Is there such a thing as soul death?

In my reading of various spiritual material I came across a curious notion in Campbell's TOE trilogy of what can only be described as soul death. That is, once a soul personality maximizes its entropy through nefarious deeds like murder, rape and so on(think Gilles de Rais and John Wayne Gacy times 100) it will be considered irredeemable and thus sentenced to something like deletion, since Campbell treats the whole of Creation as a sort of VR simulation.

Another example,although not as drastic, is found in Newton's Destiny of Souls, where a guide tells that a series of lives dominated by cruel malicious acts or even multiple suicides sometimes necessitate a cleansing or rebooting process of the soul personality. However few souls choose to lose all of their individuality in that way.

I'll rummage through these books to find the corresponding quotes that mentions these. My question to the forum members is, have you found similar examples in your research, something akin to the materialist atheist concept of eternal oblivion or personality erasure from a spiritual context?

Here is a link.

https://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7477

and an excerpt from Destiny of Souls:

Dr. N: Do souls bear responsibility for their involvement with flawed human beings who injure others in life?

S: Yes, those who have wronged others savagely in a life - I knew one of those souls.

Dr. N: What do you know about this entity? What happened after this soul returned to the spirit world following that life?

S: He ... had hurt a girl ... terribly ... and did not rejoin our group. There was extensive private study for him because he did so poorly while in that body.

Dr. N: What was the extent of his punishment?

S: Punishment is ... a wrong interpretation ... it's regeneration. You have to recognize this is a matter for your teacher. The teachers are more strict with those who have been involved with cruelty.

Dr. N: What does "more strict" mean to you in the spirit world?

S: Well, my friend didn't go back with us ... his friends ... after this sad life where he hurt this girl.

Dr. N: Did he come through the same spiritual gateway as yourself when he died?
S: Yes, but he did not meet with anybody ... he went directly to a place where he was alone with the teacher.

Dr. N: And then what happened to him?

S: After awhile ... not long ... he returned to Earth again as a woman ... where people were cruel ... physically abusive ... it was a deliberate choice ... my friend needed to experience that ...

Dr. N: Do you think this soul blamed the human brain of his former host body for hurting the girl?

S: No, he took what he had done ... back into himself ... he blamed his own lack of skill to overcome the human failings. He asked to become an abused woman himself in the next life to gain understanding ... to appreciate the damage he had done to the girl.

Dr. N: If this friend of yours did not gain understanding and continued involving himself with humans who committed wrongful acts, could he be destroyed as a soul by someone in the spirit world?

S: (long pause) You can't destroy energy exactly ... but it can be reworked ... negativity which is unmanageable ... in many lives ... can be readjusted.

Dr. N:
How?

S: (vaguely) ... Not by destruction ... remodeling ...

http://v-j-enterprises.com/myers/BeyondHumanPersonality.pdf
BEYOND HUMAN PERSONALITY
Being a detailed description of the Future life purporting to be communicated
by the late F. W. H. Myers
[Frederic William Henry Myers, 1843-1901]
Containing an account of the gradual development of human personality into cosmic personality through GERALDINE CUMMINS
Souls are centers of imagination, but some are unable to enter the mind of the Creator, so the spirit of the Group realizing that they are unworthy and unable to attain to immortality, condemns them to disintegration. That is why I called my first book The Road to Immortality and not The Road of Immortality, because some fall by the way: but nothing is wasted, nothing lost. Though the soul has been disintegrated its memories and experiences are retained by the group-soul and are of value to the members of that community.​

Here is a prequel to the above:
"THE ROAD TO IMMORTALITY"
http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/myers/RoadtoImmortality.pdf

Here is some information about the medium:
http://psychictruth.info/Medium_Geraldine_Cummins.htm

Don Juan, the person (character?) in Castaneda's controversial biographical work (fiction?)*, tells us that there is a devouring Eagle that only those properly initiated can pass by while most souls are devoured.

From a philosophical perspective, if we accept Plato's Affinity Argument (and its subsequent variations/updates), souls are indestructible because they grasp the Universals. (See Feser for an updated consideration of the argument.)

*There's a bit of Tricksterish history w.r.t. Castaneda, some practitioners have claimed there is accuracy in the works even if a good bit of the actual text is fictional events and/or characters. I'd take it with a grain of salt personally.

Here is a link.

https://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7477

and an excerpt from Destiny of Souls:

Dr. N: Do souls bear responsibility for their involvement with flawed human beings who injure others in life?

S: Yes, those who have wronged others savagely in a life - I knew one of those souls.

Dr. N: What do you know about this entity? What happened after this soul returned to the spirit world following that life?

S: He ... had hurt a girl ... terribly ... and did not rejoin our group. There was extensive private study for him because he did so poorly while in that body.

Dr. N: What was the extent of his punishment?

S: Punishment is ... a wrong interpretation ... it's regeneration. You have to recognize this is a matter for your teacher. The teachers are more strict with those who have been involved with cruelty.

