "I have faith in something more" and that would be fine, but most people don't mean that when they mean faith. They usually mean something more tangible.
I think I have the experience to know something is beyond. I have the evidence to recognize. I am not confused or dissuaded by the dramas of the world out there meant to break us through emotional turmoil. If we are genuinely clear and free from those dramas- this ideology, that ideology, those series of mythic presences, etc... then faith doesn't really enter into it. We recognize the hallucinations of drama designed to keep us in conflict all around us.
At least, that's where I've come to, for now.

Ok, fine, if nobody else is gonna bring it up I will.

Alex dropped a South Park reference Just after 42:00ish
"You know, it reminds me of that south park episode. If anyone’s ever seen it, you know, the agnostic, it it’s this militant agnostic, foster dad and Kenny somehow minds up. And he goes over to the refrigerator goes, this refrigerator You will only drink agnostic soda. That means Dr. Pepper or diet Dr. Pepper. We do not know the flavor of Dr. Pepper. Is it a root beer? Is it a Cola? No one knows it. Can’t be known. It’s hilarious how much he said, do you know? And so Gregory Sushant to me goes through this tortured explanation of why he has to remain agnostic about near-death experience."

I'll see that episode, Alex. And I'll raise your this one (two-parter actually)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_God_Go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_God_Go_XII
Combination of that reference and pulling in Jack from the Peter Breggin post (I don't know if that's bad manners, but trying it.), And I had to finally bring these episodes up.
Basically,
In these episodes the guys at South Park annihilate the debate on what happens when Atheists finally get rid of all the pesky religions. Spoiler alert: They just make Atheism the religion.
I'll leave my opinion out of this one.

(Pulled from Peter Breggin Ep.547 post)

haha... thx. gotta rewatch.

And I totally get the potentially positive effects of Christianity / religion in terms of communicating the moral imperative/suggestion :) stuff... but that always seems directed at someone else. is in, " I don't need to be led by the nose with a false narrative, but all those other dumbasses to do"

haha... thx. gotta rewatch.

And I totally get the potentially positive effects of Christianity / religion in terms of communicating the moral imperative/suggestion :) stuff... but that always seems directed at someone else. is in, " I don't need to be led by the nose with a false narrative, but all those other dumbasses to do"

I get ya man. But on the macro level, once you get rid of something, a power vacuum forms, and something else will take its place. That unfortunately seems to be wokeness, or scientism these days....

I think a case can be made for religion as a fundamental structure that serves as the glue for a culture to survive and live in harmony.

I think a case can be made for religion as a fundamental structure that serves as the glue for a culture to survive and live in harmony.
Is religion the right term? Feels like its a subset under a potentially broader umbrella. Ethos, system of morality, etc. Something broader. Or maybe I'm just being pedantic. ;)

I definitely see what you're saying and view it similarly.

Is religion the right term? Feels like its a subset under a potentially broader umbrella. Ethos, system of morality, etc. Something broader. Or maybe I'm just being pedantic. ;)

I definitely see what you're saying and view it similarly.

Although it has negative connotations, I've seen it reframed in a less "fundamentalist" or "strict" way that makes it appealing to moderates/basically most people, in the context of being the glue of societies. Most people don't realise that the west is quite christian in it's beliefs, even though they may not be religious :) (I'm not particularly religious and dislike dogmatic systems of belief in general, but can see the utility in having a broad belief in a sort of christianity)

Really, most people just want to belong to something. That feeling of connection is one of our strongest joys in life, and a source of mystery, so taking it away via excessive demonisation of christianity seems to have been a mistake in hindsight.

Though, if it is true that aliens have created our religions, then all bets are off the table!

Although it has negative connotations, I've seen it reframed in a less "fundamentalist" or "strict" way that makes it appealing to moderates/basically most people, in the context of being the glue of societies. Most people don't realise that the west is quite christian in it's beliefs, even though they may not be religious :) (I'm not particularly religious and dislike dogmatic systems of belief in general, but can see the utility in having a broad belief in a sort of christianity)

Really, most people just want to belong to something. That feeling of connection is one of our strongest joys in life, and a source of mystery, so taking it away via excessive demonisation of christianity seems to have been a mistake in hindsight.

