Kevin Annett, Whistleblower of an Evil Church |433|

Thank you for the work and thought you have put into exposing this story on any level. Frankly, for me, I don’t care about Kevin. This is about the children & I think I can speak for any decent human being, it was ALWAYS about the children. I wouldn’t give anyone (Kevin included) money for themselves. I would donate directly to the children or their families. Not through any agencies. I found out how a lot of “agencies” work & it isn’t good. Although, I do like Children’s International because I can talk directly to the families (children) we help.

There will always be people who prey on the weakness or trust of others. But, the message remains the same, the one you tell and the basic one Kevin told. It’s the story, not the storyteller. I mean the human bone thing is pretty nasty in itself and I would probably have spoken out had I been there. WTH are you carrying human bones!? That’s just wrong.

I do have to say I heard a quick note on the Indian schools in Canada years ago but it was quickly forgotten. I’d say this Kevin, at least brought it to light again. I’m in the USA so this won’t make it to news here anymore. To me, this is just a continuation of corruption inside the Catholic business. I’m not Catholic so I don’t have a dog in this fight, but something is really wrong with that religion. Like most things, you can find a lot of good in it, but then when you find the bad, it’s just twice as bad because the kids trusted “God”.

They (these pedophiles) have made God into THEIR image of sickness. They ruined “God” for decent people. I found it odd that Kevin was still in this faith or called himself a minister. I think I would have totally dropped that entire scene & either got into law enforcement, government or some other way to help those children I cared so desperately about. Nobody likes the “piano leg” story because we just wonder how that piano leg got there & how did the piano stand up after removing a leg? It’s a really odd thing to choose... a piano leg. But, the facts remain kids were taken and ALLLLL those Indian (grown people) seem to be pretty upset over something. So, I think there is an awful lot of smoke and there probably was a fire.

On Kevins side, sure maybe he is using this to make money to support himself, using others information. But, he has kept the story alive, so there is that. I know you don’t like him; but, the STORY is real.

Thank you for the work you have done to help those children. Keep it up, don’t let Kevin or anyone stop you. Don’t get rerouted to something that wastes your time. Tell the story about the children NOT Kevin. Nobody cares about Kevin he isn’t the real story here.

Thank you Atlantic.
I agree with 99.9% of your comments and 150% of your kind intentions and good works. I hear a lot of people say the same thing.."well, at least he brought a lot of attention to the problem". To that I have this to say. Back in 1998 there was a Tribunal hosted by Amnesty International and one of it's affiliates. Many of the movers and shakers in the Native activist community were to be there to hear testimony from nearly 100 survivors. There were people from the U.S. too, like Rudy and Diana James who were part of the AIM and knew people like Russel Means and Dennis Banks and Royce and Lydia WhiteCalf. Harriet Nahannee who was a long time protester against logging and pipelines through her territory was there and she got to know Kevin and invited him to participate. It was here that he obtained the testimonies of the survivors that was used without their permission. He caused some arguments between several of the Tribunal 'judges' and the whole process of moving forward to expose the atrocities broke down. The people who had been promised help and anonymity had to write an official complaint to Kevin to get their stories back and to have him not publish them...but it was too late. From those painful memories, he made his movie Unrepentant and from then on he controlled the narrative. The scholars, researchers, activists and leaders who attended that Tribunal never came together again nor did they continue to work together towards the same cause. Many of them gave up trying to expose it because their reputations had been smeared in their community and on the internet. The Tribunal was supposed to gain international attention with the help of Amnesty International....the delegates were planning to go to the UN. Instead, the Canadian Government began their own Truth and Reconciliation hearings where the worst and most damaging testimonies were kept from the public. So when people give credit to this 'person' who has rattled a lot of chains and made a lot of noise, I remind them of all the voices that were silenced because of that rattling.

