Lighting The Void: Why Evil Matters

I think he might have been suggesting that other similarly skilled clinicians could follow his methodology.
This was my thought, Alex. The methods and protocols don't require Gerod in order to be validated. The protocol for dealing with one particular phenomenon, for example, practiced by 10 different clinicians with different clients all resulting in the same outcome would demonstrate consistency and predictability. I'm confident that some experimental situations could be devised that would reliably test such a phenomenon.

This was my thought, Alex. The methods and protocols don't require Gerod in order to be validated. The protocol for dealing with one particular phenomenon, for example, practiced by 10 different clinicians with different clients all resulting in the same outcome would demonstrate consistency and predictability. I'm confident that some experimental situations could be devised that would reliably test such a phenomenon.
That would be a fantastic step forward! How would you avoid the obvious criticism that you were invoking a placebo effect? This would seem to require you to randomly ignore Gerod's advise based on a random number generator - which would certainly seem to be unethical - given that you are dealing with fairly vulnerable individuals.

Or can psychologists demonstrate the success of their work without considerations of the placebo effect?

David

That would be a fantastic step forward! How would you avoid the obvious criticism that you were invoking a placebo effect? This would seem to require you to randomly ignore Gerod's advise based on a random number generator - which would certainly seem to be unethical - given that you are dealing with fairly vulnerable individuals.

Or can psychologists demonstrate the success of their work without considerations of the placebo effect?

David
It seems we have come to a point involving a specific experimental design that could test the reality of a particular phenomenon or the efficacy of a treatment method. I think our ideas about such a test may be very different, I don't imagine anything involving a random number generator or ignoring Gerod's advise.

Back