Poltergeists - different cases

Well, I only ever had one small insignificant sighting of a ghost, and it doesn't make me an expert. But I don't think I ever considered ghosts to be scary. I was more concerned about the lions and tigers in our backyard at night (there aren't any). Strangely Rupert Sheldrake mentioned the same thing (he's never been to my backyard :) ), that children are afraid of wild animals at night, regardless of whether or not they are there.
I think you're right. It's a powerful influence but it is unwise to extrapolate our personal experience to the general case isn't it? Unless it proves a point. What I mean is that if you saw a ghost and it was a positive experience, that would prove that not all encounters are negative, but wouldn't mean that most weren't if that makes sense?

Fear of wild animals is a rational fear. Worrying about there being one in the house when there is no basis for it is, I'd say, irrational :)

Assuming ghosts/spirits are real and are what we think they are, then there is no more need to be wary of them than of any other person we don't know perhaps. That said, I'd be very uncomfortable finding a stranger in my house uninvited - whether or not they could walk though a wall. :)

Last edited:
I've often thought about this in the context of ghosts, Many people (various friends and acquaintances among them) regard an encounter with a ghost as something to fear, almost by definition. I always think, does that also mean that an encounter with a living person is also something to fear, by definition? To me it seems nonsensical.

I think we're conditioned to fear ghosts. All those horror movies; ghost stories during sleepovers or around a campfire are all centered on creating terror. Then we have the media that focuses on these real cases in which there really is a threat.

The first time I ever saw a ghost I was with two friends. We all saw it; we confirmed we were looking at this ghost. Then suddenly the realization that we were looking at a ghost triggered fear. But in retrospect there was no threat--it was just there hanging out.

For me, when I hear sounds like footsteps when I am alone in the house, Im always frightened. But that's the only ghost activity that seems to trigger fear in me.

When I lived in Virginia in a new housing development that was built adjacent to a civil war battlefield, I frequently saw ghosts in my house. Yet I was never afraid. I was more curious than anything. I'd do reality checks to make sure that I was lucid. I wasn't scared I just wanted to confirm what I was seeing was real.

I had the same reaction when I was touched by a ghost during a brunch at in an old Inn. A hand was placed on the back of my neck, then fingers ran down the full length of my waist length hair. I thought it was my husband, then I turned around to see there wasn't any one within 20 feet of me. Again I was just very very curious. I was scanned the room looking for it.

I read the rest of this post, and mostly agree, or at least sympathise. Still in the specific case of the poltergeist phenomenon, it is usually associated with the presence of a particular adolescent. That stage of life can be troubling, and perhaps the activity is an outlet for an overflowing of youthful exuberance which has no conventional outlet.

There are other types of experiences, perhaps it's the unpleasant ones which make the headlines.

On a somewhat separate topic, I'm very often disappointed by how many movies take paranormal topics and put a frightening spin on them, even benign occurrences are given a dark and menacing narrative interpretation - with a few exceptions. Perhaps we as a society are not yet ready to accept the more joyful possibilities.

I agree. I don't like the fear factor Hollywood interjects into the paranormal. I think it perpetuates the myth that anything to do with the paranormal is evil. That those whose pursue these areas of interest are in communion with the devil. That really irks me to no end.

When I lived in Virginia in a new housing development that was built adjacent to a civil war battlefield, I frequently saw ghosts in my house. Yet I was never afraid. I was more curious than anything. I'd do reality checks to make sure that I was lucid. I wasn't scared I just wanted to confirm what I was seeing was real.

That's very interesting. May I ask when that was, how long were they visible for and what they looked like?

Last edited:
That's very interesting. May I ask when that was, how long were they visible for and what they looked like?

Our house was completed in 2001. We were one of the first families to move in, so the development could not have been more than a year or two old. We lived there for five years.

We were new to the area so we had no idea we were purchasing a house that was adjacent to the battleground. Not that it would have changed our decision to purchase the home.