Thank you for your words of kind support. I have written and stood behind all I have said about this horrific 'man' in order to get him out of the way long enough for the victims to truly heard. On a personal level, I have had the opportunity to work with native people who suffered horribly while at these 'schools' and whose children and grandchildren inherited the pain and trauma suffered there. It is not my place as a white woman of privilege to speak for any Native person about their experience, but I can speak out against the white minister who took advantage of them.

I'm glad that now there are stories coming to light from the people who lived their history....it's putting the power back in the hands of the victims which is where it belongs.

Doesn't every one have some sort of polar view point of them? I never heard of Kevin Arnett until this interview. I hope what he was saying has evidence and can be backed up, I haven't screened him yet. Even sadghuru has articles about him being a fraud, not just one but many

Most guests, celebrities skeptics and scientists etc are screened. I do this for cross referencing purposes. When I was an devout close minded atheist, I made sure I investigated to the best of my resources characters like Shermer, Dawkins and Randi. I found out how intellectually dishonest Randi was and Dawkins was nothing more than a frothing idealogue. Shermer misrepresented stuff, but I can stomach him. Novella makes me nauseated, Is he even a real doctor? Rumors are he is not
http://www.truthwiki.org/steven-novella-md/

Last edited by a moderator:
Block and move on. You guys are diminishing the discussion at hand as pertains to the podcast (you know, that thing we're all here to discuss?)
completely agree. It's been a busy week so I haven't been over here in a few days. I'm not deleting all this nonsense

Something about this guy sounded terribly off. The weird story about the piano leg sounded too grotesque to be true.
if only that were valid criteria :-) the thing to remember about Kevin is that he names:
Kevin Annett: [00:26:15] Well, I’ll give you an example. Um, one of the first forums we held in Vancouver, a woman came and she was almost the only white person. There was almost all native survivors of the death camps, and her name was Maryanne McFarlane. And she’s described how she worked in the Alberni residential school and she got fired because one day she found a matron taking a piano leg and beating a little Indian girl to death with it.

I looked at all this and wasn't very persuaded

I Just want to explain that Enrique Vargas and Baccarat are only banned for a couple of days because I want to emphasise that these forums are read by many, and they are definitely put off by childish squabbles.

If someone is harrassing you, the proper response is to report the post using the button at the botom left hand corner of the offending post.

David
thanks David. I've been away from the Forum for a few days so I apologize for not catching this sooner. I have deleted a bunch of these

Yep - I was surprised Alex had him on. He's been a known charlatan in "conspiracy theory" and "truther" circles for years.
I don't agree. I get that he's someone who's drawn a lot of criticism. that's to be expected. I think he's come through the other side of it with the most important parts of his story being substantiated. this is what whistleblowing looks like.

The trouble is, what you say may be true, but suppose what he says is close to the truth, wouldn't he attract a swarm of people denying what he said? How do we tell whether:

1) People are calling him out because he is talking rubbish.

2) People are calling him out because he is getting close to a terrible truth.

Do you have some evidence that distinguishes between those possibilities?

David
I think Kevin is quite correct when he points out that he would have been sued long ago if his stories were unfounded. he's named a lot of names... you can't get away with that.

Thank you to Alex for exploring this topic.

It raises for me the importance of whistle blowers and the huge challenges they face. Elsewhere on the forum I have seen considerable cynicism about whistle blowers.

I wonder Alex how this interview has affected your thoughts on whistle blowers?
wow... yes... thank you so much. this is what affected me most from this interview.

again, as I said in the interview, imagine being a God loving Church leader whose only desire was to serve his community. a guy who sets up a food bank for indigenous people and other underserved people in his community and then is dragged through hell because he allowed members of his congregation to stand up in front of everyone and tell their truth.

think about that for a minute -- that was his crime! he was told to stop letting these Indians tell what happened to them because it was disturbing other people in the congregation. so even if you want to take a very cynical view of this, take a huge step back and acknowledge that Kevin Annett was destroyed/crushed by a system that ultimately acknowledged exactly the crimes he was exposing.

as phony as their "reconciliation committee" was it called for exactly kind of truth-telling that Kevin began 20 years earlier. this alone is an enormous lifetime accomplishment. it's a truly rare person who has the courage and perseverance to make something like this happen. I don't understand how people don't get this... but then again I do.

