Forum Fubar?

Kamarling

I also posted this in the Skeptiko Shows sub-forum because that seems to be the only sub-forum that Alex reads. However, due to the fact that every thread in that forum is a sticky, any new thread gets relegated out of sight.

My question is simply: can we expect the several days worth of lost posts to be restored or are they lost? People, it would appear, are reluctant to post anew in case the web hosts find a way to restore to a more recent date thus overwriting what is being posted at this time.

I think the best suggestion is to keep a copy of anything substantial you post, so you can put it back again if there is any further problems. I would guess that if the forum is restored from an earlier version, that is it - I can't imagine Alex would want to try a broken version again!

I do wish Alex would come online and explain what is going on - but he has probably been pretty busy :)

David

I think the best suggestion is to keep a copy of anything substantial you post, so you can put it back again if there is any further problems

That would only work if everyone does the same. Imagine reposting responses without reference to the original post to which you are responding (I'm sure there must be an easier way of saying that!).

What I'm saying is that there is a conversation flow and that pasting bits of it back after a crash would be far from ideal. An obvious solution would be for the admins to keep up-to-date backups.

Just to update, Alex replied to the duplicate post in the Skeptiko Shows forum confirming that the posts are indeed gone with no prospect of recovery.

That would only work if everyone does the same. Imagine reposting responses without reference to the original post to which you are responding (I'm sure there must be an easier way of saying that!).

What I'm saying is that there is a conversation flow and that pasting bits of it back after a crash would be far from ideal. An obvious solution would be for the admins to keep up-to-date backups.
Well I really meant backing up any long piece that you write which is moderately independent of what others have written.

More frequent backups would be nice - but don't look at me - I am just here to bash people :)

David

Back