The spirits could have been there since day one, but I had such a severe allergic reaction to the new construction, I spent the first couple of months sedated by nightly doses of benadryl. Once I weened off the benadryl, I started seeing people in my sitting area in my bedroom. Our bedroom was actually two separate rooms, one room flowing directly into the other with no wall dividing them. The front room was a sitting reading area; the back room the sleeping area. The room was on the second floor, on the front side of the house.

At night the street lights from the main road would illuminate the sitting area enough that I could easily see the furniture in the room.

A couple months after we moved in I awoke to see movements in the sitting room. I sat up in bed to see what was going on. I saw few men and a woman. The men were always sitting on the floor, the woman was standing. I could see them in full. They were dressed in 19th-century clothing. I could see the details clearly. The woman's blouse was distinctly striped. The men wore jackets. They all wore hats.

While I could see them clearly, I could see through them. I could see the furniture and walls through them.

While they looked to be laughing and talking, I never actually heard their voices. I only saw their mouths moving. I could see their hands and arms gesture as they talked and laughed. They never looked in my direction. Nor did they ever interact with me. It was like I wasn't there. They were there for what seemed a couple of minutes.

I know it was not sleep paralysis. I always sat up in my bed to watch them.

This scenario repeated every few weeks. Each time it was the same. I'd wake, some movement would catch my attention, I'd sit up to see what was going on, and there they would be in my sitting room.

After a number of these appearances, I decided to do a thorough reality check. When I next woke up to see the people in my room, I sat up in bed, then looked around my bedroom to confirm it was in fact my room.

I then performed a series of mental and visual checks of the architectural details and lay out of my room. I confirmed the number of windows on the exterior walI. I confirmed the ceiling fan and the fact it was on low just as I had set it before turning in. I confirmed I was in my bed, and my husband was beside me asleep.

I even asked myself: are you awake? Can you control movement of your hands? I looked at my hands and waved them to make sure that I was in fact consciously moving my hands.

Once I confirmed that I was in my bedroom, awake, and lucid, I again looked toward the sitting area. The figures were still there.

So I decided to lie down, close my eyes, and wait a minute.

I then sat up in bed again. Before I looked over toward the sitting area, I told myself there should be nothing there because I was wide-awake, I had been awake for sometime, and I was lucid. I told myself it was all just a dream and enough time past for my head to be clear.

Yet when I looked over to the sitting area the people were still there.

I have seen ghosts on a couple of occasions before and after living in that house. I even saw one in my living room just a few weeks ago. But the only time I've seen full apparitions, distinct figures that perfectly resemble human beings was in that house.

I spoke to my doctor about them early on. He was convinced they were dream hallucinations. As was my husband. The doctor said that since I saw these images for an extended period each time, I was actually continuing to dream while awake. And since I was awake I was lucid enough to be able to comprehend and fully recall all the details.

The problem with that theory though is prior to waking I was not dreaming about these people. And every time this occurred it was actual movement in the sitting room the caught my attention. I fall sleep on my side and normally always wake up on my back. Yet the images were not playing out on the ceiling in front of me. The only place I ever saw the images was in the sitting room. And every time the images were the same. I don't ever recall having the same dream repeat itself, so I don't believe by some fluke I suddenly started dreaming the same dream while wide awake.

I used to keep all the bedroom doors closed because I didn't want the cat to sleep on the beds. For some strange reason a year or so after we adopted the cat, she started sitting in front of my son's bedroom door when no one was in there. Then she took to clawing the carpet, as if she were trying to tunnel under the door. It got so bad that I actually had to have her front paws declawed. She was obsessed with that one bedroom. Even after she was declawed she continued to dig in front of that one bedroom door.

A few times I opened the door to let her in just to see what she would do. But she did nothing. She just sat in the middle of the room and looked around.

It was a brand new house; it was very light and airy inside. It never gave me the creeps. I was never afraid of being in that house.

Back