skeptiko-krauss-upcoming

You are. All we are is Mind.
Yes - but this doesn't say much. I could also say: "You are. All we are is BogoMats". What does that mean? And let's not go down the rabbit hole that all we are is "Nothingness". We might as well put our intellect on the shelf and start using bloody crayons. Let us not trade one rigid dogma "Materialism" for another, "Nothingness". And let us not dismiss our intellect, which ALSO comes from Nature, for some faith created thousands of years ago.

My Best,
Bertha

Last edited:
Lone Shaman, the Electric Universe may well be closer to the mark, but Alex can't possibly question LK about that!
David
Maybe David , we could ask if he's even heard of the EU model, and their predictions ! Or why he hasn't.
Which seem a hell of a lot more sensible than all the meaningless obscure mathematical interpretations , that no one really understands.

I would really like to hear Wal Thornhill on the podcast sometime.

Maybe David , we could ask if he's even heard of the EU model, and their predictions ! Or why he hasn't.
Which seem a hell of a lot more sensible than all the meaningless obscure mathematical interpretations , that no one really understands.

I would really like to hear Wal Thornhill on the podcast sometime.
I know they do, but if you look at the video, LK is an awfully assured individual, who will no doubt brush off the EU model in about one sentence. I don't know if the EU model is correct, but 'dark matter' seems like an awful fudge - so that seems like a good place to start!

David

This is typical of me to always allude to the NDE but I would like Mr Krauss to explain how every single case of veridical OBE's during profound coma did not happen the way the way it was reported. And does he think it is statistically likely that that every single case is either a lucky guess, a retrospective confabulation or a damn lie..

Does he think this patient somehow (for some reason) made this up or is Sabom a liar ?

I was out of my body, they took some stitches inside me first before they did the outside. Then it was just like they saw you up. The shorter doctor started here and worked this way. The other doctor started in the middle and worked up. They had a lot of trouble right here but the rest of it was pretty fast.....and the heart doesn't look like I thought it did. It's big. And this is after the doctor had taken little pieces off it. It's not shaped like I thought it would be.

My heart was shaped something like the continent of Africa with it being larger up here and tapered down. Bean shaped is another way you could describe it...maybe mine is odd shaped. The surface was pinkish and yellow. I thought the yellow part was fat tissue or something. Yucky, kind of. One general area to the right was darker than the rest instead of it being all the same colour.. I could draw you a picture of the saw they used and the thing they separated the ribs with.........

Dr C did most everything from my left side. He cut pieces of my heart off. He raised it and twisted it this way and that way and took quite a bit of time examining it. They even looked at some of the arteries and veins and there was a big discussion on whether they should do the by-pass up here.........that thing they held the chest open with, that's real good steel with no rust, real hard shiny metal. (Stopping the heart) I sensed they did it with the needle when they injected something into my heart. That's scary when you see that thing go right into your heart......................

This is typical of me to always allude to the NDE but I would like Mr Krauss to explain how every single case of veridical OBE's during profound coma did not happen the way the way it was reported. And does he think it is statistically likely that that every single case is either a lucky guess, a retrospective confabulation or a damn lie..

Yes, but won't he just reply that he isn't a medical scientist! I know that isn't really fair because he makes statements about life/consciousness/meaninglessness etc, but I think it is best to be realistic!

David

Yes, but won't he just reply that he isn't a medical scientist! I know that isn't really fair because he makes statements about life/consciousness/meaninglessness etc, but I think it is best to be realistic!

David

Yes, but won't he just reply that he isn't a medical scientist!

He may do that, David but I can't see why he shouldn't be interested in such reports. And he has commented on NDE's, Eben Alexander's in fact, which he dismissed as a dynamite dream.

I see the on going debate (are we just our brains in a pointless universe) as being potentially resolvable by NDE research alone. The above experience is
surely a big pointing finger for meaning and survival or it's a hoax.

Then that means he could/should be asked about NDEs. E.g. What is his basis for making that dismissal? Is it because "it can't be (the universe came out of nothing) therefore it isn't"?
Yes. Expect the "Sean Carrol" card. I.e ... We have looked all over the place and smashed high energy particles, there are no other forms of energy we know about, so there's no place for "other stuff".

It's the most worn out fallacy that every scientist of his time has firmly believed .... Hey we've got it all figured out plus or minus a few details.... Just like before Einstein's relativity or QM came to light... LOL

You might mention to him that we're now going on about 400 years of science not actually knowing what gravity is, or even how it does what it does.

My Best,
Bertha

Reactions: tim
Yes. Expect the "Sean Carrol" card. I.e ... We have looked all over the place and smashed high energy particles, there are no other forms of energy we know about, so there's no place for "other stuff".

It's the most worn out fallacy that every scientist of his time has firmly believed .... Hey we've got it all figured out plus or minus a few details.... Just like before Einstein's relativity or QM came to light... LOL

Yeah, but best we do away with falsification right?
When cosmologists start talking about logic, reason and the scientific method. I have to slap myself.