Doesn't every one have some sort of polar view point of them? I never heard of Kevin Arnett until this interview. I hope what he was saying has evidence and can be backed up, I haven't screened him yet. Even sadghuru has articles about him being a fraud, not just one but many
can you please give me a link. I search Google but couldn't find.

Also would you mind reaching out to sadguru and see if we can get him on Skeptiko... lots to discuss :-)

Most guests, celebrities skeptics and scientists etc are screened. I do this for cross referencing purposes. When I was an devout close minded atheist, I made sure I investigated to the best of my resources characters like Shermer, Dawkins and Randi. I found out how intellectually dishonest Randi was and Dawkins was nothing more than a frothing idealogue. Shermer misrepresented stuff, but I can stomach him. Novella makes me nauseated, Is he even a real doctor? Rumors are he is not
http://www.truthwiki.org/steven-novella-md/
I don't understand this at all what are you saying
Steven Novella, MD < Yale School of Medicine

I don't understand this at all what are you saying
Steven Novella, MD < Yale School of Medicine
From the link I posted:
Novella works for a medical center that rents the name “Yale” from Yale University, and thus claims that every staff doctor who works with him are “professors at Yale.” (6) (7) The extent of Novella’s career is best defined as a man who testifies for insurance companies, often claiming serious injuries caused no neurological damage and that people are all making false claims or creating self-inflicted injuries to rob the insurance companies.

can you please give me a link. I search Google but couldn't find.

Also would you mind reaching out to sadguru and see if we can get him on Skeptiko... lots to discuss :)
Getting Sadghuru would be tough, I've seen him do interviews on youtube. I personally like the guy. I just get weary when they reach celebrity cult like status. I guess Osho left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll post the articles in a few

From the link I posted:
Novella works for a medical center that rents the name “Yale” from Yale University, and thus claims that every staff doctor who works with him are “professors at Yale.” (6) (7) The extent of Novella’s career is best defined as a man who testifies for insurance companies, often claiming serious injuries caused no neurological damage and that people are all making false claims or creating self-inflicted injuries to rob the insurance companies.
what part of this is incorrect:
Dr. Steven Novella is Assistant Professor of Neurology at the Yale School of Medicine. He earned his M.D. from Georgetown University and completed his residency training in neurology at Yale University. Dr. Novella is active in both clinical research and in medical education at every level, including patients, the public, medical students, and health professionals.

From the link I posted:
Yea... but to be fair, this is a Yale website and they, not he, developed his profile as a "Yale School of Medicine, Assistant Professor of Neurology".

However, I would like to see his billable-time: media hours, external client work hours, patient hours and research/teaching hours billed to the practice by activity code. His timesheets would indicate how much billable work content he spends inside his cited specialties of research - which Yale University indicates as

"ALS, myasthenia gravis, neuropathy, and erythromelalgia"​

When I search both Google, and then ResearchGate for "Steven Novella" "research" and "___________" (the above terms) - I don't get much, except his blog, some skeptic articles, and then finally I get the following publication history:

33 resulting studies, all from May 2012 to Sep 2016. Average author listing rank = #22 of 56 "Authors", with the same 30+ some-odd authors listed on pretty much all the studies.​

Most of these 'studies' turned out to be merely professional publication articles, not inferential studies involving actual research. His average contribution to each of the 33 articles:

"a great big nothing-burger" ...and I quote.​

The question is this "How does his practice afford to keep him?" Most labs and practices cannot afford such 30 to 60% overhead ratio hours for their key researchers. Unless they find someone to pay for those hours ... but how laughably ridiculous would that be? Finding someone to fund his blogging and skeptic hours... hahahahahahahahahaa :D Ridiculous right? Right? Right? :eek:

Perhaps I am wrong, but there does appear to be a bit of a magic levitation act going on with "Dr. Novella".