Dr. N: What does "more strict" mean to you in the spirit world?

S: Well, my friend didn't go back with us ... his friends ... after this sad life where he hurt this girl.

Dr. N: Did he come through the same spiritual gateway as yourself when he died?
S: Yes, but he did not meet with anybody ... he went directly to a place where he was alone with the teacher.

Dr. N: And then what happened to him?

S: After awhile ... not long ... he returned to Earth again as a woman ... where people were cruel ... physically abusive ... it was a deliberate choice ... my friend needed to experience that ...

Dr. N: Do you think this soul blamed the human brain of his former host body for hurting the girl?

S: No, he took what he had done ... back into himself ... he blamed his own lack of skill to overcome the human failings. He asked to become an abused woman himself in the next life to gain understanding ... to appreciate the damage he had done to the girl.

Dr. N: If this friend of yours did not gain understanding and continued involving himself with humans who committed wrongful acts, could he be destroyed as a soul by someone in the spirit world?

S: (long pause) You can't destroy energy exactly ... but it can be reworked ... negativity which is unmanageable ... in many lives ... can be readjusted.

Dr. N:
How?

S: (vaguely) ... Not by destruction ... remodeling ...
So he was to be reincarnated into a body that was fated to be abused by someone? Someone would have to volunteer to be the abuser- but would that be considered wrong behaviour as well?

So he was to be reincarnated into a body that was fated to be abused by someone? Someone would have to volunteer to be the abuser- but would that be considered wrong behaviour as well?

It is quite a paradox. From my understanding, some souls choose hard lives as victims of abuse, while the perpetrators have volunteered to play their role in the prelife planning. Sometimes a perpetrator of abuse steps out of line and causes more harm than that which was planned, expressing regret once the soul group rejoins. It is quite a strange arrangement, but it is easier to view it more as a stage play where lessons are learned. Still that leaves many questions unanswered.

BEYOND HUMAN PERSONALITY
Containing an account of the gradual development of human personality into cosmic personality through GERALDINE CUMMINS
Souls are centers of imagination, but some are unable to enter the mind of the Creator, so the spirit of the Group realizing that they are unworthy and unable to attain to immortality, condemns them to disintegration. That is why I called my first book The Road to Immortality and not The Road of Immortality, because some fall by the way: but nothing is wasted, nothing lost. Though the soul has been disintegrated its memories and experiences are retained by the group-soul and are of value to the members of that community.​

I guess that means that the soul group as a whole is reunited with the Source at the end of their reincarnational cycle, which would involve a whole lot of lifetimes before all the karma is worked out. Shouldn't there be alternatives, like the failed soul be relocated to a group that matches its level of development?

No. All of eternity is our playground, and we can do whatever we want forever.

Want to be a dark lord like Sauron or Ba'alzamon for thousands of years at a time for trillions upon trillions of incarnations? Go for it!

There is nothing we can ever do to jeopardize our spot in eternity, and everyone there wants us to experience everything we wish to experience.

BEYOND HUMAN PERSONALITY

Thanks for these awesome links Jim.

No. All of eternity is our playground, and we can do whatever we want forever.

Want to be a dark lord like Sauron or Ba'alzamon for thousands of years at a time for trillions upon trillions of incarnations? Go for it!

There is nothing we can ever do to jeopardize our spot in eternity, and everyone there wants us to experience everything we wish to experience.

I would like to believe that we are truly indestructible spiritual beings, and we possibly are,yet I have some lingering doubts. Let's say you become such a dark lord of the nonphysical realms taking great joy in tormenting and subjugating the lesser evolved spiritual inhabitants through the centuries. It may come a time when a higher benevolent spiritual force, God-like in power, will eventually decide to bring you to heel, either by destroying you or remodeling. Just speculating here. I often wonder if the Dark Lord archetype portrayed in our culture by Satan, Ahriman, Astaroth, Belial, Shai'Tan in the Wheel of Time(my favorite fantasy series), Voldemort, Sauron etc. originated from memories of extremely powerful negative entities in the nonphysical.

Last edited:
From My Big TOE by Tom Campbell:

" Life-forms in NMPR seem to be much more varied and abundant than they are in PMR. Not all entities inhabiting NMPR are sentient... . You can get hurt(self-inflicted or by other's action) or even killed, though it is very unlikely - there are strict rules regulating violence. Death is by disassociation or the loss of your internal organization. Your identity is dissolved if your energy is reduced to a maximum entropy state approximating the final state predicted by the second law of thermodynamics. Think of degaussing a floppy disk.
Death of an entity is exceedingly rare. If it should happen to you, you would cease to exist in that particular dimensioned reality as well as in other related realities- your defining code and memory, once hopelessly scrambled, is deleted from the simulation. Your current individuated consciousness is held as part of a historical record(last saved file), but you are no longer part of an active actualizing interactive reality; you no longer evolve within that reality, you are gone. You could, theoretically, be reconstituted from the historical record, but I have never seen that happen and suspect that it is rarer than rare."

Back