Possibly relevant:
Both Shermer and Krauss have written articles about Islam. religion and violence at http://smithandfranklin.com/journal-details/Science-Religion-and-Culture/9/current-issue

Man, I really feel bad for the Muslims. Our governments attack us, then blame it on Muslims (then the lie is reinforced by dupes like Krauss, Harris et al.)

As with 9/11, any of you Brits who haven't come to realize what actually occurred on 7/7, might just want to forsake your analytical skills, because they're absolutely worthless. You're clearly not using them.

You might mention to him that we're now going on about 400 years of science not actually knowing what gravity is, or even how it does what it does.

My Best,
Bertha

Or even what it does. Some people believe that on special occasions multi-ton steel beams will 'fall' upwards and laterally.

As with 9/11, any of you Brits who haven't come to realize what actually occurred on 7/7, might just want to forsake your analytical skills, because they're absolutely worthless. You're clearly not using them.

Your mention of 7/7 comes as a relief to me. I had been worried you were developing something of a monomania about 9/11.

I never really comment on 9/11. I don't know who was behind it and it's the worst thing I've ever seen, never get over thinking about those poor souls in the towers. Why do they have to build them so tall, whoever it was will just do it again, I fear.

@AlexT
If we live in a simulation ... who is simulating it? :)

You are. All we are is Mind.

This is what I mean...

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threa...-klaus-donald-degracia.1635/page-2#post-58190

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman
"In Hinduism, Brahman is "the unchanging reality amidst and beyond the world", which "cannot be exactly defined". It has been described in Sanskrit as Sat-cit-ānanda and as the highest reality... According to Advaita, a liberated human being ... has realised Brahman as his or her own true self."

http://www.dondeg.com/metaphysics/Conquest_Of_Illusion.pdf
"In that experience [of Brahman] we are no longer the separate self, we are no longer what we call 'we' in our daily life. Not only are we our entire being, past and future, in that sublime experience of eternity, but we are the reality of all that is, was, or shall be, we are That."

http://www.near-death.com/stewart.html
The metaphor represented by the image I saw and perceived was absolutely clear and I was overwhelmed with the knowledge that WE ARE ALL ONE. I comprehended that our oneness is interconnected by love and is an available, much higher level and means of communication than we normally use but to which we have access. This love is available to anyone who is willing to do the hard spiritual work that will allow us to open our hearts and minds and eyes to Spirit. I remembered the love I had felt in the presence of God and experienced a total sense of love for all existence as an interconnected oneness and a manifestation of God.

http://www.leslieflint.com/transcripts_marshall6p2.html
It is the development and it is the tremendous realisation that one must have eventually of how we are all linked and bound together and how actually the very fundamental thing that flows through us all, is the very essence which is of God. And so we gradually evolve more and more to God or become like him.

I do not refer to shape or form, I refer now to the infinite spirit which is the very life blood you might say of all humanity; where we lose in each other ourselves and discover that we are all in a oneness and in accord. And when we have this oneness and accord we reach a stage of spiritual development where we can be considered to be living in a form if you like of paradise because we are conscious of everything around and about us as being not only "us" but "all".​

How can we all be Brahman when we seem to be individuals and Brahman is everything?

Suppose you could go back in time and meet yourself at a younger age. You would understand all his faults because they were your faults. Your younger-self wouldn't be jealous of your accomplishments and attainments because those will be his in the future. This is a very rough and flawed analogy, but when you meet another person who lacks good qualities, think of that person as your younger-self. When you meet a person who has many accomplishments and attainments, think of that person as your older-self. There is no reason for enmity, jealousy or ill will of any kind. We are all Brahman. We are all one.​

Last edited:
Talk about physics, not philosophy.

From his books, Krauss doesn't have anything positive to say about philosophy, so ask him some fundamental questions about the universe.

He has a knack for explaining physics in an entertaining way, but he is no Feynman.

crossposting from
http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/falsifiability-ready-for-retirement.1851/#post-58210

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/02/20/infinity-ruining-physics/
Infinity Is a Beautiful Concept – And It’s Ruining Physics
By Max Tegmark
Physics is all about predicting the future from the past, but inflation seems to sabotage this. When we try to predict the probability that something particular will happen, inflation always gives the same useless answer: infinity divided by infinity. The problem is that whatever experiment you make, inflation predicts there will be infinitely many copies of you, far away in our infinite space, obtaining each physically possible outcome; and despite years of teeth-grinding in the cosmology community, no consensus has emerged on how to extract sensible answers from these infinities. So, strictly speaking, we physicists can no longer predict anything at all!

Alex, if I'm not too late and you haven't already done the interview, I think the NYTimes review that Bucky linked on the first page is really good prep reading before addressing his ideas/book.

Back