Though, if it is true that aliens have created our religions, then all bets are off the table!
I have a theory that the rampant Vocal Fry speaking cadence that boomed through the US in the 90’s , 00’s, and exists still to this day - came directly from Bill Clinton. That’s an aspect of religion minus the supernatural deity. Humans just building social structure around traits of contemporary leaders.

For modern example of Vocal Fry take any 90’s clip of Bill Clinton speaking and compare to the recent Christine Blasey Ford on trial at the election of A recent Supreme Court Judge K-something…. Shit I remembered her name easilyer and she was just the fake witness..case and point

Last edited:
Actually it would not have been a mistake were it not for how it often yields results for individuals. The instructions given to us by Jesus through the Gospels, the awareness we may have access to the ear of our Creator through prayer give credence to these words: "Anything you ask of the Father in my name, that I will do." -Jesus. Try it next time you have a problem. Remember as you pray that you are an individual of His creation asking for something. You need not belong to a church for your concerns to matter to that Great Spirit.

Actually it would not have been a mistake were it not for how it often yields results for individuals. The instructions given to us by Jesus through the Gospels, the awareness we may have access to the ear of our Creator through prayer give credence to these words: "Anything you ask of the Father in my name, that I will do." -Jesus. Try it next time you have a problem. Remember as you pray that you are an individual of His creation asking for something. You need not belong to a church for your concerns to matter to that Great Spirit.
Garry, plenty of Christians must have prayed for help like that because they had terminal cancer, or because one of their loved ones were seriously ill, and yet the person died.

I believe there is some evidence that prayer in a general sense works in a statistical sense, but it most certainly isn't a case of "Ask and ye shall receive, knock and the door shall be opened to you!

We need to face the actual evidence.

David

Garry, plenty of Christians must have prayed for help like that because they had terminal cancer, or because one of their loved ones were seriously ill, and yet the person died.

I believe there is some evidence that prayer in a general sense works in a statistical sense, but it most certainly isn't a case of "Ask and ye shall receive, knock and the door shall be opened to you!

We need to face the actual evidence.

David
If you pray with a feeling of lack or neediness, it's your energy that drives it. Most people do not pray successfully. Base emotions keep manifestation from happening.
You have to be the vehicle. Channel. Vessel. Embody.
YOU are part of the equation. Thought and emotion must be in harmony.
On another note, if enough people are suffering, and the din of their voices rises enough, we will ALL hear it and stop all the foolishness. But ain't nobody gonna come save us. That's not what these times are about.

If you pray with a feeling of lack or neediness, it's your energy that drives it. Most people do not pray successfully. Base emotions keep manifestation from happening.
You have to be the vehicle. Channel. Vessel. Embody.
YOU are part of the equation. Thought and emotion must be in harmony.
On another note, if enough people are suffering, and the din of their voices rises enough, we will ALL hear it and stop all the foolishness. But ain't nobody gonna come save us. That's not what these times are about.
Matthew 26:39
“And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”
That’s Jesus (in the garden before the crucifixion I believe) asking God if his sacrifice can be avoided. The key here would be the “thy will be done” part where we acknowledge that our individual human plans don’t supersede God’s plan. Coincidentally, I needed that reminder as this moment, since I just recently prayed very selfishly (as we all do, even Jesus apparently).

Matthew 26:39
“And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”
That’s Jesus (in the garden before the crucifixion I believe) asking God if his sacrifice can be avoided. The key here would be the “thy will be done” part where we acknowledge that our individual human plans don’t supersede God’s plan. Coincidentally, I needed that reminder as this moment, since I just recently prayed very selfishly (as we all do, even Jesus apparently).
I gave up praying like most do at a young age. Didn't adjust it, just more present for the ride.
But yes, same. Our "higher selves" need to collaborate over realities regarding healing. Sometimes those experiences are what those souls need for development. Depends how open various paradigms are.
"Science fiction" world is going to shift a lot of things!

I gave up praying like most do at a young age. Didn't adjust it, just more present for the ride.
But yes, same. Our "higher selves" need to collaborate over realities regarding healing. Sometimes those experiences are what those souls need for development. Depends how open various paradigms are.
"Science fiction" world is going to shift a lot of things!
Ya, I think Jesus example is that we should pray intently for what our heart wants while also trusting God, which is almost unfathomable, but if he did it we should do it.

Back