You know... he would make a cool James Bond villain.... DR NO vella... He even looks like the deranged megacriminal Blofeld a bit.

Dr. No vella.png

Last edited:
what part of this is incorrect:
Dr. Steven Novella is Assistant Professor of Neurology at the Yale School of Medicine. He earned his M.D. from Georgetown University and completed his residency training in neurology at Yale University. Dr. Novella is active in both clinical research and in medical education at every level, including patients, the public, medical students, and health professionals.
Well that's what I'm wondering, that's why I posted the paragraph that says he was at a medical center that rents the name Yale. I don't know what they exactly means to be honest, but raises suspicion. I'm guessing the paragraph I posted is implying Novella is only a Yale professor by association??

Well that's what I'm wondering, that's why I posted the paragraph that says he was at a medical center that rents the name Yale. I don't know what they exactly means to be honest, but raises suspicion. I'm guessing the paragraph I posted is implying Novella is only a Yale professor by association??
I looked up his address, and the building is in the Yale Medical Complex, just off the main campus. Harvard is arranged very much in this same license-consortium fashion. It is a brand, no doubt - and I am absolutely sure that a portion of Novella's over-practice's revenue must be paid as a brand royalty, cooperative, margin allocation or at the very least franchise payment.

The pure market theory is that your hourly rate goes up 50%, but the royalty, brand, license or franchise payment you make is only 12 - 18% of your revenue. So you make 50 cents more on your revenue dollar versus your competition, BUT... Yale takes half of that increase as a royalty on the brand name.

In this circumstance - being Yale, competition is less of an issue, since one is either going to a Yale medical function or one is not. Yale uses its reach to bring you business to which your practice might not otherwise have had access...

...So, Baccarat raises legitimate questions -

1. What actual research has Dr. Novella done which qualifies him to have such a position of authority, and perch of advisement on so many differing topics and court cases? When his depth of research on even his CLAIMED sets of expertise is not very deep - to ghosting?

2. What employments and client engagements are offered him, simply because of this royalty payment to Yale?

These are legitimate questions.

Last edited:
crossposting from: http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/trump-consciousness.4080/post-136461

https://newcriterion.com/issues/2019/9/how-the-great-truth-dawned
Why is it, Solzhenitsyn asks, that Macbeth, Iago, and other Shakespearean evildoers stopped short at a dozen corpses, while Lenin and Stalin did in millions? The answer is that Macbeth and Iago “had no ideology.” Ideology makes the killer and torturer an agent of good, “so that he won’t hear reproaches and curses but will receive praise and honors.” Ideology never achieved such power and scale before the twentieth century.

Anyone can succumb to ideology. All it takes is a sense of one’s own moral superiority for being on the right side; a theory that purports to explain everything; and—this is crucial—a principled refusal to see things from the point of view of one’s opponents or victims, lest one be tainted by their evil viewpoint.

Alex, I watched Unrepentant a few yrs ago and later was unable to find it. Bravo to you for this interview, it took immense courage on your part as well as Kevin's. I watched Unrepentant again, having come to believe in evil spirits in the interim between my first viewing and now. Bringing in SRA was brilliant--it has been bothering me for awhile and this interview adds to my new understanding. This kind of horrific bloodlust is not natural to ensouled humans. I find Gordon's minimization of supernatural evil naive and dangerous in calling it "spirits who are not amenable to human lifeways." Wm James is famed for saying that “the demon hypothesis” has as a result of the “power of fashion in things scientific” stemming from the Enlightenment, been abandoned as “even possible in spite of the massive human tradition based on concrete experience in its favor.” Your interview will help to overcome this abandonment. My deepest thanks.

that seems to clearly NOT be the case.

Back