Michael Shellenberger Cancelled for Climate Change Mea Culpa

K9!

New
A Progressive Climate activist has been cancelled by Forbes for admitting "I remained quiet about the climate disinformation campaign because I was afraid of losing friends and funding".

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jo...lpa/wcm/370ca87c-37c3-4376-8e95-78231ae5fd46/

The article by Shellenberger can now be found on Quilette.

https://quillette.com/2020/06/30/on-behalf-of-environmentalists-i-apologize-for-the-climate-scare/

On behalf of environmentalists everywhere, I would like to formally apologize for the climate scare we created over the last 30 years. Climate change is happening. It’s just not the end of the world. It’s not even our most serious environmental problem. I may seem like a strange person to be saying all of this. I have been a climate activist for 20 years and an environmentalist for 30.

But as an energy expert asked by Congress to provide objective expert testimony, and invited by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to serve as expert reviewer of its next assessment report, I feel an obligation to apologize for how badly we environmentalists have misled the public.

Here are some facts few people know:

• Humans are not causing a “sixth mass extinction”
  • The Amazon is not “the lungs of the world”
  • Climate change is not making natural disasters worse
  • Fires have declined 25 percent around the world since 2003
  • The amount of land we use for meat—humankind’s biggest use of land—has declined by an area nearly as large as Alaska
  • The build-up of wood fuel and more houses near forests, not climate change, explain why there are more, and more dangerous, fires in Australia and California
  • Carbon emissions are declining in most rich nations and have been declining in Britain, Germany, and France since the mid-1970s
  • The Netherlands became rich, not poor while adapting to life below sea level
  • We produce 25 percent more food than we need and food surpluses will continue to rise as the world gets hotter
  • Habitat loss and the direct killing of wild animals are bigger threats to species than climate change
  • Wood fuel is far worse for people and wildlife than fossil fuels
  • Preventing future pandemics requires more not less “industrial” agriculture

I know that the above facts will sound like “climate denialism” to many people. But that just shows the power of climate alarmism.

Given Shellenberger's sudden shift away from being progressive, I suspect he he very adept at spotting trends. It seems like he is capitalizing on the cultural shift away from the left by the general public as people reject Marxism.

I'm not sure those @ constructions work on the forum right now - it may be a version change - so if you want to pull him in, I'd message him. Shellenberger might be an interesting guy to have on a podcast - even though I'd have to steel myself for a mountain of moderation work afterwards!

David

I kind of suspect that Shellenberger is adept at following trends. So maybe people are rejecting wokeness and climate activism now.
That would be fantastic news! They have certainly presented their most ugly side just before the election!

The winner (most ugly woman) was the one on the front of that video! It is crazy - you can't discard human nature that completely.

David

Reactions: K9!
Back