Jonathan Robinson, can technology help spiritual seekers? |320|

What is wrong with being in the "here and now" of an alternate reality induced by LSD?
Are you not in the "here and now" of a movie you're watching? A book you're reading? A videogame you're playing etc...?

Absolutely not. A book, a movie, a video game are all escape from reality. An imaginary situations made up by someone else. Whatever fragile personality exists, it pretty much disappears when we follow their story.

Veering off topic. One should be careful with what to put into the mind. If you look at a bright light it leaves the spot in the field of vision that persists for some time and interferes with what you see around. And it is similar with any other input. Anything we see on TV leaves similar trace - an advert, TV news etc. If you do it regularly enough this "spot" is all you see, and the reality is blocked or distorted most of the time (all of the time for most). That's one of the reasons to meditate: to clear the mind from ever-present clutter of the media, gossip, chatter and other meaningless noise.

Absolutely not. A book, a movie, a video game are all escape from reality. An imaginary situations made up by someone else. Whatever fragile personality exists, it pretty much disappears when we follow their story..
Well, if you answer with in absolute terms I won't absolutely argue... :)

Still, I am not sure why escaping so called reality or having fun would be an issue for "spiritual seekers". As long as you don't overindulge in it and become addicted ... isn't that the trick?

I know a couple of so called "spiritual people" that are all about meditation and "inner work" who could definitely use a bit more fun and maybe a joint or two :D:D
Striving too much to achieve "spiritual goals" seems another, maybe subtle, form of psychological addiction.

Last edited:
I don't think I ever argued against having fun. As long as we are honest about it. Smoking a joint makes you happy, less anxious, horny and gives you nice dreams, but it doesn't make you more spiritual, whatever it means. By the way, the phrase "spiritual goals" makes no sense. The path is the goal. What are spiritual goals anyway? How do you measure them?

I don't think I ever argued against having fun. As long as we are honest about it. Smoking a joint makes you happy, less anxious, horny and gives you nice dreams, but it doesn't make you more spiritual, whatever it means.
So the answer is what does?

I guess it depends how you define spirituality. Does marijuana help you to figure out the meaning of life? Does it connect you with something bigger than yourself (some random definitions of spirituality from the Internet)? I don't think so. Does getting pissed make you spiritual? Contemplation, meditation, self-analysis - probably more so.

Back